How do Bank Routing numbers work?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

How do Bank Routing numbers work?

Post by Animal »

Does every bank account (for a specific bank) have the same routing number in a single state?

For instance, if you have money in a Wells Fargo Bank. Then any account you have in that bank will have the same routing number for any other account in that state. If I have money in a Wells Fargo in Galveston, TX. Then my account has the same routing number as some guy who has a Wells Fargo account in Amarillo. Is that right?

Because if that is true, then people sure go to a lot of god-damned trouble to find routing numbers.
Nero
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Re: How do Bank Routing numbers work?

Post by Nero »

Here's some light reading for you.

https://www.aba.com/-/media/documents/b ... c98c5be079

THE NUMBER OF ROUTING NUMBERS A BANK MAY HAVE A. Regular Routing Numbers 1. Principal Office Number All banks defined as eligible for assignment of regular routing numbers (see Policy Section II.A.) are entitled to at least one such routing number to identify the bank. This routing number shall be associated with the Federal Reserve district and territory in which the office, designated by the bank as its principal office, is located. Relocation of the charter does not require assignment of a new principal office routing number. 2. Assignment of Additional Routing Numbers In addition to the principal office routing number, an institution is eligible to be assigned four additional routing numbers. Additional routing numbers will be assigned according to the principal office location, unless otherwise requested by the applicant institution. Additional numbers, beyond the number provided for in this Policy, will not be assigned without the approval of the Routing Number Administrative Board.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

Did you not watch Catch me if you can?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

I think it's some sort of black magic.
wut?
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

Flumper wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:59 pm Does every bank account (for a specific bank) have the same routing number in a single state?

For instance, if you have money in a Wells Fargo Bank. Then any account you have in that bank will have the same routing number for any other account in that state. If I have money in a Wells Fargo in Galveston, TX. Then my account has the same routing number as some guy who has a Wells Fargo account in Amarillo. Is that right?

Because if that is true, then people sure go to a lot of god-damned trouble to find routing numbers.
Why do I get the feeling your employees will find themselves locked out of work next 8 AM Monday while you occupy your new hacienda in Medellin.
Last edited by WestTexasCrude on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast
Interests: Breasts

Post by Who »

Good timing Flumper, with Trump in office nobody will notice whatever scam you are cooking up
A Legend In His Own Mind

All Posts Fair & Balanced
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

Who wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:42 am Good timing Flumper, with Trump in office nobody will notice whatever scam you are cooking up
Nothing funnier than an old fool.
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
fouts
Forum God

Post by fouts »

As was explained to me,routing numbers ID the bank name and location where the account was opened. Your account number reflexes type of account and where it was opened. So answer is 'no', wells fargo in different cities has different routing numbers directly to relating to where the account was opened.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

I don't know about banks, but credit unions in Florida only use one routing number per credit union brand.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:08 am I don't know about banks, but credit unions in Florida only use one routing number per credit union brand.
Off subject, you and BRR have a major problem on your hands. It's time for you both to take control of your site.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:50 am
QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:08 am I don't know about banks, but credit unions in Florida only use one routing number per credit union brand.
Off subject, you and BRR have a major problem on your hands. It's time for you both to take control of your site.
Why don't you tell them how to run their site....
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady

Post by QillerDaemon »

Like Mr Spock, I'm all ears.
WestTexasCrude

Post by WestTexasCrude »

QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:02 am
We get banning FSF for 2 weeks. Deserved it. But you 2 are ignoring the 4-5 trolls that are making this site almost not worth even visiting. I suggest it's time to send a message. It's hardly worth the effort anymore. Wake the F Up. All I'm saying.PM me and I'll explain more.
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:11 am
We get banning FSF for 2 weeks. Deserved it. But you 2 are ignoring the 4-5 trolls that are making this site almost not worth even visiting. I suggest it's time to send a message. It's hardly worth the effort anymore. Wake the F Up. All I'm saying.
You need to stop saying "we" and using "I" and owning your own shit.
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast
Interests: Breasts

Post by Who »

Mr Spock had pointy ears, not overly large like dumbo
A Legend In His Own Mind

All Posts Fair & Balanced
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Sheesh that was a sad, violent cartoon.

Still, racism was fun and innocent back then.

A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

WestTexasCrude wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:11 am
We get banning FSF for 2 weeks. Deserved it. But you 2 are ignoring the 4-5 trolls that are making this site almost not worth even visiting. I suggest it's time to send a message. It's hardly worth the effort anymore. Wake the F Up. All I'm saying.PM me and I'll explain more.
TRANSLATION: WTC thinks UJR would be a much better place if they just ban everyone who makes fun of him.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady

Post by QillerDaemon »

I'll leave it to the mods (ER, AH, Biker, and Hawkfan) to do any banning, and trust their judgment about who they ban and why, and they have the tools to do so. I tend to lean towards allowing a number of forum behaviors other forums wouldn't, but we're a social forum. Our forum is like a bad episode of Seinfeld, where things really don't have to happen for a reason, they just do. We're a forum about nothing. Literally, nothing.

If any of our members really have an issue with the content and the members who post it, I'm a PM away. I'm here practically all the time, even when I'm not. And our mods can also be PM'd with your concerns. But it isn't my intent that the ban-hammer gets swung around just to swing it.
JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by JCW »

What WTC fails to realize is if the ankle-biters get banned, hes going down with them. Responding to their bait is equally as annoying as instigating it.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

fouts wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 am As was explained to me,routing numbers ID the bank name and location where the account was opened. Your account number reflexes type of account and where it was opened. So answer is 'no', wells fargo in different cities has different routing numbers directly to relating to where the account was opened.
and that's what I thought. I thought that each individual bank location had its on individual routing number (like a SSN). But, no, that's not how it works. Google "wells fargo routing number texas" (insert whatever bank you use and whatever state you are in). You should either get a number or a list of all the states for that bank and ONE number for each bank in each state. Then check that number against one of your checks and see if it matches.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

JCW wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:04 pm What WTC fails to realize is if the ankle-biters get banned, hes going down with them. Responding to their bait is equally as annoying as instigating it.
It's always funny when WTC starts trying to take the high road and starts acting all holier-than-thou like he's somehow not guilty of slinging insults himself.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

would you knuckle heads please keep this shit out of my thread. thanks.
allwhitemeat
Forum Irregular

Post by allwhitemeat »

are these really the things that you sit and wonder?

I wonder things like "how does soap work? not how do you use soap, but what is it about soap that makes it do what it does"

then I go and research the answer through various sources and compare the reported science behind it.

btw, its the molecular shape of soap molecules, how it has a water loving head and water hating tail that makes it able to emulsify (break down into suspension) fat and grease. in chemistry, like/similar compounds dissolve like/similar compounds. since the tail of a soap molecule acts like a lipid (non polar) and a the head of the molecule behaves like water (polar) soap has the unique ability that it can both dissolve into water and dissolve and separate oils from the water and material to be cleaned. soap molecules form chains that look like matches lined up in a match book, and these chains are able to dissolve into water then surround and bind grease and fatty acids (lipids) to itself, while still in aqueous suspension.

which is a slightly more complicated answer than "you rub it on and then rinse it off, that's how soap works"
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes"
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

I don't think it is state based in general, but maybe it is for some areas. Some banks have different branches under one routing number,but many banks have one routing number for each bank branch. I have no idea what determines it, but I do know the federal govt keeps a complete list of them, and updates it as new ones are added.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

allwhitemeat wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:52 pm are these really the things that you sit and wonder?

I wonder things like "how does soap work? not how do you use soap, but what is it about soap that makes it do what it does"

then I go and research the answer through various sources and compare the reported science behind it.

btw, its the molecular shape of soap molecules, how it has a water loving head and water hating tail that makes it able to emulsify (break down into suspension) fat and grease. in chemistry, like/similar compounds dissolve like/similar compounds. since the tail of a soap molecule acts like a lipid (non polar) and a the head of the molecule behaves like water (polar) soap has the unique ability that it can both dissolve into water and dissolve and separate oils from the water and material to be cleaned. soap molecules form chains that look like matches lined up in a match book, and these chains are able to dissolve into water then surround and bind grease and fatty acids (lipids) to itself, while still in aqueous suspension.

which is a slightly more complicated answer than "you rub it on and then rinse it off, that's how soap works"
what i find the most interesting about soap. my mom used to go to a cafe and get their old grease. big buckets of the grease they used to fry stuff in. And she would make soap out of it. she did it for gifts, not out of necessity.