DeSantis scores a victory over Disney

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.
Anyone posting Ben Garrison comics gets a three-day vacation.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

DeSantis scores a victory over Disney

Post by CHEEZY17 »

US judge dismisses Disney's lawsuit accusing DeSantis of retaliation

"Disney lacks standing to sue the Governor or the Secretary," the judge said in his ruling, according to a court filing. The company's claims against the Central Florida Tourism Oversight district board also fail because "when a statute is facially constitutional, a plaintiff cannot bring a free-speech challenge by claiming that the lawmakers who passed it acted with a constitutionally impermissible purpose."
https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-judge- ... 024-01-31/

Judge dismisses Disney’s lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and his allies

A US judge has dismissed Disney’s lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and his political allies, including the board he appointed to oversee Disney’s property in Florida.

The judge’s ruling is a win for the governor’s escalating legal battle with the entertainment giant.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/31/business ... index.html
---------------------------------

So many LOLZ!
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: DeSantis scores a victory over Disney

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Corrupt Republican judges are the worst!
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

My boy reminding those who doubted his battle with Disney that they were wrong.
DeSantis: 1
Disney: 0

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Ah, well, he did replace Reedy Creek with a panel of his own cronies, that's working out well. A private company whose real estate holdings are controlled by essentially a government agency of governor appointees, so much for actual free enterprise. It's already had a bad effect on the roads in and around Disney, pot holes. Disney fixed them that day with Reedy Creek, now they're not being fixed at all. That's a good look for the largest private employer and the single largest destination in the state.

I'm glad as a resident of the state and someone who lives relatively close to Disney that Ronnie has solved so much of the state's problems, he can play around with "woke" culture battles that have no benefit to the average state resident. I mean, he's certainly made it so almost no woman can get a medical abortion (unless she's rich enough and has the means to go to a state where the procedure is still available), and if the home owner's insurance is doubled and tripled for many people that they're pretty much priced out of home ownership, it's a small price to pay to show who's boss.

Rhonda's next big idea is to get rid of county property taxes, and in their place, a new "consumption" tax. "Consumption" is basically the same word as "sales", so now people who don't (and can't) pay property taxes now get to pay them in a higher sales tax. Will DeSanctamonious actually raise a tax on the average Florida resident? I thought taxes were against Republican principles. The benefit will only be with large property holding companies who buy a considerable number of homes in this state, and that's often kept the average home buyer out of the market. Meatball Ron (Trump's own term) has also reduced incentives to build affordable housing, so if you want to move here and don't have the cash for a decent down payment, it's going to be a lifetime of renting. Don't Republicans want private home ownership? I though they did.

And now he thinks he's done something special because he's taught Disney a lesson. Disney will outlast him, and he'll be a sour footnote on the list of horrible state governors. And Disney will get theirs back in time. I'm no fan of Disney, haven't been on Disney property in almost 20 years. And Disney has done a lot of awful things locally and state-wide in the past that were just alright with the ruling Republicans. When Disney was still writing out all those nice fat campaign checks in much larger amounts to Republicans (even to Puddin' Fingers) than they wrote to Democrats by far. Checks and resort freebies, the Republicans loved Disney while they were getting them. Then Disney stopped with the cash, and how they're the "woke" company?
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

QillerDaemon wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:35 pm Ah, well, he did replace Reedy Creek with a panel of his own cronies, that's working out well. A private company whose real estate holdings are controlled by essentially a government agency of governor appointees, so much for actual free enterprise. It's already had a bad effect on the roads in and around Disney, pot holes. Disney fixed them that day with Reedy Creek, now they're not being fixed at all. That's a good look for the largest private employer and the single largest destination in the state.

I'm glad as a resident of the state and someone who lives relatively close to Disney that Ronnie has solved so much of the state's problems, he can play around with "woke" culture battles that have no benefit to the average state resident. I mean, he's certainly made it so almost no woman can get a medical abortion (unless she's rich enough and has the means to go to a state where the procedure is still available), and if the home owner's insurance is doubled and tripled for many people that they're pretty much priced out of home ownership, it's a small price to pay to show who's boss.

Rhonda's next big idea is to get rid of county property taxes, and in their place, a new "consumption" tax. "Consumption" is basically the same word as "sales", so now people who don't (and can't) pay property taxes now get to pay them in a higher sales tax. Will DeSanctamonious actually raise a tax on the average Florida resident? I thought taxes were against Republican principles. The benefit will only be with large property holding companies who buy a considerable number of homes in this state, and that's often kept the average home buyer out of the market. Meatball Ron (Trump's own term) has also reduced incentives to build affordable housing, so if you want to move here and don't have the cash for a decent down payment, it's going to be a lifetime of renting. Don't Republicans want private home ownership? I though they did.

And now he thinks he's done something special because he's taught Disney a lesson. Disney will outlast him, and he'll be a sour footnote on the list of horrible state governors. And Disney will get theirs back in time. I'm no fan of Disney, haven't been on Disney property in almost 20 years. And Disney has done a lot of awful things locally and state-wide in the past that were just alright with the ruling Republicans. When Disney was still writing out all those nice fat campaign checks in much larger amounts to Republicans (even to Puddin' Fingers) than they wrote to Democrats by far. Checks and resort freebies, the Republicans loved Disney while they were getting them. Then Disney stopped with the cash, and how they're the "woke" company?
Why don't you tell us how you really feel. :D
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady

Post by QillerDaemon »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:00 am Why don't you tell us how you really feel. :D
Well, ya know, I get a little tired of all the bullshit coming out of Tallawhackie by our governor and legislature. They haven't really been running the state over the last twenty-something years to the benefit of all state residents, and it really shows with li'l Ronnie's antics. This is becoming an unlivable and unaffordable place, yet somehow all the Florida Sunshine will cure our state problems. And he and they have done nothing to help. Some may appreciate his stunts, but I don't and honestly don't care who hears it.

Another new trick up his sleeve:

Well, maybe if he'd quit spending state money on shipping refugees to other states, stopped sending our National Guard to Texas, stop with his idiotic campaign at citizen expense, and quit worrying about staging a cultural war with Disney, and actually do something, achieve something, to make the state he's supposed to govern livable, maybe Florida could be the paradise he so loves to advertise it as.

You wanted this guy as a presidential candidate? Christ, what's wrong with the forever stew between your ears you claim as brains? What the hell do you think he's really done for this state that so admirable? What the hell have so many southern Republican governors done for their states that's truly worthwhile for the people who live in their states?

Disney truthfully and frankly is the least of this state's many actual problems. That's how I really feel.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:31 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:00 am Why don't you tell us how you really feel. :D
Well, ya know, I get a little tired of all the bullshit coming out of Tallawhackie by our governor and legislature. They haven't really been running the state over the last twenty-something years to the benefit of all state residents, and it really shows with li'l Ronnie's antics. This is becoming an unlivable and unaffordable place, yet somehow all the Florida Sunshine will cure our state problems. And he and they have done nothing to help. Some may appreciate his stunts, but I don't and honestly don't care who hears it.

Another new trick up his sleeve:

Well, maybe if he'd quit spending state money on shipping refugees to other states, stopped sending our National Guard to Texas, stop with his idiotic campaign at citizen expense, and quit worrying about staging a cultural war with Disney, and actually do something, achieve something, to make the state he's supposed to govern livable, maybe Florida could be the paradise he so loves to advertise it as.

You wanted this guy as a presidential candidate? Christ, what's wrong with the forever stew between your ears you claim as brains? What the hell do you think he's really done for this state that so admirable? What the hell have so many southern Republican governors done for their states that's truly worthwhile for the people who live in their states?

Disney truthfully and frankly is the least of this state's many actual problems. That's how I really feel.
So, No on your next Desantis Governor vote. I'm sure the Florida Election Board has already been notified. :D
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Disney might do to Florida the same that Elon did to California and tell them to fuck off. But, like Ron knows, they couldn't afford the move and they can't afford less favorable weather.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:36 am Disney might do to Florida the same that Elon did to California and tell them to fuck off. But, like Ron knows, they couldn't afford the move and they can't afford less favorable weather.
Sure cuts into the "woke" mentality when they start factoring in the corporate costs. That's the way you get a company back on an even keel. Always been that way.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

QillerDaemon wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:35 pm Ah, well, he did replace Reedy Creek with a panel of his own cronies, that's working out well. A private company whose real estate holdings are controlled by essentially a government agency of governor appointees, so much for actual free enterprise. It's already had a bad effect on the roads in and around Disney, pot holes. Disney fixed them that day with Reedy Creek, now they're not being fixed at all. That's a good look for the largest private employer and the single largest destination in the state.

If you want to say a private entity is going to be faster and more efficient at fixing and maintaining property than the government you'll get no pushback from me. Thats a given. Privatization will almost always be better in that respect.
The point was if Disney should have governmental control AND be a private entity. If its so great why not have corporations run all of our cities? Probably not a great idea, right?
Maybe Ford and General Motors should team up and run Detroit? How about Boeing or Starbucks running Seattle? I'll pass as would you I'm sure.
And do you think the Disney donations to R's slipping has something to do with their undeniable shift Left? Of course as the company moved Leftward the donations to R's would decrease. That seems perfectly logical.
As far as the sales tax goes I see no issue because that puts everyone in the game and is the most equitable tax there is. Poor people buy less than rich people so rich people will still pay more. Isnt that the desired outcome?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:04 am
Animal wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:36 am Disney might do to Florida the same that Elon did to California and tell them to fuck off. But, like Ron knows, they couldn't afford the move and they can't afford less favorable weather.
Sure cuts into the "woke" mentality when they start factoring in the corporate costs. That's the way you get a company back on an even keel. Always been that way.
actually, Disney is in quite the predicament with all of this. Because they are in the entertainment business, most of Disney employees are young, theatrical, flamboyant (if you know what I mean). Its simply the nature of the business when it comes to hiring people that want to dress up like chipmunks or sing and dance all day. And, as an employer, you can't just tell your employees to go fuck themselves and do their jobs and shut the fuck up. You have to show them some support. Which is pretty much all that Disney has done.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:54 am

If you want to say a private entity is going to be faster and more efficient at fixing and maintaining property than the government you'll get no pushback from me. Thats a given. Privatization will almost always be better in that respect.
The point was if Disney should have governmental control AND be a private entity. If its so great why not have corporations run all of our cities? Probably not a great idea, right?
Maybe Ford and General Motors should team up and run Detroit? How about Boeing or Starbucks running Seattle? I'll pass as would you I'm sure.
And do you think the Disney donations to R's slipping has something to do with their undeniable shift Left? Of course as the company moved Leftward the donations to R's would decrease. That seems perfectly logical.
As far as the sales tax goes I see no issue because that puts everyone in the game and is the most equitable tax there is. Poor people buy less than rich people so rich people will still pay more. Isnt that the desired outcome?
i'm not sure that's a fair comparison. In the area that Disney controls the maintenance, they are pretty much the only occupant. Starbucks and Ford or General Motors aren't even close to that same level in Detroit or Seattle. But if you carved out a small section around the GM plant in Detroit and told GM they could have a special district but they have to maintain all of the infrastructure, I would be fine with that.

Disney made that deal when Florida was staring at wasted space swamp land. Disney said "we will come in and build here, but we want to be in control". In other words, this is going to cost a shit ton of money and we don't want you guys taking our tax money and spending it on other stuff that has nothing to do with Disney. And, because of what a great deal this was for Florida, they jumped on it. Now they are re-negging on the deal. Which is always a shitty look. At least to me.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:03 pm
actually, Disney is in quite the predicament with all of this. Because they are in the entertainment business, most of Disney employees are young, theatrical, flamboyant (if you know what I mean). Its simply the nature of the business when it comes to hiring people that want to dress up like chipmunks or sing and dance all day. And, as an employer, you can't just tell your employees to go fuck themselves and do their jobs and shut the fuck up. You have to show them some support. Which is pretty much all that Disney has done.
:lol: "dress up like chipmunks" About fell out of my chair.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Animal wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:03 pm
The problem arises when "all that they have done" is to cross into that gray area of politics. Showing support for their employees ventured into the public political realm when they thought the misnamed "Dont say gay" bill actually said that... (it doesnt). Like it or not Disney is a public company and doing things that are bad for business, like taking a VERY public stand on a divisive political issue, is bad for business. Since Disney's hard turn Left years ago the stock has plunged and the Disney board is now facing a hostile takeover from numerous allied large investors/stakeholders that want to right the ship. As a Disney shareholder I follow this news pretty closely. I bought a shit load when I heard about the possible takeover attempt and since that news the stock has actually risen nicely.
Now, what does all that have to do with the hand-picked quasi government Disney had in Reedy Creek? Was DeSantis being a bit petty when Disney very publicly (and errantly) came out against him politically? Maybe, but again, that is the danger when a public company ventures into the controversial political world and are on shaky ground to start with. Disney may be the largest employer in the state but not everyone loves them or their recent political activism. It may seem petty or unnecessary (and thats a matter of opinion) but as the courts have shown there was nothing illegal or "wrong" about it.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

the stock has risen nicely because they brought Igerback. The real jump, about a month ago was when they reinstated the dividend (albeit a fraction of what it used to be) and when their actual outlook started to look good. Topped off by Iger announcing that they had turned a corner.

They had a poor man in charge when this political stuff was done and it was done because of a ground swell of pressure from the employees. He caved to what the employees wanted and it hurt the company. More of this cancel culture that we live in now days. Its the same thing the democrats do but this time by magas. Disney will survive the storm. This is not their biggest problem by a long shot.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Animal wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:27 am the stock has risen nicely because they brought Igerback. The real jump, about a month ago was when they reinstated the dividend (albeit a fraction of what it used to be) and when their actual outlook started to look good. Topped off by Iger announcing that they had turned a corner.

They had a poor man in charge when this political stuff was done and it was done because of a ground swell of pressure from the employees. He caved to what the employees wanted and it hurt the company. More of this cancel culture that we live in now days. Its the same thing the democrats do but this time by magas. Disney will survive the storm. This is not their biggest problem by a long shot.
The reinstatement of the dividend was because of pressure from Peltz and the other large investors angered over Disney's abandonment of quality to push agendas resulting in a string of big budget failures.
It was an attempt to placate and/or squash the takeover talks. When that failed Iger and the board added two more friendly board seats to further hamper takeover plans. Nelson Peltz (Trian partners*) and Ike Perlmutter (former head of Marvel and HUGE shareholder) together with other huge Disney shareholders, possibly including Elon Musk, are still talking takeover to put the focus back onto profitability instead of activism. Thats not me saying it thats them saying it. Together I believe they own a plurality of Disney stock and will be forcing a shareholder vote soon. This is why Iger is now saying things people want to hear. If and when the takeover happens Iger will eventually be fired.
Iger is part of the problem and not anywhere close to the solution. Iger is talking a good game now but almost the entirety of the bad business decisions were made prior to Chapek being installed as the fall guy. Iger let Chapek take the heat for many of the bad decisions that happened to come to fruition under his stewardship. Chapek also made some bad decsions on his own though. Iger then forced out Chapek with his friendly board members and tried to come in as the savior. He has recently sold an enormous portion of his Disney shares because he sees the writing on the wall.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trian_Partners
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i can assure you of one thing. Peltz is swimming in waters that are much too deep for him. Iger can and will eat him alive. Peltz doesn't know jack shit about the entertainment industry. He has not brought one fresh idea or one suggestion on change. Every complaint the has brought up were mistakes made under Chapek (or whatever that last guy's name was). Peltz has compared Disney's earnings to Amazon and Apple and Meta. Big tech companies that have nothing to do with the business that Disney is in and companies in an industry that have outperformed every business in every industry. Peltz's financial empire is in its own state of ruin with even his family members jumping ship. His 2% voting share is not even the tail trying to wag the dog. My bet is that Iger wins this one.

and as far as the dividend, there have been plans for 2 years to reinstate the earnings. Disney has always been known as a dividend stock. and they will get back to that. Covid and shutting down their parks forced them to suspend the dividend temporarily. It was never a permanent move. Reinstating that dividend had zero to do with Peltz.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Animal wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:17 am i can assure you of one thing. Peltz is swimming in waters that are much too deep for him. Iger can and will eat him alive. Peltz doesn't know jack shit about the entertainment industry. He has not brought one fresh idea or one suggestion on change. Every complaint the has brought up were mistakes made under Chapek (or whatever that last guy's name was). Peltz has compared Disney's earnings to Amazon and Apple and Meta. Big tech companies that have nothing to do with the business that Disney is in and companies in an industry that have outperformed every business in every industry. Peltz's financial empire is in its own state of ruin with even his family members jumping ship. His 2% voting share is not even the tail trying to wag the dog. My bet is that Iger wins this one.

and as far as the dividend, there have been plans for 2 years to reinstate the earnings. Disney has always been known as a dividend stock. and they will get back to that. Covid and shutting down their parks forced them to suspend the dividend temporarily. It was never a permanent move. Reinstating that dividend had zero to do with Peltz.
You have to remember its not just Peltz. Perlmutter was a former Disney exec and head of Marvel with over 30 million shares and they have some institutional investors as well as possibly Elon Musk behind them. Couple that with a public shareholder vote and anything can happen. I know that I will be voting my shares for Peltz and his group and I'd imagine there are lots of small investors that feel the same.
Here is a link explaining his bid:
https://restorethemagic.com/?gad_source ... LuEALw_wcB

Disney CEO Bob Iger Quietly Dumps Company Stock Before Billionaire Showdown
https://insidethemagic.net/2024/02/disn ... 0204%2C899.

Disney Restores Dividend With 30-Cent, Second-Half Payout
"Disney has been under pressure to improve its performance and restore its dividend by activist investor Nelson Peltz, who is seeking board seats at the company."
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/disney-rest ... -1.2005648

Disney Brings Back Dividend Pushed for by Activist Peltz
https://www.barrons.com/articles/disney ... z-eb9ff666
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:59 am
Animal wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:17 am i can assure you of one thing. Peltz is swimming in waters that are much too deep for him. Iger can and will eat him alive. Peltz doesn't know jack shit about the entertainment industry. He has not brought one fresh idea or one suggestion on change. Every complaint the has brought up were mistakes made under Chapek (or whatever that last guy's name was). Peltz has compared Disney's earnings to Amazon and Apple and Meta. Big tech companies that have nothing to do with the business that Disney is in and companies in an industry that have outperformed every business in every industry. Peltz's financial empire is in its own state of ruin with even his family members jumping ship. His 2% voting share is not even the tail trying to wag the dog. My bet is that Iger wins this one.

You have to remember its not just Peltz. Perlmutter was a former Disney exec and head of Marvel with over 30 million shares and they have some institutional investors as well as possibly Elon Musk behind them. Couple that with a public shareholder vote and anything can happen. I know that I will be voting my shares for Peltz and his group and I'd imagine there are lots of small investors that feel the same.

"Disney has been under pressure to improve its performance and restore its dividend by activist investor Nelson Peltz, who is seeking board seats at the company."

you are getting a bunch of one-sided news. I get that you are mad that disney did some woke stuff. but this takeover attempt is lame. and anyone that thinks his reasoning is sound is only interested in the demise of Disney and certainly not in the future of the company. This whole thing is simply an investor looking to capitalize on a stock play and then sellinga story to a bunch of people as some War against Woke. These guys don't gamble these sums of money on moral points or statements. Peltz is in this to force Isner to get the stock value up (to avoid a takeover) so Peltz can sell and make some money in the meantime. That's the only goal here.

the only real hammer that Pelz has is when Perrimer (sp?) signed his voting rights over to him. Without those shares, he would just be a much smaller yapping dog.

Ask yourself, as an investor are you simply hoping that Pelz's game lifts the stock price so you can sell and make some quick money or are you hoping that the moral of this story is a punishment to a fired Disney CEO that is no longer there for being woke? Keep in mind that Iger wasn't running the company when the don't say gay thing happened. And he wasn't running the company when Disney put out some bad movies. And he wasn't running the company when Disney+ was started. And he wasn't running the company when the dividend was suspended. That was all Chopek, and he's been gone a while now.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Imagine being the Governor of Florida and going to war against a company that pumps $40 BILLION dollars a year into the Florida economy and supports a quarter of a million Florida jobs.... because they said something he didn't like.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:30 pm Imagine being the Governor of Florida and going to war against a company that pumps $40 BILLION dollars a year into the Florida economy and supports a quarter of a million Florida jobs.... because they said something he didn't like.

this is the world we live in now. people are willing to burn their own house down to make a point to a neighbor.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady

Post by QillerDaemon »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:30 pm Imagine being the Governor of Florida and going to war against a company that pumps $40 BILLION dollars a year into the Florida economy and supports a quarter of a million Florida jobs.... because they said something he didn't like.

It wasn't even that WDW Corp said something he didn't like. Disney didn't say anything they haven't said before over the years. What they said has been said before in a number of ways by them. After all, they were the first theme park in the area that supported GayDays which they have for over 20 years, and relatively little has brewed up about that other than a few crazies flapping gums. This whole business happened simply because Disney has stopped all the freebies they used to give out to local and state governments. To members of both parties, with much greater distributions and gifts to the Republicans. If they hadn't stopped, all this great nonsense wouldn't have happened. Ronnie-boy is an vindictive little skid mark who wants things done *his* way, fuck the law and common sense and cost. So he got his way for now. Once he's out of office, things may actually go back to normal. Disney can wait, people are still coming in droves (and clogging the highways for us residents :x ) and spending their money, and all the drama will be a poor footnote in the history of Florida.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Animal wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:53 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:59 am

you are getting a bunch of one-sided news. I get that you are mad that disney did some woke stuff. but this takeover attempt is lame. and anyone that thinks his reasoning is sound is only interested in the demise of Disney and certainly not in the future of the company. This whole thing is simply an investor looking to capitalize on a stock play and then sellinga story to a bunch of people as some War against Woke. These guys don't gamble these sums of money on moral points or statements. Peltz is in this to force Isner to get the stock value up (to avoid a takeover) so Peltz can sell and make some money in the meantime. That's the only goal here.

the only real hammer that Pelz has is when Perrimer (sp?) signed his voting rights over to him. Without those shares, he would just be a much smaller yapping dog.

Ask yourself, as an investor are you simply hoping that Pelz's game lifts the stock price so you can sell and make some quick money or are you hoping that the moral of this story is a punishment to a fired Disney CEO that is no longer there for being woke? Keep in mind that Iger wasn't running the company when the don't say gay thing happened. And he wasn't running the company when Disney put out some bad movies. And he wasn't running the company when Disney+ was started. And he wasn't running the company when the dividend was suspended. That was all Chopek, and he's been gone a while now.
Barrons and Bloomberg are not one sided. There are others those are simply the ones I chose.
My cost basis for the stock is about $88 via 2 separate buys so I am making money regardless. Do I hope that Peltz and his allies can also reel in the activism? Sure. It looks they have already accomplished that to an extent as Iger himself has said as much. This is in direct response to activist, fan and market pressure as much as anything else.
It sounds like you are trying to excuse Iger in all of Disneys troubles. That simply cant be done. He is the one that set in motion much of this stuff with him on video in a conference call saying he was OK with upping the activism in Disney projects which include a string of failures and underperforming movies that fans didnt embrace ...often because of that in-your-face activism. Now, it seems like he is changing his tune a bit. :lol:
Chapek was CEO for less than 2 years. Movies and TV shows dont happen overnight. Many of the blockbuster movie and show failures over the past several years were greenlit by Iger BEFORE Chapek became CEO. Iger shoulders most of that failure burden because he gave the OK before Chapek was CEO. That doesnt excuse Chapek one bit as he is the one that pushed the company into the public political battle which Disney lost. You could say he could have done some stuff to minimize the trouble, and youd be accurate, but generally speaking half a billion dollar movies are not stopped mid production or shelved.
Peltz, Perlmutter and their allies may or may not succeed in the takeover but at the very least they have forced Disney to admit and address their activism while simultaneously forcing/influencing Iger's hand in an appropriate fiscal direction contributing to a nice upswing in the stock price.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

well as a new stockholder you seem to know all there is to know about Disney. The topics you hit on sound a great deal like the spin that Peltz and his Trian group are putting on this whole thing. I just voted exactly like the Disney grandchildren asked me to vote.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Animal wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:55 pm well as a new stockholder you seem to know all there is to know about Disney. The topics you hit on sound a great deal like the spin that Peltz and his Trian group are putting on this whole thing. I just voted exactly like the Disney grandchildren asked me to vote.

Well, I dont know everything but I have followed this quite closely and the one Disney grandchild is a bleeding heart diehard Lib so its no shocker that she would support Iger and the failed Disney direction.
Disney's previous stock plunge isnt exactly a secret (its one of the reasons I looked into it at all) and its not a coincidence that the rebound(s) happen to neatly fall in line timing wise with Peltz and his groups workings and threats. If youre a shareholder yourself you should be happy that Peltz has forced Iger's hand into at least some fiscal responsibility and truth telling. The stock now hopefully is making you money.
I want a company I own stock in to be focused on profit and quality; not forced diversity that results in poor performing intellectual property.