rock and roll hall of fame

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

jsdspif
Tells *VERY* interesting (but true) stories.

rock and roll hall of fame

Post by jsdspif »

That thing really is a steaming pile of shit. I think it's for the extremely casual music fan who really wasn't much into music at any point in their lives. My sisters went to it once and they're pretty good examples of the people that think the place is so great. They never really kept track of any bands/performers over the years. Basically had some records and listen to the radio. And the "hall" inducts bands/performers that aren't anything to do with rock and roll. Notorious B.I.G. and Whitney Houston??? Yeah there's some rock and roll stars there.
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Re: rock and roll hall of fame

Post by HighNDry »

A36CC7C3-6340-44A1-8932-4385F5CEC7CD.gif
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
jsdspif
Tells *VERY* interesting (but true) stories.

Post by jsdspif »

I laughed at that. I gues people vote them in? I don't know. Motorhead and Judas Priest didn't get in. I actually think alot of the african americans get in so the place has african americans in it.Like Jimi Hendrix would be rock,Little Richard,Chuck Berry etc but say in the last 40 years or 50 years how many african american "rock stars" has there been? Then throw in Ted Nugent isn't in it,politics aside, he's written guitar licks that rule the frickin world.
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

jsdspif wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:34 pm I laughed at that. I gues people vote them in? I don't know. Motorhead and Judas Priest didn't get in. I actually think alot of the african americans get in so the place has african americans in it.Like Jimi Hendrix would be rock,Little Richard,Chuck Berry etc but say in the last 40 years or 50 years how many african american "rock stars" has there been? Then throw in Ted Nugent isn't in it,politics aside, he's written guitar licks that rule the frickin world.
I agree with you 100%. Rock n Roll HOF is a joke. Just like every other HOF.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

It's a money making enterprise. A business. Nothing more, nothing less. Once you look at it like that and throw away all idea of integrity or purity of the selections and/or members it's much easier to just sit back and laugh at them.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:18 pm It's a money making enterprise. A business. Nothing more, nothing less. Once you look at it like that and throw away all idea of integrity or purity of the selections and/or members it's much easier to just sit back and laugh at them.
yeah, i guess limiting their customers to only rock and roll fans was a bad business model.
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

Flumper wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:34 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:18 pm It's a money making enterprise. A business. Nothing more, nothing less. Once you look at it like that and throw away all idea of integrity or purity of the selections and/or members it's much easier to just sit back and laugh at them.
yeah, i guess limiting their customers to only rock and roll fans was a bad business model.
That's why I agree with whoever said to just change the name to the Music Hall of Fame and open it to all types of music. Would make more sense. Having Madonna and Depeche Mode in the RnR HOF is fucking retarded.
-Mitch Hedberg
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

https://www.spin.com/2019/10/rock-and-r ... undgarden/

Janet Jackson got in.

Still no Styx.

I used to think Nobel Peace prizes were speshul, too.
Last edited by Charliesheen on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

The biggest snub, to me, is Iron Maiden. Seriously, WTF?
Bruce Dickinson flies their fucking jet to the concert and then gets out and performs a full concert. The average age of these guys is 60+ and they still kick ass in concert. But let's make sure the The Moonglows are in.
-Mitch Hedberg
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

HighNDry wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:55 pm The biggest snub, to me, is Iron Maiden. Seriously, WTF?
Bruce Dickinson flies their fucking jet to the concert and then gets out and performs a full concert. The average age of these guys is 60+ and they still kick ass in concert. But let's make sure the The Moonglows are in.
And Iron Maidens ONLY #1 hit in the UK was Bring your daughter to the slaughter. :lol:
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

megman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:02 pm
HighNDry wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:55 pm The biggest snub, to me, is Iron Maiden. Seriously, WTF?
And Iron Maidens ONLY #1 hit in the UK was Bring your daughter to the slaughter. :lol:
That's insane.
-Mitch Hedberg
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

Kanye will probably get in before them.
-Mitch Hedberg
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

HighNDry wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:03 pm
That's insane.
I know!
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

the only song that i could name would be inagadadavida (or whatever the fuck it was).
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Flumper wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:59 pm
the only song that i could name would be inagadadavida (or whatever the fuck it was).
Um, you do realize that was a song by the group "Iron Butterfly"?

Pretty early "acid rock" band.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

FSchmertz wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:02 pm
Flumper wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:59 pm
Um, you do realize that was a song by the group "Iron Butterfly"?

Pretty early "acid rock" band.
ah. i knew it was iron somethingorother
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

jsdspif wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:34 pm I laughed at that. I gues people vote them in? I don't know. Motorhead and Judas Priest didn't get in. I actually think alot of the african americans get in so the place has african americans in it.Like Jimi Hendrix would be rock,Little Richard,Chuck Berry etc but say in the last 40 years or 50 years how many african american "rock stars" has there been? Then throw in Ted Nugent isn't in it,politics aside, he's written guitar licks that rule the frickin world.
Rock and Roll is based on African music, which turned into Blues and then Rhythm & Blues. You could make an argument that not enough black artists have been put in the Hall, since they're the originators. White folks "stole" it. Just ask Mick Jagger and McCartney who they listened to.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

FSchmertz wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:06 pm
Rock and Roll is based on African music, which turned into Blues and then Rhythm & Blues. You could make an argument that not enough black artists have been put in the Hall, since they're the originators. White folks "stole" it. Just ask Mick Jagger and McCartney who they listened to.
go back and listen to an old allman brother's album and you would think you are listening to a black blues band.
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

Rock and Roll comes from the blues. Most early country western comes from the blues also. Hank Williams Jr has always said his dad was a blues artist more than a country artist. The Blues Museum is in St Louis!! Blues based Rock and Roll like ZZ Top is the core of Rock.
Last edited by beagleboy on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

The original thief of American rhythm and blues was The King, Elvis. If Elvis would have gone nowhere, there probably would not be a Rolling Stones and such.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:24 pm The original thief of American rhythm and blues was The King, Elvis. If Elvis would have gone nowhere, there probably would not be a Rolling Stones and such.
No. If it hadn't been him it would have been someone else. Almost every white artist (from hank williams to jimmy rogers to duane allman) were all getting their inspiration from the black musicians.
crash273
Forum Regular

Post by crash273 »

There was a discussion a few years ago to rename it the Music Hall of Fame but the directors said it would lose brand recognition.

The board and voters try to throw a wide net of different styles of music. It's sometime perspective and sometimes head scratching as to whom gets a nod and who doesn't. I have to say that Pat Benatar not getting in is very puzzling since #1. she is female rock in the 80's and #2. tremendously successful. Many other female acts had their way paved by Benatar.

I have been to the Hall and it's ok. I would not say great or amazing but a fun stroll down music lane. I live in Detroit area and we have Hitsville USA (aka Motown Records) and it's about the same type of place (much smaller).
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

I used to go listen to this guy a few times a year. He was a guitarist for Rod Stewart for years and Chuck Berry
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Sure, nobody can dispute that. Then put THOSE folks in (if they aren't already). The actual people who shaped and laid the groundwork for rock and roll certainly deserve entry. Rap artists from 25 years ago are not equal to Chuck Berry or Robert Johnson etc. in terms of shaping rock and roll.
I agree, Call it the "Music Hall of Fame" if you want to include everyone.
IMHO it's not worth arguing over though. It is what it is and they want to broaden their appeal with more entries. I just won't be going any time soon.

Also: Get off my lawn!
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Flumper wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:31 pm
hawkfan8812 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:24 pm The original thief of American rhythm and blues was The King, Elvis. If Elvis would have gone nowhere, there probably would not be a Rolling Stones and such.
No. If it hadn't been him it would have been someone else. Almost every white artist (from hank williams to jimmy rogers to duane allman) were all getting their inspiration from the black musicians.
Fair enough.