College kids are smoking more weed in legal states — but binge drinking less

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

College kids are smoking more weed in legal states — but binge drinking less

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

How does that work for you? I've heard for years that smoking weed is less harmful for you than drinking, and that certainly violent offenses happen more often from people under the influence of alcohol as opposed to marijuana. Just ask our resident expert here AllWhiteMeat...

https://nypost.com/2020/01/14/college-k ... king-less/
Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: College kids are smoking more weed in legal states — but binge drinking less

Post by Animal »

how can we make the laziest work force ever created even worse? oh, how about we let them start smoking weed.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Re: College kids are smoking more weed in legal states — but binge drinking less

Post by B-Tender »

People getting high doesn't have nearly the same detrimental effect on those around them as people who get drunk. For the record I am a drinker and not a smoker.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Flumper wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:10 pm how can we make the laziest work force ever created even worse? oh, how about we let them start smoking weed.
:lol:
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

B-Tender wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:17 pm People getting high doesn't have nearly the same detrimental effect on those around them as people who get drunk. For the record I am a drinker and not a smoker.
Agreed, but I think most people who advocate legal weed miss one point that I think is crucial to the future. It's actually only critical in the pre-teen and teen years. BTW- back in High school. i drank but also smoked weed, so some experience. Sure, alcohol has a major detrimental effect, but it never killed your desire to succeed. Like a daily diversion. Weed on the other hand, at least for me was a killer for any desire to succeed on a daily, weekly monthly level. I think that's what Flumper is mentioning. Gave it up until I got older. Both drugs, both totally different in at least growing up humans. I hope that made sense.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

WestTexasCrude wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:41 pm
B-Tender wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:17 pm People getting high doesn't have nearly the same detrimental effect on those around them as people who get drunk. For the record I am a drinker and not a smoker.
Agreed, but I think most people who advocate legal weed miss one point that I think is crucial to the future. It's actually only critical in the pre-teen and teen years. BTW- back in High school. i drank but also smoked weed, so some experience. Sure, alcohol has a major detrimental effect, but it never killed your desire to succeed. Like a daily diversion. Weed on the other hand, at least for me was a killer for any desire to succeed on a daily, weekly monthly level. I think that's what Flumper is mentioning. Gave it up until I got older. Both drugs, both totally different in at least growing up humans. I hope that made sense.
I know I clown here but I agree with what you said. Weed makes you lazy. When I was a sophomore in highschool I got a huge crush on this italian girl with an awesome body that happened to be a champion at cross country track. We started dating and hit it off well but she was the first one that turned me on to weed.

Long story short I got the worse grades in my life and got so lazy smoking that weed that I started failing every class 'cause I couldn't be bothered to listen or do any homework.

Fortunately, as soon as we broke up my grades went up after I didn't touch weed for years and I graduated from my College magna cum laude. I still drank on occasion but never touched weed.
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

You think people are lazy because of weed. Americans are lazy in general, me especially. We are a wealthy country, and most of us on this site have it pretty good. So I don't care if a bunch of kids are stoned in their parents basements at the age of 25. What I don't want is them out killing people with a BAC of .2 or beating on their spouses and kids.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

I really dont care about people smoking weed. I do care about them smelling like they just smoked the cheapest skunkiest fucking pot their broke ass could afford and fucking up my air quality.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Who's holding?
I blame Biker.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Who wants to bet that 5 -10 years down the road, legalized pot will turn out to be a bad thing?
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

Antknot wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:28 am Who wants to bet that 5 -10 years down the road, legalized pot will turn out to be a bad thing?
It's an easy argument that legal alcohol is a bad thing.
wut?
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

Antknot wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:28 am Who wants to bet that 5 -10 years down the road, legalized pot will turn out to be a bad thing?
I don't think it's a zero sum game. With the old rules, you had cartels making tons of money, prison industrial complex making tons of money, and palliative care lacked a tool for comfort. It won't be all nymphos and orgies from here on out. Too much of anything is almost certainly detrimental. You'll have to explain how less alcoholism and more stonerism is bad though.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

The takeover by the alien AI overlords should go pretty smoothly. Just step over the stoners in their VR goggles and keep them in pizza and Fortnite.
I blame Biker.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Wut wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 am
Shut your whore mouth!! :lol:
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

megman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:49 am
Shut your whore mouth!! :lol:
Here's the thing. I like quite a few bad things.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

No doubt.

Alcohol was in common use for ages before it became outlawed. Trying to limit alcohol by law didn't work and can be argued to have led to more, better, organized crime.

The war on drugs exacerbated that situation.

Trying to legalize morality doesn't work.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Antknot wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:53 am
No doubt.

Alcohol was in common use for ages before it became outlawed. Trying to limit alcohol by law didn't work and can be argued to have led to more, better, organized crime.

Electricity produces electrons.

Morality produces morons.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

megman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:56 am
No doubt.

Actually electrons have negative electric charges. Electrons moving from atom to atom produce current.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Antknot wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:06 am
megman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:56 am
No doubt.

Actually electrons have negative electric charges. Electrons moving from atom to atom produce current.
You're obviously not smoking enough weed.
allwhitemeat
Forum Irregular

Post by allwhitemeat »

55,000 people die a year from acute alcohol usage (alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, falling while drunk). Another 38,000 die every year from chronic alcohol use (cirrhosis of the liver, kidney failure, etc)

We've had like 15 people die last year from vaping weed, and it wasn't even the weed that killed them, it was the liquid base the weed was bound too (vitamin e acetate)

Yet we got retards walking around going "zomg, legal weed is going to be the downfall of society"

Paranoid boomers are funny.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes"
allwhitemeat
Forum Irregular

Post by allwhitemeat »

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes"
allwhitemeat
Forum Irregular

Post by allwhitemeat »

CDC tracks all kind of statistics related to various substances and drugs and the effect it has on people, death rates, the complex kinds of medical conditions that can be exacerbated by certain drugs and substances. Just swimming in statistics for how many people are dying from Tylenol, from opiates, from alcohol, from tobacco, from suicide and mental illness.

But you get a giant goose egg when looking for real statistics related to how many people are dropping dead from weed or the multitude of people running people off the road from being stoned (like we track and record for drunk drivers).

Some people say the absence of data is from a lack of recording the many cases that everyone just "knows" is happening. In mass quantities. But ignored when it comes to being able to track and record these multitude of instances.

Other people would say the lack of data of how many people are dropping dead from weed would indicate that PEOPLE ARENT DROPPING DEAD FROM WEED.

Crazy concept I know.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Let drug users die. Who cares? It's their choice. Darwin is always batting.

That being said weed is real bad for teens. It was bad for me in the 70's at ditchweed THC levels. With 25% being common now their pubescent brains don't stand a chance. I'd say education is key but the folks in charge of that couldn't do worse.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Charliesheen wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:50 pm Let drug users die. Who cares? It's their choice. Darwin is always batting.

That being said weed is real bad for teens. It was bad for me in the 70's at ditchweed THC levels. With 25% being common now their pubescent brains don't stand a chance. I'd say education is key but the folks in charge of that couldn't do worse.
But don't you have to be 21 to buy legal weed? The teens, if anything are still getting it from the black market.

A few other points though. From what I know they haven't come up with a way yet to determine how stoned someone is yet, which is why there are less people charged with a DWI from smoking weed. It's different with alcohol where it can easily be determined from a blood test or breathalyzer.

Through my experience what fucks me up the most and makes me in the worst shape to drive has been when I smoked marijuana in combination with drinking alcohol. That's what would give me the spins and really knock me out. Fortunately, I got so fucked up I didn't even attempt to drive at that point. Ironically, cocaine would help sober me up when I drank/smoked and made me clear. Meanwhile cocaine is the one that is outlawed still with heavy sentencing.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Weed has been legal in Canada since Oct 17. It is still illegal to drive while high so they are using a saliva test.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4413348/new- ... to-canada/