Can a UJR brother get some cord cutting advice

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Re: Can a UJR brother get some cord cutting advice

Post by Stapes »

FSchmertz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:37 pm
QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:34 pm At the QD shack, we have a Prime account, along with Netflix and Hulu. More than half the time, the Firestick is used to steam NF and Hulu, but we do watch the occasional movie or the Pluto TV thing in Prime that's a bunch of weird channels. I sometimes spend hours at a time watching Dr Who TV on Pluto. :geek:

But we also have DirectTV. For a complete AT&T bundle (TV, phone, cell phones, copper pair, static IP, etc) we were paying $320 a month. Since we really don't watch DTV much at all, I finally convinced the wife to call and re-do our account to rid ourselves of at least DTV. After much bitching and complaining and vague threats over the phone (all things my wife is very skilled at... ;)), a couple of months ago she got the entire AT&T account re-arranged, and now it's about $200 a month. And now we get 300 channels on DTV that we'll never watch over the 200 channels we never watched in the previous contract. It's supposed to stay set for at least two years, and then we'll likely do it all over again. Or finally ditch DTV, who knows...
So were you getting DTV over internet on AT&T cable, or hybrid satellite-receiver/AT&T cable?

He is getting his internet from AT&T. Instead of also bundling his TV with them he went with a separate satellite connection
I blame Biker.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Stapes wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:48 pm
QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:34 pm At the QD shack, we have a Prime account, along with Netflix and Hulu. More than half the time, the Firestick is used to steam NF and Hulu, but we do watch the occasional movie or the Pluto TV thing in Prime that's a bunch of weird channels. I sometimes spend hours at a time watching Dr Who TV on Pluto. :geek:

But we also have DirectTV. For a complete AT&T bundle (TV, phone, cell phones, copper pair, static IP, etc) we were paying $320 a month. Since we really don't watch DTV much at all, I finally convinced the wife to call and re-do our account to rid ourselves of at least DTV. After much bitching and complaining and vague threats over the phone (all things my wife is very skilled at... ;)), a couple of months ago she got the entire AT&T account re-arranged, and now it's about $200 a month. And now we get 300 channels on DTV that we'll never watch over the 200 channels we never watched in the previous contract. It's supposed to stay set for at least two years, and then we'll likely do it all over again. Or finally ditch DTV, who knows...
So were you getting DTV over internet on AT&T cable, or hybrid satellite-receiver/AT&T cable?

He is getting his internet from AT&T. Instead of also bundling his TV with them he went with a separate satellite connection
Yeah, used to have DTV, just streaming now. Fortunately I have a halfway decent cable company (Optimum/Cablevision). Many in the nearby area have to deal with Crudcast or Time Whiner, aka the new names they're hiding behind.

Satellite doesn't seem worth it if you get decent cable for streaming.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

FSchmertz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:46 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:38 pm
FSchmertz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:14 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:12 pm
nerd_alert wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:22 pm
WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:49 pm Cancelling Dish next week. Don't really want to do the DirectTv 2 year cost slave thing again. Started my 7 day free trial today with YouTube TV so I can can watch the Super Bowl. Looks good. Might as well just go and cut the cord permanently. I have AT&T U-Verse. My only connection between my TV and WiFi ( that I haven't used in years) is an ancient PS3 that is glacial in performance. I'll ask later about different providers of content (Like YouTube TV). Could you offer suggestions on what I devices I need to make this happen. I'm totally in the dark about this. Thanks
You probably want either a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. You can get a free Fire stick if you sign up for SlingTv for 2 months.

Lots of good info here:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com
Thank you very much. After just basic research and checking out the specs between the 2 (both very similar), I'm thinking Roku is the way to go. Firestick seems more advanced, but it has features like voice control, which I could care less about. Anyone see a problem with something I'm missing between the 2. Also, I need to focus on the the distinction between Roku Ultra and Rocku stick. I'm not sure what each does separately. Again, I appreciate everybody's help.
Both Ultra and the latest Firestick have voice control if you want it. Ultra has headphones for private listening. Roku streaming stick is strictly wifi and no voice control or headphones.
Thanks, sounds good to me. I don't need headphones or voice control. Just maybe a final question. Roku stick through AT&T U-verse. How is the HD quality of the picture/ sound compared to Dish HD? Any drop off in quality? I think my internet speed is around 18 mps.
Satellite is really compressed usually (I had DirectTV). On the other hand, 18 mps is barely enough if you want 4K, good for 1080 (4 year old Samsung is probably a 1080 machine though).

The best TV is over the air, all the rest have some compression.
Thanks, FSchmertz. I don't have 4K and my TV is 10180. See the perfect fit on Amazon Prime right now. Roku Streaming Stick HD 4K HDR with voice remote option for $47. Waiting if anyone disagrees.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:59 pm
nerd_alert wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:22 pm

You probably want either a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. You can get a free Fire stick if you sign up for SlingTv for 2 months.

Lots of good info here:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com
Thank you very much. After just basic research and checking out the specs between the 2 (both very similar), I'm thinking Roku is the way to go. Firestick seems more advanced, but it has features like voice control, which I could care less about. Anyone see a problem with something I'm missing between the 2. Also, I need to focus on the the distinction between Roku Ultra and Rocku stick. I'm not sure what each does separately. Again, I appreciate everybody's help.
Both Ultra and the latest Firestick have voice control if you want it. Ultra has headphones for private listening. Roku streaming stick is strictly wifi and no voice control or headphones.
Thanks, sounds good to me. I don't need headphones or voice control. Just maybe a final question. Roku stick through AT&T U-verse. How is the HD quality of the picture/ sound compared to Dish HD? Any drop off in quality? I think my internet speed is around 18 mps.
Satellite is really compressed usually (I had DirectTV). On the other hand, 18 mps is barely enough if you want 4K, good for 1080 (4 year old Samsung is probably a 1080 machine though).

Thanks, FSchmertz. I don't have 4K and my TV is 10180. See the perfect fit on Amazon Prime right now. Roku Streaming Stick HD 4K HDR with voice remote option for $47. Waiting if anyone disagrees.
Looks good. Didn't even know it came with a voice remote option. It's probably a good idea to be able to stream 4K, but right now you don't need that.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

It's a complicated situation between myself, my sister and my Dad and our interwoven connection between cable, internet and phone connections.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:11 am

It's a complicated situation between myself, my sister and my Dad and our interwoven connection between cable, internet and phone connections.
It's time to assert your alpha male status in the family.
I blame Biker.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

It's why I'm really fired up finally cutting this BS cord. My channel options may be limited but the TV is a dark cold screen 20 hours a day anyway. Screw that crap.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Stapes wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:20 am

I talked my Sister into paying for everything. Seems pretty Alpha to me.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:24 am

You live with your Dad and your sister?
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

FSchmertz wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:07 am
WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:59 pm

Looks good. Didn't even know it came with a voice remote option. It's probably a good idea to be able to stream 4K, but right now you don't need that.
Boom. Ordered and be here in 3 days. Thanks tons FSchmertz for your advice and tech expertise. I appreciate it.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:29 am
FSchmertz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:37 pm So were you getting DTV over internet on AT&T cable, or hybrid satellite-receiver/AT&T cable?

As Alpha Males do :lol:
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Ok let's talk content. It's for my Dad that lives with me. Suggest different content providers. I never watch TV but he's News oriented. You Tube TV at $49 seems pretty cool. Any other suggestions.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:53 am I never watch TV
But you start threads about TV shows that you're watching. Got it.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:53 am Ok let's talk content. It's for my Dad that lives with me. Suggest different content providers. I never watch TV but he's News oriented. You Tube TV at $49 seems pretty cool. Any other suggestions.
Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:09 am
Ya there has to be an alternate reality thing going on.

Next we'll find out that the ditzy blonde that he has been fawning over is really his sister. :lol:
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:09 am
It's kind of like you starting intellectual threads even though you are dumb as dirt
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:53 am Ok let's talk content. It's for my Dad that lives with me. Suggest different content providers. I never watch TV but he's News oriented. You Tube TV at $49 seems pretty cool. Any other suggestions.
Sling gets you the Big 3, CNN, Fox and MSNBC.

Also a ton of free news comes standard with Roku.

P.S. $25-$35, depending on standard Orange and Blue packaging
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

FSchmertz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:37 pm So were you getting DTV over internet on AT&T cable, or hybrid satellite-receiver/AT&T cable?

The weird part is that its just the three of them and there's a married couple in the house.
wut?
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Wut wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:37 am

The weird part is that its just the three of them and there's a married couple in the house.
Same-sex marriage has been legal in the U.S. state of Texas since the U.S. Supreme Court ruling of Obergefell v. Hodges on June 26, 2015.
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
nerd_alert
Knows the name of every naked chick

Post by nerd_alert »

Look at philo tv. 59 channels for $20/month. I'll probably switch to that after my discounted 3 months with Sling are up.

Check out locast.org. I' don't know if you will be within anyones's market range, but you can get around that with a VPN.

Lots of free (with ads) streaming services, pluto, xumo, stirr, tubi, etc.

Most of the major news outlets have apps that you can install on your stick.

This will help you.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/how-to- ... e-on-roku/
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Y'all must be rilly rilly smart figuring this all out by yourselves
Whackov
Christ, get a life already!

Post by Whackov »

We got YouTube TV because of the DVR I know that it works with a Roku stick. Not sure if it works with a Fire Stick or not. You have to have decent internet speed to stream though via WiFi.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

CaptQuint wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:52 am Y'all must be rilly rilly smart figuring this all out by yourselves
But he got his sister to pay for it.

He must have sucked her dick.
nerd_alert
Knows the name of every naked chick

Post by nerd_alert »

Whackov wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 am We got YouTube TV because of the DVR I know that it works with a Roku stick. Not sure if it works with a Fire Stick or not. You have to have decent internet speed to stream though via WiFi.
Yeah, DVR feature is a strong selling point for these live tv apps. Sling has a crappy 10 hour limit unless you pay for more storage. Philo lets you DVR unlimited shows and they stay around for 30 days.
JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by JCW »

Do you have unlimited internet at home? If your usage is capped, streaming uses a LOT of data. You should look into that before cutting the cord completely and avoid a huge overage bill.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

JCW wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:09 am Do you have unlimited internet at home? If your usage is capped, streaming uses a LOT of data. You should look into that before cutting the cord completely and avoid a huge overage bill.
What does it matter? He got his sister to pay for it.