Alabama Lawmakers Pass Bill Banning Nearly All Abortions

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Alabama Lawmakers Pass Bill Banning Nearly All Abortions

Post by CaptQuint »

Updated Wednesday at 12:03 a.m. ET

The Alabama Senate passed a bill Tuesday evening to ban nearly all abortions. The state House had already overwhelmingly approved the legislation. It's part of a broader anti-abortion strategy to prompt the U.S. Supreme Court to reconsider the right to abortion.

It would be one of the most restrictive abortion bans in the United States. The bill would make it a crime for doctors to perform abortions at any stage of a pregnancy, unless a woman's life is threatened or in case of a lethal fetal anomaly.

The vote was 25-6, with one abstention.

Doctors in the state would face felony jail time up to 99 years if convicted. But a woman would not be held criminally liable for having an abortion.

There are no exceptions in the bill for cases of rape or incest, and that was a sticking point when the Alabama Senate first tried to debate the measure last Thursday. The Republican-majority chamber adjourned in dramatic fashion when leaders tried to strip a committee amendment that would have added an exception for cases of rape or incest.

"Human life has rights, and when someone takes those rights, that's when we as government have to step in," said Republican Clyde Chambliss, the Senate sponsor of the abortion ban.

The amendment has divided Republicans. Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth, who presides over the Senate, posted on Twitter that his position is simple — "Abortion is murder." But other Senate leaders have insisted that there be exceptions for rape and incest.

Democratic Sen. Vivian Davis Figures questioned why supporters would not want victims of rape or incest to have an exception for a horrific act.

"To take that choice away from that person who had such a traumatic act committed against them, to be left with the residue of that person if you will, to have to bring that child into this world and be reminded of it every single day," Figures said.

Republican Gov. Kay Ivey has not said whether she will sign it, and said she was waiting for a final version of the bill. She is considered a strong opponent of abortion.

The ACLU of Alabama says it will sue if the bill becomes law. "This bill will not take effect anytime in the near future, and abortion will remain a safe, legal medical procedure at all clinics in Alabama," the organization tweeted Tuesday night, along with a map showing clinic locations in the state.

In recent years, conservative states have passed laws that have chipped away at the right to abortion with stricter regulations, including time limits, waiting periods and medical requirements on doctors and clinics. This year state lawmakers are going even further now that there's a conservative majority on the U.S. Supreme Court.

"The strategy here is that we will win," says Alabama Pro-Life Coalition President Eric Johnston, who helped craft the Alabama abortion ban.

"There are a lot of factors and the main one is two new judges that may give the ability to have Roe reviewed," Johnston said. "And Justice Ginsburg — no one knows about her health."

So states are pushing the envelope. Several, including Alabama's neighbors Georgia and Mississippi, have passed laws that prohibit abortion once a fetal heartbeat can be detected. But the drafters of the Alabama bill think by having no threshold other than if a woman is pregnant, their law might be the one ripe for Supreme Court review.

The National Organization for Women denounced the ban's passage.

"This unconstitutional measure would send women in the state back to the dark days of policymakers having control over their bodies, health and lives," the organization said in a statement. "NOW firmly believes that women have the constitutional right to safe, legal, affordable and accessible abortion care and we strongly oppose this bill and the other egregious pieces of legislation that extremist lawmakers are trying to pass in what they claim is an attempt to force the Supreme Court to overturn Roe."

Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Re: Alabama Lawmakers Pass Bill Banning Nearly All Abortions

Post by Charliesheen »

Democracy is a great thing, unless it gores a lib sacred cow. Too soon to wonder when Democrats will no longer desire to be the party of saline and suction, like they claimed to switch sides and no longer be the racist party?
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Republicans love telling people what they should do with their bodies 'cause Jesus.
I blame Biker.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:06 pm Republicans love telling people what they should do with their bodies 'cause Jesus.
Ironic coming from a disciple of the party that wants to tell us how much soda we're allowed to drink.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Stapes

Post by Stapes »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:19 pm
Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:06 pm Republicans love telling people what they should do with their bodies 'cause Jesus.
Ironic coming from a disciple of the party that wants to tell us how much soda we're allowed to drink.
What state banned soda?
I blame Biker.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:32 pm
What state banned soda?
Not banned, limited volume. Not state, New York City's dictatorial mayor.
Stapes

Post by Stapes »

Antknot wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:39 pm
What state banned soda?

So the "Republican" mayor of New York City tried to have supersized sodas eliminated and that is now a platform of the Democratic Party? Do you see how silly you all sound by just throwing bullshit out there without and real basis in facts?
By the way that ban was shot down by the courts. And yes Bloomberg was a Republican while mayor
I blame Biker.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:43 pm
What state banned soda?

So the "Republican" mayor of New York City tried to have supersized sodas eliminated and that is now a platform of the Democratic Party? Do you see how silly you all sound by just throwing bullshit out there without and real basis in facts?
By the way that ban was shot down by the courts. And yes Bloomberg was a Republican while mayor
Nope Bloomberg left the Republican party.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

Stapes

Post by Stapes »

De Blasio represents the whole Dem party? lol
I blame Biker.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:55 pm

De Blasio represents the whole Dem party? lol
No, but he is indicative of the way the party is going and directly affects nearly 4 million more people in NYC than are in Alabama.
Last edited by Antknot on Wed May 15, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:43 pm
What state banned soda?

He started as an R and then wasn't. Probably because he is undeniably left leaning.
Doesn't change the fact that it was proposed and approved by left leaning individuals within the NYC system. It took the state Supreme Court to halt the progressive retardation. :lol:
This is factual.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Stapes

Post by Stapes »

Its fantastic how adept you guys are at changing your position. Cheezy makes a blanket statement saying the Democratic party is banning soda as an argument against Republicans repeated attempts to take away women's choice. When that statement is challenged and can't be argued.....you go looking under rocks for something and find one example of a liberal leaning mayor and a failed liberal policy against oversized soda. Well fuck me I guess you win. The whole Democratic party hates soda. And Bloomberg one election "TWICE' as a Republican but I guess he was so disgusted by you fucks he changed to Independent. Still not a Dem.
I blame Biker.
PimpDaddy
Flat and Bony Ass Lover

Post by PimpDaddy »

Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:11 pm Its fantastic how adept you guys are at changing your position. Cheezy makes a blanket statement saying the Democratic party is banning soda as an argument against Republicans repeated attempts to take away women's choice. When that statement is challenged and can't be argued.....you go looking under rocks for something and find one example of a liberal leaning mayor and a failed liberal policy against oversized soda. Well fuck me I guess you win. The whole Democratic party hates soda. And Bloomberg one election "TWICE' as a Republican but I guess he was so disgusted by you fucks he changed to Independent. Still not a Dem.
Seriously, right? That would be like saying when Alabama passes a bill (not a law), the entire Republican Party platform is on the hook. Retarded, right?
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:11 pm Its fantastic how adept you guys are at changing your position. Cheezy makes a blanket statement saying the Democratic party is banning soda as an argument against Republicans repeated attempts to take away women's choice. When that statement is challenged and can't be argued.....you go looking under rocks for something and find one example of a liberal leaning mayor and a failed liberal policy against oversized soda. Well fuck me I guess you win. The whole Democratic party hates soda. And Bloomberg one election "TWICE' as a Republican but I guess he was so disgusted by you fucks he changed to Independent. Still not a Dem.
I'm not changing anything. Bloomberg is Left and NYC is Left. It also had to be approved by the health board. I wonder which way they lean? :lol:
Stapes

Post by Stapes »

PimpDaddy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:56 pm
Seriously, right? That would be like saying when Alabama passes a bill (not a law), the entire Republican Party platform is on the hook. Retarded, right?

Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, Ohio.....all trying to ban abortion. All Republican led. So yeah. A party platform.

Democratic states banning soda? zero.
I blame Biker.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

You might want to take a look at the official RNC platform there chief, it calls for a constitutional amendment to ban all abortion.
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

The constitutionality of this law will be tested in court. Two questions should be asked:

should abortion be legal?
Is Roe v. Wade good law (no)?

I expect this court to strike down anti abortion laws.
Stapes

Post by Stapes »

I expect your wrong. We are entering an era of unprecedented female representation and it will only get stronger. This is the last gasp of your bible thumping, old white men. The sooner we get religion out of politics again the better the country will be.
I blame Biker.
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm I expect your wrong. We are entering an era of unprecedented female representation and it will only get stronger. This is the last gasp of your bible thumping, old white men. The sooner we get religion out of politics again the better the country will be.
I expect you need to reread what I wrote.
PimpDaddy
Flat and Bony Ass Lover

Post by PimpDaddy »

Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm We are entering an era of unprecedented female representation and it will only get stronger.
WHAT? Sorry, man. That ERA was entered and it's already over. We are now in some fucked up era of LGBT and non-binary genderqueers, and the even the females are pissed about it.

Stapes

Post by Stapes »

VinceBordenIII wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:39 pm
Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm I expect your wrong. We are entering an era of unprecedented female representation and it will only get stronger. This is the last gasp of your bible thumping, old white men. The sooner we get religion out of politics again the better the country will be.
I expect you need to reread what I wrote.
I suspect I did read your last sentence incorrectly and expect better of my self. Please accept my apology.
I blame Biker.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

Stapes wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, Ohio.....all trying to ban abortion. All Republican led. So yeah. A party platform.

Democratic states banning soda? zero.
Get your facts straight. Nobody said sodas were being banned. The dims tried to limit the amount.
Stapes

Post by Stapes »

Alabama:

More than a quarter of their children live in poverty....30% of those are under the age of 5.

Only half of their 67 counties have an obstetrician.

They have the Second Highest infant mortality rate and

the fifth highest child poverty rate in the country.

They have ZERO maternity or family leave laws.

Maybe the ReThugs should stop trying to throw red meat to the base and actually do something for people.

https://theslot.jezebel.com/motherhood- ... UNHkLzG5uo
I blame Biker.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Republicans are funny things.

REPUBLICANS: "My right to own any gun I want shall not be infringed upon! Any gun laws are a violation of my rights! FREEDOM!"

ALSO REPUBLICANS: "We're going to tell women what they can and can't do with their own bodies!"

Where's the "freedom" for those women?
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.