rock and roll hall of fame

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Re: rock and roll hall of fame

Post by VinceBordenIII »

these people all lived together and influenced each other. The blues takes from old timee Scottish music, as well.
beagleboy
Biker's Biatch

Post by beagleboy »

Elvis, Chuck Berry, Ike Turner, Fats Domino were all in the same time period. Elvis gets most credit because he was the first WHITE Rock and Roller to be successful.
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

beagleboy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:03 pm Elvis, Chuck Berry, Ike Turner, Fats Domino were all in the same time period. Elvis gets most credit because he was the first WHITE Rock and Roller to be successful.
Maybe we need a Race n Roll HOF?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by JCW »

Flumper wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:31 pm
hawkfan8812 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:24 pm The original thief of American rhythm and blues was The King, Elvis. If Elvis would have gone nowhere, there probably would not be a Rolling Stones and such.
No. If it hadn't been him it would have been someone else. Almost every white artist (from hank williams to jimmy rogers to duane allman) were all getting their inspiration from the black musicians.
Or if you're Led Zeppelin you just straight up steal your music from them!
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Just for a quick comparison...Here is Travelin Riverside Blues by Robert Johnson. After is the "same" song so many think Led Zeppelin "stole".

[media] [/media]

[media] [/media]

Personally, I think the "original" is basically unlistenable.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

The Lemon Song is a clear rip off.
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

Next, you're all going to tell me that Vanilla ice stole the riff from Under Pressure...
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

HighNDry wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:40 pm Next, you're all going to tell me that Vanilla ice stole the riff from Under Pressure...
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
kwebber
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by kwebber »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:24 pm The original thief of American rhythm and blues was The King, Elvis. If Elvis would have gone nowhere, there probably would not be a Rolling Stones and such.
Not that I care anything aboot Elvis Pressley, but why call him a thief? He heard some music he enjoyed, and wanted to perform music like that. Is that stealing?
Currently AFK.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

ZZ Top was being sued by John Lee Hookers estate. Hooker's "Boogie chillin'" and ZZ Top's La Grange are way too similar.
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

kwebber wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 pm
Not that I care anything aboot Elvis Pressley, but why call him a thief? He heard some music he enjoyed, and wanted to perform music like that. Is that stealing?
Yeah, thief was the wrong word.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i saw an interesting documentary on the roots of country and western music. one thing they touched on was the "stealing" of music back then. They did it without even thinking about it. I mean, it wasn't even considered wrong or bad. It was more like a compliment. If they heard a song and liked it they would either play it like it was or adapt it and even list themselves as the writers. they didn't even have a concept of "owning" a song.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

My thoughts are that there are only so many musical notes, beats and chords out there. In other words the possibilities are finite, so it comes down more to the way you present it that will determine your success.
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

FreakShowFanatic wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:50 pm My thoughts are that there are only so many musical notes, beats and chords out there. In other words the possibilities are finite, so it comes down more to the way you present it that will determine your success.
I want to see the math.
-Mitch Hedberg
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

BigRedRetard wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 pm
HighNDry wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:40 pm Next, you're all going to tell me that Vanilla ice stole the riff from Under Pressure...
Vanilla Ice says its not the same!

Ha! What a fucking troll.
-Mitch Hedberg
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:16 pm Just for a quick comparison...Here is Travelin Riverside Blues by Robert Johnson. After is the "same" song so many think Led Zeppelin "stole".

[media] [/media]

[media] [/media]

Personally, I think the "original" is basically unlistenable.
By comparison Ide have to agree. On an unrelated note Neal Pert would fuck up this song. Bonham makes it look so easy.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

I used to think the Hall of Fame was a fucking joke. But then Cheap Trick got in and legitimized it.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

Deathproof wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:46 pm I used to think the Hall of Fame was a fucking joke. But then Cheap Trick got in and legitimized it.
Legitimized it legitimized it, or legitimized it as a joke?
-Mitch Hedberg
JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by JCW »

HighNDry wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:54 pm

I LOLed at the end bit. If I recall he had to pay Queen after all was said and done.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

HighNDry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:48 pm
Deathproof wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:46 pm I used to think the Hall of Fame was a fucking joke. But then Cheap Trick got in and legitimized it.
Legitimized it. It's not a rock hall of fame without the greatest rock band to ever exist. It got even more legit when they added Nirvana. Now they just need the Gin Blossoms and they'll have the three best bands of all time, and it will undeniably be a true rock hall of fame.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

Deathproof wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:45 pm
HighNDry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:48 pm
Legitimized it. It's not a rock hall of fame without the greatest rock band to ever exist. It got even more legit when they added Nirvana. Now they just need the Gin Blossoms and they'll have the three best bands of all time, and it will undeniably be a true rock hall of fame.
I’ll give you Cheap Trick and Nirvana, but saying the RnR HOF isn’t complete without Gin Blossoms is just crazy talk.
-Mitch Hedberg
HighNDry

Post by HighNDry »

JCW wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 pm
HighNDry wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:54 pm

I LOLed at the end bit. If I recall he had to pay Queen after all was said and done.
I believe you’re right. What a dumbass he was (is).
-Mitch Hedberg
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i had to google Cheap Trick to even figure out who they were. I recognized one song in their top 10 and i recognized their lead guitarist (the guy that dressed like a kid out of Our Gang).
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

I have been there, and it sucks. They're all over the place.

One problem, I think, is that R&R has spun off in so many directions, you almost can't follow it anymore. Somewhere online I saw an informative poster about all the different kinds of rock and bands in that genre, and their lineage and offspring.

Here's one. There are better, though:
school-of-rock-blackboard-redrawn.png
Anyway, yeah. This.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK