How do Bank Routing numbers work?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Re: How do Bank Routing numbers work?

Post by JCW »

Flumper wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:10 pm
what i find the most interesting about soap. my mom used to go to a cafe and get their old grease. big buckets of the grease they used to fry stuff in. And she would make soap out of it. she did it for gifts, not out of necessity.
If it tastes like bacon, getting your mouth washed out with soap wouldnt be such a bad thing?
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:06 pm I don't think it is state based in general, but maybe it is for some areas. Some banks have different branches under one routing number,but many banks have one routing number for each bank branch. I have no idea what determines it, but I do know the federal govt keeps a complete list of them, and updates it as new ones are added.
do me a favor. you are in washington, state, right? You probably have a checking account. If it is one of these, see if this is the routing number:

Wells Fargo 125008547
Chase Bank 325070760
Washington Trust 011500858

Or google "__________ Bank routing number wa"
allwhitemeat
Forum Irregular

Post by allwhitemeat »

Flumper wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:10 pm
allwhitemeat wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:52 pm are these really the things that you sit and wonder?

I wonder things like "how does soap work? not how do you use soap, but what is it about soap that makes it do what it does"

then I go and research the answer through various sources and compare the reported science behind it.

btw, its the molecular shape of soap molecules, how it has a water loving head and water hating tail that makes it able to emulsify (break down into suspension) fat and grease. in chemistry, like/similar compounds dissolve like/similar compounds. since the tail of a soap molecule acts like a lipid (non polar) and a the head of the molecule behaves like water (polar) soap has the unique ability that it can both dissolve into water and dissolve and separate oils from the water and material to be cleaned. soap molecules form chains that look like matches lined up in a match book, and these chains are able to dissolve into water then surround and bind grease and fatty acids (lipids) to itself, while still in aqueous suspension.

which is a slightly more complicated answer than "you rub it on and then rinse it off, that's how soap works"
what i find the most interesting about soap. my mom used to go to a cafe and get their old grease. big buckets of the grease they used to fry stuff in. And she would make soap out of it. she did it for gifts, not out of necessity.
soap is basically just a form of a fatty acid, so it makes sense.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes"
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

allwhitemeat wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:18 pm soap is basically just a form of a fatty acid, so it makes sense.
I don't know the science behind it, but i know it works because i watched it happen. The irony of the whole thing is that you take a substance that is on the farthest point of the spectrum (used grease from frying food) and you turn that into something on the other end of the spectrum (soap, for cleaning yourself).
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

allwhitemeat wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:52 pm are these really the things that you sit and wonder?

I wonder things like "how does soap work? not how do you use soap, but what is it about soap that makes it do what it does"

then I go and research the answer through various sources and compare the reported science behind it.

btw, its the molecular shape of soap molecules, how it has a water loving head and water hating tail that makes it able to emulsify (break down into suspension) fat and grease. in chemistry, like/similar compounds dissolve like/similar compounds. since the tail of a soap molecule acts like a lipid (non polar) and a the head of the molecule behaves like water (polar) soap has the unique ability that it can both dissolve into water and dissolve and separate oils from the water and material to be cleaned. soap molecules form chains that look like matches lined up in a match book, and these chains are able to dissolve into water then surround and bind grease and fatty acids (lipids) to itself, while still in aqueous suspension.

which is a slightly more complicated answer than "you rub it on and then rinse it off, that's how soap works"
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
allwhitemeat
Forum Irregular

Post by allwhitemeat »

Flumper wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:43 pm
allwhitemeat wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:18 pm soap is basically just a form of a fatty acid, so it makes sense.
I don't know the science behind it, but i know it works because i watched it happen. The irony of the whole thing is that you take a substance that is on the farthest point of the spectrum (used grease from frying food) and you turn that into something on the other end of the spectrum (soap, for cleaning yourself).
like I mentioned about like compounds breaking down like compounds, think of it as you are using a dilluted fat to break down another more concentrated fat.

you cant use water alone to clean oil, it doesn't break it down into smaller parts (emulsify). but another oil can break down and dissolve another oil (like brake cleaner and grease). Soap due to the long chains it forms as a result of its molecular shape, can be dissolved in water AND still retain their ability to break down other fat acids.

i watch weird shit on youtube at 2 am when I cant sleep. Lots of "why and how?" type videos
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes"
megman
Nanook of the North

Post by megman »

allwhitemeat wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:01 pm
like I mentioned about like compounds breaking down like compounds, think of it as you are using a dilluted fat to break down another more concentrated fat.

Then shouldn't there be a lot more skinny people around?
MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE. IT"S MY TOLERANCE FOR IDIOTS THAT NEEDS WORK
allwhitemeat
Forum Irregular

Post by allwhitemeat »

megman wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:59 pm
allwhitemeat wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:01 pm

Then shouldn't there be a lot more skinny people around?
fatties cant concentrate on anything but food, so its hard to break them down.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Flumper wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:15 pm
hawkfan8812 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:06 pm I don't think it is state based in general, but maybe it is for some areas. Some banks have different branches under one routing number,but many banks have one routing number for each bank branch. I have no idea what determines it, but I do know the federal govt keeps a complete list of them, and updates it as new ones are added.
do me a favor. you are in washington, state, right? You probably have a checking account. If it is one of these, see if this is the routing number:

Wells Fargo 125008547
Chase Bank 325070760

The software I work for has the Fed transit number database, and I guess I had not noticed before.
The Wells was for sure all WA branches
The Chase was WA OR and DC
And the Wash Trust was CT and RI
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:42 pm
Flumper wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Wells Fargo 125008547
Chase Bank 325070760

The software I work for has the Fed transit number database, and I guess I had not noticed before.
The Wells was for sure all WA branches
The Chase was WA OR and DC
And the Wash Trust was CT and RI
I guess its just me, but I just find it interesting that "routing numbers" are so generic. I mean, it seems people make such a big deal out of "The HAVE TO KNOW MY ROUTING NUMBER!!!!! OMG! What is it? Where do i find it?" Like its some secret social security number that only your checking account has and its locked in a vault somewhere.

I mean, I get that a place can't know if you do all of your banking in the same state, etc. But, shit, its not that hard.