Astronomers Reveal First Image of the Black Hole at the Heart of Our Galaxy

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Astronomers Reveal First Image of the Black Hole at the Heart of Our Galaxy

Post by stonedmegman »

Newswise — At simultaneous press conferences around the world, including at a National Science Foundation-sponsored press conference at the US National Press Club in Washington, D.C., astronomers have unveiled the first image of the supermassive black hole at the center of our own Milky Way galaxy. This result provides overwhelming evidence that the object is indeed a black hole and yields valuable clues about the workings of such giants, which are thought to reside at the center of most galaxies. The image was produced by a global research team called the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) Collaboration, using observations from a worldwide network of radio telescopes.

The image is a long-anticipated look at the massive object that sits at the very center of our galaxy. Scientists had previously seen stars orbiting around something invisible, compact, and very massive at the center of the Milky Way. This strongly suggested that this object — known as Sagittarius A* (Sgr A*, pronounced "sadge-ay-star") — is a black hole, and today’s image provides the first direct visual evidence of it.

Although we cannot see the black hole itself, because it is completely dark, glowing gas around it reveals a telltale signature: a dark central region (called a “shadow”) surrounded by a bright ring-like structure. The new view captures light bent by the powerful gravity of the black hole, which is four million times more massive than our Sun.

“We were stunned by how well the size of the ring agreed with predictions from Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity," said EHT Project Scientist Geoffrey Bower from the Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Academia Sinica, Taipei. "These unprecedented observations have greatly improved our understanding of what happens at the very center of our galaxy, and offer new insights on how these giant black holes interact with their surroundings.” The EHT team's results are being published today in a special issue of The Astrophysical Journal Letters.

https://www.newswise.com/articles/astro ... our-galaxy
QANON IS JUST SCIENTOLOGY FOR HILLBILLIES
Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Astronomers Reveal First Image of the Black Hole at the Heart of Our Galaxy

Post by Animal »

just in time for the Webb to give us 1,000 times better pictures of it in a few months.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Animal wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:27 am just in time for the Webb to give us 1,000 times better pictures of it in a few months.
This image was made using radio telescopes. I don't believe Webb has that capability.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

stonedmegman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:32 am
Animal wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:27 am just in time for the Webb to give us 1,000 times better pictures of it in a few months.
This image was made using radio telescopes. I don't believe Webb has that capability.
yeah, i heard this on the news today. i think they said it took a cooperation between around 18 telescopes around the globe. I have no idea how they do that stuff. It sounded like a huge project with thousands of people working on it.

I was most surprised to even learn that there was a black hole in our galaxy. space is big.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Animal wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:53 am
yeah, i heard this on the news today. i think they said it took a cooperation between around 18 telescopes around the globe. I have no idea how they do that stuff. It sounded like a huge project with thousands of people working on it.

I was most surprised to even learn that there was a black hole in our galaxy. space is big.
One of the telescopes was in Antarctica.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

The image was a combination of radio telescopes world wide mostly from the EU but also NASA. They are land based and suffer the same problems- atmospheric interference. Webb will blow that image away whenever they get around to have it focus there. Still, one of the greatest images ever produced by mankind.
Last edited by CentralTexasCrude on Fri May 13, 2022 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:06 am
The image was a combination of radio telescopes world wide mostly from the EU but also NASA. They are land based and suffer the same problems- atmospheric interference. Webb will blow that image away whenever they get around to have it focus there.
Wrong.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

stonedmegman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:09 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:06 am
The image was a combination of radio telescopes world wide mostly from the EU but also NASA. They are land based and suffer the same problems- atmospheric interference. Webb will blow that image away whenever they get around to have it focus there.
Wrong.
OK I can see what you mean. Radio telescope using frequencies unaffected by the atmosphere. But they are still land based with the problems that means.
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Is this topic about Bicycle Man?
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Plus that image is a computer simulated (kind of) mash of all the radio telescopes data. Webb will be using IR technology way beyond anything radio telescopes could ever offer.
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Post by necronomous »

Looks like a glowing butthole
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

necronomous wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:22 am Looks like a glowing butthole :banplz:
Probably several Black Holes in our Galaxy core. This is the biggest by far and known about for awhile. It's name is Sagitarious (sp) 1. This image is right up there with the greatest astronomical ones ever made.
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Post by necronomous »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:50 am
necronomous wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:22 am Looks like a glowing butthole :banplz:
Probably several Black Holes in our Galaxy core. This is the biggest by far and known about for awhile. It's name is Sagitarious (sp) 1. This image is right up there with the greatest astronomical ones ever made.
ok

Still looks like a glowing butthole
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Cheezy will be around soon to put his tongue into it.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

By the title I was expecting more like this
NSFW below

du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
Homebrew
Actually drinks Natty Lite.

Post by Homebrew »

What if it was one guy with six guns?
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

QillerDaemon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:21 am Cheezy will be around soon to put his tongue into it.
:lol: :lol: