What are your thoughts on single cell organisms

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: What are your thoughts on single cell organisms

Post by Animal »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:55 pm
Flumper wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:41 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:35 pm Actually I believe the rise of celled organisms in the environment is what caused the huge rise in oxygen (and not the other way around). Would seem obvious that once the multi-celled organism's started "becoming" life forms, they were first and foremost plants (producing oxygen). Evolutionary wise, plants must have come first.
yes. it was the boom of the plant life that led to the animals (insects, fish, birds, etc.). Because of the sudden explosion of oxygen that they (plants) produced.
I can see how single celled orgs could evolve in multi-cells and after billions of years become life forms like plants and later animals. But it still begs the question of how single cells came to be on this planet. They didn't just appear out of nowhere. The early Earth was bombarded for a billion years + with left over debris from the newly formed solar system. Seems like I read that the obvious answer is that among the debris hitting the Earth was an asteroid/ comet from somewhere else in the Galaxy that against all odds had "life forms" able to survive in them through the void of space. That's almost unbelievable.
no, it didn't start from some et life on a comet. it started with amino acids. and the amino acids were formed from a rich organic environment and some kind of spark (lightning). once they were produced, then they quickly took over because they had an ability to adapt that was unavailable to anything else that existed at the time. they basically had the ability to morph.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:06 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:55 pm I can see how single celled orgs could evolve in multi-cells and after billions of years become life forms like plants and later animals. But it still begs the question of how single cells came to be on this planet. They didn't just appear out of nowhere. The early Earth was bombarded for a billion years + with left over debris from the newly formed solar system. Seems like I read that the obvious answer is that among the debris hitting the Earth was an asteroid/ comet from somewhere else in the Galaxy that against all odds had "life forms" able to survive in them through the void of space. That's almost unbelievable.
You see... this is what happens when you sleep through high school. :lol:
We should send him some sea monkeys, blow his mind

Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Flumper wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:10 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:55 pm
Flumper wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:41 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:35 pm Actually I believe the rise of celled organisms in the environment is what caused the huge rise in oxygen (and not the other way around). Would seem obvious that once the multi-celled organism's started "becoming" life forms, they were first and foremost plants (producing oxygen). Evolutionary wise, plants must have come first.
yes. it was the boom of the plant life that led to the animals (insects, fish, birds, etc.). Because of the sudden explosion of oxygen that they (plants) produced.
I can see how single celled orgs could evolve in multi-cells and after billions of years become life forms like plants and later animals. But it still begs the question of how single cells came to be on this planet. They didn't just appear out of nowhere. The early Earth was bombarded for a billion years + with left over debris from the newly formed solar system. Seems like I read that the obvious answer is that among the debris hitting the Earth was an asteroid/ comet from somewhere else in the Galaxy that against all odds had "life forms" able to survive in them through the void of space. That's almost unbelievable.
no, it didn't start from some et life on a comet. it started with amino acids. and the amino acids were formed from a rich organic environment and some kind of spark (lightning). once they were produced, then they quickly took over because they had an ability to adapt that was unavailable to anything else that existed at the time. they basically had the ability to morph.
Thanks. I see on Google that amino acids were products of the early formation of the Solar System. Since the ultimate bi-product was water covering 70% of the planet, it's amazing that it happened not once but twice in our Solar System. Mars also has obvious signs of water. Both in the "goldilocks" region of the Sun, but Mars reached a dead end because it was too far out.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

I find it kind of remarkable that one of the 20 or so Amino acids known could produce (under the right circumstances) a whole planet of Carbon based life. And yet, under different circumstances somewhere else in the Universe, a different acid could produce a whole planet based on an Ammonia ocean planet. The limits of different based life forms seems infinite.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:44 pm I find it kind of remarkable that one of the 20 or so Amino acids known could produce (under the right circumstances) a whole planet of Carbon based life. And yet, under different circumstances somewhere else in the Universe, a different acid could produce a whole planet based on an Ammonia ocean planet. The limits of different based life forms seems infinite.
I find it kind of remarkable that you didn't already know any of this prior to starting this thread.

What online high school did you get your GED from?
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Watching two weeks worth of National Geographic would answer every question he's ever posted about land, sea and space
I blame Biker.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Stapes wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:11 am Watching two weeks worth of National Geographic would answer every question he's ever posted about land, sea and space
What streaming service is that available on? :lol:
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:21 am
Stapes wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:11 am Watching two weeks worth of National Geographic would answer every question he's ever posted about land, sea and space
What streaming service is that available on? :lol:
Fox app, I think.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

15 minutes on Google would have the same effect.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
allwhitemeat
Forum Irregular

Post by allwhitemeat »

Flumper wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:43 pm i thought it was really interesting watching some scientist type show not long ago. The guy took some kind of soup. I can't remember what all he put into this big pot, but it was basically what might have been in water holes back before life on earth. He basically got it to a certain point of stuff in the pot and then hit it with some electricity (mimic a lightning strike, I think). And then the amoeba (i guess) start to grow. Out of nothing but what was in there. Life was just created. Anyway, they showed how fucking fast they multiply. and then start to connect to each other.

It really made what was seemingly an impossible feat look pretty damn easy.
life was never created and you didn't understand a thing you watched on that program. we have not created life from nothing. its still a mystery. they created some basic amino acid chains. that's it. its not life and a far step from proving life was started from the primordial soup.

but it was on tv and you believed it even though you had no clue what you were watching. you're basically WTC without going full retard.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes"
necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Post by necronomous »

allwhitemeat wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:19 pm
Flumper wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:43 pm i thought it was really interesting watching some scientist type show not long ago. The guy took some kind of soup. I can't remember what all he put into this big pot, but it was basically what might have been in water holes back before life on earth. He basically got it to a certain point of stuff in the pot and then hit it with some electricity (mimic a lightning strike, I think). And then the amoeba (i guess) start to grow. Out of nothing but what was in there. Life was just created. Anyway, they showed how fucking fast they multiply. and then start to connect to each other.

It really made what was seemingly an impossible feat look pretty damn easy.
life was never created and you didn't understand a thing you watched on that program. we have not created life from nothing. its still a mystery. they created some basic amino acid chains. that's it. its not life and a far step from proving life was started from the primordial soup.

but it was on tv and you believed it even though you had no clue what you were watching. you're basically WTC without going full retard.
The beginnings of life is what they were trying to say. I think the idea is, to create the strands that create life so easily seems unusual. Of course there is a lot more to it, but it is fascinating.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

allwhitemeat wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:19 pm life was never created and you didn't understand a thing you watched on that program. we have not created life from nothing. its still a mystery. they created some basic amino acid chains. that's it. its not life and a far step from proving life was started from the primordial soup.

there is nothing better than being taught the truth by someone that discusses a mystery and knows what it was or wasn't.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Serious question... do they not teach this stuff in American schools? I remember learning this stuff in the first year of High School. My oldest grandkid is already learning this stuff and she's not even in High School yet.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:21 pm Serious question... do they not teach this stuff in American schools? I remember learning this stuff in the first year of High School. My oldest grandkid is already learning this stuff and she's not even in High School yet.
Yes, it is taught.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:21 pm Serious question... do they not teach this stuff in American schools? I remember learning this stuff in the first year of High School. My oldest grandkid is already learning this stuff and she's not even in High School yet.
there is no way that I could speak to "american" schools in general. I really don't remember learning any hypothesis about how the original life was thought to form. I'm not saying that it wasn't covered in high school biology class. But when you go to a small school, sometimes your science teachers are also one of the football coaches.

I do remember learning about single celled amoebas, which is probably one of the only times in my life that i have heard the word amoeba. But I do remember that the girl that sat next to me in biology class never wore a bra, if that helps.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Flumper wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:46 pm But I do remember that the girl that sat next to me in biology class never wore a bra, if that helps.
Ah... English class... Tracy McVitty. Thanks for bringing that memory back. 👍
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:54 pm
Flumper wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:46 pm But I do remember that the girl that sat next to me in biology class never wore a bra, if that helps.
McVitty's titties?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

B-Tender wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:58 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:54 pm
McVitty's titties?
Dude! That's what we used to call them! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man-o-man, she had stellar puppies. Never wore a bra and had a thing for fuzzy sweaters.