So, can I ask a serious question about 1st World problems

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Re: So, can I ask a serious question about 1st World problems

Post by beagleboy »

JCW wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm

One part that makes gratitude hard to achieve sometimes is perspective and lack of insight. If you don't know how bad things can be, you dont ever truly appreciate that they're not that way for you. Just my observation as I age and struggle with instilling gratitude in my child's cushy life.
Good luck. That's the sort of thing that can really make a difference in a person's life IMO.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:24 pm So, you live in the US/Canada. At the apex of human civilization. Unlimited job opportunities, tech out the ass, multiple vehicles, TV's in every room, Clean water, Travel anywhere you desire, raise your kids decently, hell the list is almost endless. So, here's my question. Why does it seem everybody is always angry, frustrated, depressed, making life harder than it needs to be? Like getting to the apex causes more problems. Please discuss.
there have always been problems and always been people complaining. then someone solves the complaints and gets rich. new complaints, new problems. another invention, another rich person.

pan for gold for years. then someone designs a sleuce box (sp?) one person can now pan the equivalent of 60 men. outdoor shitter. then someone designs indoor plumbing. plowing a field with a mule. here comes the tractor. the list is endless.

the difference is that the further back you go the less the things to complain about because there wasn't that much to work with. now that we have tons of shit to pick from there's tons of things to complain about. A good example would be to look under the hood of a car made in 1960 and under the hood of a car made now. Then you tell me if there are more or less things to complain about.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

beagleboy wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:49 pm
JCW wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:29 pm

A big key to this is gratitude, I think.
There are different types of happiness. Eudaimonic happiness is what you are talking about and the feeling of being blessed. A lot of people pursue hedonistic happiness but it only works for very short periods.

There are free online classes through major universities that go into this sort of thing. Some of the happiest people on earth who also live the longest are nuns and monks. Hedonistic happiness is easier to attain but basically impossible to sustain.
One part that makes gratitude hard to achieve sometimes is perspective and lack of insight. If you don't know how bad things can be, you dont ever truly appreciate that they're not that way for you. Just my observation as I age and struggle with instilling gratitude in my child's cushy life.
I think this is a really good observation. It's been so long (other than the 2008 economic meltdown that didn't effect everybody the same way) since anything really bad happened that when things improved, nobody thought to complain about simple things in their daily life. Great Depression in the 1930's and WWII comes to mind.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Flumper wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:50 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:24 pm So, you live in the US/Canada. At the apex of human civilization. Unlimited job opportunities, tech out the ass, multiple vehicles, TV's in every room, Clean water, Travel anywhere you desire, raise your kids decently, hell the list is almost endless. So, here's my question. Why does it seem everybody is always angry, frustrated, depressed, making life harder than it needs to be? Like getting to the apex causes more problems. Please discuss.
there have always been problems and always been people complaining. then someone solves the complaints and gets rich. new complaints, new problems. another invention, another rich person.

pan for gold for years. then someone designs a sleuce box (sp?) one person can now pan the equivalent of 60 men. outdoor shitter. then someone designs indoor plumbing. plowing a field with a mule. here comes the tractor. the list is endless.

the difference is that the further back you go the less the things to complain about because there wasn't that much to work with. now that we have tons of shit to pick from there's tons of things to complain about. A good example would be to look under the hood of a car made in 1960 and under the hood of a car made now. Then you tell me if there are more or less things to complain about.
I think your car analogy is perfect. I tell some of the younger generations a couple of stories about the differences and they look at me sideways like wtf? Machine tooling and engineering, among others today is vastly improved. I remember back in the 70's (and maybe into the 80's), when you bought a brand new vehicle, you were instructed not to exceed a certain speed limit (50 MPH?) for like the first 5,000 miles so the rings, pistons, etc could "set". I remember as a kid in the family station wagon Dad making a big show as we all watched the odometer roll past 100,000 miles. Must have been a rare treat because he backed up a quarter mile so we could see it again.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

I have a friend in the gold mining business, and he always says no matter how big your plant is and how much material you can work through, the end result is always done with the pan.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

beagleboy wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:49 pm
JCW wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:29 pm

A big key to this is gratitude, I think.
There are different types of happiness. Eudaimonic happiness is what you are talking about and the feeling of being blessed. A lot of people pursue hedonistic happiness but it only works for very short periods.

There are free online classes through major universities that go into this sort of thing. Some of the happiest people on earth who also live the longest are nuns and monks. Hedonistic happiness is easier to attain but basically impossible to sustain.
Good for you. The understanding of working for something and getting it, or maybe not getting it, is lost on so many people.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by JCW »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:25 pm Good for you. The understanding of working for something and getting it, or maybe not getting it, is lost on so many people.
I mean, hes only 10 but for example, he wanted the new Mario Maker 2 game for the Switch. He worked his ass off doing crappy chores without a single complaint to earn it. More than the actual work, his can-do attitude about tackling that days list solidified my decision to get it for him. If I ever felt like he was taking things for granted though, they'd be gone in a heartbeat.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

JCW wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:25 pm Good for you. The understanding of working for something and getting it, or maybe not getting it, is lost on so many people.
I mean, hes only 10 but for example, he wanted the new Mario Maker 2 game for the Switch. He worked his ass off doing crappy chores without a single complaint to earn it. More than the actual work, his can-do attitude about tackling that days list solidified my decision to get it for him. If I ever felt like he was taking things for granted though, they'd be gone in a heartbeat.
What do I get if I wax your car and clean the interior?
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
JCW

Post by JCW »

CaptQuint wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 pm What do I get if I wax your car and clean the interior?
To smell my ass scent on the seat while you do it?

(Cleaning and vacuuming the car was one of the jobs he did for that game. He also stacked firewood, cleaned out kitchen drawers and fridge and a bunch of other stuff)
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

JCW wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:50 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 pm What do I get if I wax your car and clean the interior?

(Cleaning and vacuuming the car was one of the jobs he did for that game. He also stacked firewood, cleaned out kitchen drawers and fridge and a bunch of other stuff)
No deal
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
JCW

Post by JCW »

CaptQuint wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:51 pm

No deal
Your loss. I had Mexican last night.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

I want to post one more personal opinion/ observation on this subject and then I'll disappear for 24 hours and let others comment based on their experience. Most Social experts see the unraveling of USA culture (drug use, feminism, family units breaking down, etc) on late 60's anti-war movements, liberalism amuck. endless. I contend you can date to one day our present fractured, divisive, hate filled poison that passes for civility these days. November 9th, 1989. The day the Berlin Wall fell and Communism soon after. After almost 60 years of national unity getting through the Great Depression, WWII (400,000 dead) and the almost 50 year Cold War, we won. 1990's economic boom (outperformed the World combined) followed. Other than the 9/11 attacks to unify the country, that lasted for all of 2 years until the Bush idiots decided to invade Iraq. we are a country awash in the seas. I would go a step forward and say we are a Country "Bored" to tears. Any comments?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

HOT!
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:38 pm Oh goody goody! Here comes another history lesson from our resident Wikipedia history professor.
WestTexasCrude wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:15 pm I want to post one more personal opinion/ observation on this subject and then I'll disappear for 24 hours and let others comment based on their experience. Most Social experts see the unraveling of USA culture (drug use, feminism, family units breaking down, etc) on late 60's anti-war movements, liberalism amuck. endless. I contend you can date to one day our present fractured, divisive, hate filled poison that passes for civility these days. November 9th, 1989. The day the Berlin Wall fell and Communism soon after. After almost 60 years of national unity getting through the Great Depression, WWII (400,000 dead) and the almost 50 year Cold War, we won. 1990's economic boom (outperformed the World combined) followed. Other than the 9/11 attacks to unify the country, that lasted for all of 2 years until the Bush idiots decided to invade Iraq. we are a country awash in the seas. I would go a step forward and say we are a Country "Bored" to tears. Any comments?
CALLED IT !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

JCW

Post by JCW »

Heres another question relating to this...

If you KNOW you've got it good, but still find yourself depressed, how do you bust out of that funk? What things help ground you and bring you joy?
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:15 pm I want to post one more personal opinion/ observation on this subject and then I'll disappear for 24 hours and let others comment based on their experience. Most Social experts see the unraveling of USA culture (drug use, feminism, family units breaking down, etc) on late 60's anti-war movements, liberalism amuck. endless. I contend you can date to one day our present fractured, divisive, hate filled poison that passes for civility these days. November 9th, 1989. The day the Berlin Wall fell and Communism soon after. After almost 60 years of national unity getting through the Great Depression, WWII (400,000 dead) and the almost 50 year Cold War, we won. 1990's economic boom (outperformed the World combined) followed. Other than the 9/11 attacks to unify the country, that lasted for all of 2 years until the Bush idiots decided to invade Iraq. we are a country awash in the seas. I would go a step forward and say we are a Country "Bored" to tears. Any comments?
Yes, blaming feminism is misguided.
wut?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Wut wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:51 pm
Yes, blaming feminism is misguided.
Haven't you noticed? WTC hates women. Big time.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

http://findrecovery.com/aa_meetings/tx/iraan/
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

:lol:
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

He must have run out of beer. Happens when you only buy 6-packs.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:47 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:38 pm Oh goody goody! Here comes another history lesson from our resident Wikipedia history professor.
He gives a decent opinion and you guys can't admit it?
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Blast wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:56 am
Are you forgetting the massive amount of bullshit and retarded lies he constantly posts?
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Blast wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:56 am
Do you honestly believe that was HIS opinion?