Socrates on Democracy

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Socrates on Democracy

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Its short enough. Just watch it. Theres some stuff in there for Lefties and Righties.

[media] [/media]
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Re: Socrates on Democracy

Post by AnalHamster »

You should check out the socratic method, aka 'my schtick'.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Biker wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:41 pm
AnalHamster wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:36 pm You should check out the socratic method, aka 'my schtick'.
Douchebaggery isnt the Socratic method, numbnuts
You can't really follow what I said since you don't know what the socratic method is and lack the intellect to find out. Run along.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

I'm waiting for the video of Democrates on Soccer.
wut?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Biker wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:29 pm 1000%

Its why I have no problem with a civics test in order to qualify to vote.
Yeah, most Democrats want to kick people out of the political process
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

The Republicans keep getting busted trying to disenfranchise black voters in the supposedly universal suffrage system because they're more likely to vote Dem. Any kind of test or barrier would be abused.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Biker wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:38 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:20 pm

You didnt watch the video, did you?
No, I'm watching something else right now
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Biker wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:41 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 pm

Didnt think so, otherwise you would understand its not about kicking people out of the process

Carry on
When I watch it I will respond to this comment
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Biker wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 pm
AnalHamster wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:35 pm The Republicans keep getting busted trying to disenfranchise black voters in the supposedly universal suffrage system because they're more likely to vote Dem. Any kind of test or barrier would be abused.
One person brought up race in this thread and its the libcuck from across the pond. Imagine that
You don't think it's relevant to your proposal to disenfranchise people with a test that the gop have recently been caught trying to disenfranchise likely dem voters in the form of black people? Is it relevant that poll tests have historically and openly been used to do exactly that in the past?

If you answer either question I will be very surprised.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Didnt think so, otherwise you would understand its not about kicking people out of the process

Carry on
That's exactly what it is about. Did you watch it?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

AnalHamster wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:49 pm

Carry on
That's exactly what it is about. Did you watch it?
Bicker wants to ban stupid people from voting, I want to ban stupid people from being POTUS
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Being a voter should take more than just being alive for a few years.

Passing the test to become a citizen should be the minimum needed to be able to vote.

I'd probably have to study a bunch to pass it myself.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

I wonder if Trump could pass that test in 2014?
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

I've said it for years and apparently Socrates agrees with me: More uneducated, ill informed people voting is not a good thing.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 am I've said it for years and apparently Socrates agrees with me: More uneducated, ill informed people voting is not a good thing.
Who gets to decide who is uneducated and ill informed?
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

CaptQuint wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:56 am
CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 am I've said it for years and apparently Socrates agrees with me: More uneducated, ill informed people voting is not a good thing.
I would say each state should have some sort of minimum requirement, aside from age, to cast a vote. Maybe at the very least a proven proficiency in middle school academics but ideally a high school education or better. It would have to be something hammered out and would undoubtedly be controversial no matter what as most folks are used to age simple being the sole metric. What what you suggest?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:04 am
I would say each state should have some sort of minimum requirement, aside from age, to cast a vote. Maybe at the very least a proven proficiency in middle school academics but ideally a high school education or better. It would have to be something hammered out and would undoubtedly be controversial no matter what as most folks are used to age simple being the sole metric. What what you suggest?
I'd say leave the process open to all citizens who have reached the age of majority.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

CaptQuint wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:18 am
I'd say leave the process open to all citizens who have reached the age of majority.
Thats exactly what Socrates is arguing against.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:38 am
I don't give a fuck about Socrates
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

CaptQuint wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:40 am
Yeah, hes just some random dude who happens to be regarded as one of the greatest thinkers in history and a giant figure in the entirety of western civilization. Fuck him.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:15 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:56 am Who gets to decide who is uneducated and ill informed?
Yeah, hes just some random dude who happens to be regarded as one of the greatest thinkers in history and a giant figure in the entirety of western civilization. Fuck him.
That's great, I know more about 21st century America than Socrates. He was a brilliant dude but limiting the amount of people that can choose their leaders is unamerican and a test leaves open the possibility for either side to game the system in their favor and the GOP has a clear and undeniable lead in disenfranchising voters to more easily consolidate power. The voters should choose their leaders, the leaders should not choose their voters.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

This stuff about limiting the franchise to protect democracy doesn't actually come from socrates, the author is just making an argument from authority using his name. As presented in plato's republic (where he says what plato wanted him to say in his own argument from authority) Socrates is actually arguing for a commune ruled over by philosopher kings, presumably Plato and his chums. Not a democracy with a more limited franchise.

Anyway, it's a bad plan. You can't trust the gerrymandering assclowns with the current system, they're constantly trying to game it. Give them the power to disenfranchise people who won't vote for them and that's exactly what they'll do, it's just a faster route to tyranny. And what do the disenfranchised make of all this? Generally best to avoid setting up a disenfranchised underclass with no right to a say in how they are governed, tends to promote revolution.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:15 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:56 am Who gets to decide who is uneducated and ill informed?
"Stupid Socrates"

I.E. The clueless idiotic name that the Moron Chump would probably give him
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Hey, how about this suggestion?

Make a major effort to fix our failing schools so that the voters are more competent to make their own voting decisions.

And rethink this push on apparently only teaching and testing on the 3R's.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Biker wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:55 pm
AnalHamster wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:45 pm
Biker wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 pm
AnalHamster wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:35 pm The Republicans keep getting busted trying to disenfranchise black voters in the supposedly universal suffrage system because they're more likely to vote Dem. Any kind of test or barrier would be abused.
One person brought up race in this thread and its the libcuck from across the pond. Imagine that
You don't think it's relevant to your proposal to disenfranchise people with a test that the gop have recently been caught trying to disenfranchise likely dem voters in the form of black people? Is it relevant that poll tests have historically and openly been used to do exactly that in the past?

If you answer either question I will be very surprised.
A poll test will exclude dumbfucks of all races, not just blacks. Do you believe more blacks will fail because they are genetically inferior in terms of mental aptitude?
No, I believe more blacks will fail because they tend to be from a lower socioeconomic group which is correlated with a range of things including poorer schools and lower education levels.

The answers to the questions you can't answer there are 'yes it is relevant that the GOP are still trying to disenfranchise black people by any means they can today - I'm proposing giving them a new method to do that', and 'yes, the historical examples demonstrate that the thing I am proposing is abused to disenfrachise minorities.' See how much faster these things would go if you didn't pretend you can't see the questions that destroy your positions?