Yikes Howie! Trophy fish now off-limits as N.J. reels in rules for striper fishing

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Yikes Howie! Trophy fish now off-limits as N.J. reels in rules for striper fishing

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

At least you're still allowed to take home a certain sized fish. That's weird.

"The new rules allow anglers to keep one fish between 28 inches and less than 38 inches long, per fishing trip. The rule is what is known as a slot limit, because it sets a minimum size and maximum size for fish that can be kept."

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/02/trophy- ... shing.html
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Re: Yikes Howie! Trophy fish now off-limits as N.J. reels in rules for striper fishing

I'll prolly be with the wife jigging for them on a party boat this spring. The blue's are highly plentiful so I'm sure I'll catch something. Nice, it's BYOB. 8-)
nerd_alert
Knows the name of every naked chick

Re: Yikes Howie! Trophy fish now off-limits as N.J. reels in rules for striper fishing

Post by nerd_alert »

FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 am At least you're still allowed to take home a certain sized fish. That's weird.

"The new rules allow anglers to keep one fish between 28 inches and less than 38 inches long, per fishing trip. The rule is what is known as a slot limit, because it sets a minimum size and maximum size for fish that can be kept."

I remember back in the 80's, Maryland banned all rockfish (striped bass) fishing in the Chesapeake Bay. They actually bounced back quicker than expected and the banned was lifted. I know they imposed limits in 2019 and I think they restricting the limit more this year. They just get over-fished like crazy.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

nerd_alert wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:20 am
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 am At least you're still allowed to take home a certain sized fish. That's weird.

I remember back in the 80's, Maryland banned all rockfish (striped bass) fishing in the Chesapeake Bay. They actually bounced back quicker than expected and the banned was lifted. I know they imposed limits in 2019 and I think they restricting the limit more this year. They just get over-fished like crazy.
I've only caught one keeper that was a striper in my life. It didn't put up much of a fight but it was good eating. On the party boats by Point Pleasant NJ in the manasquan inlet they always go out night fishing for bluefish, like on the Norma K.

Bluefish are far more plentiful here and put up much more of a fight. The problem is they're full of oily gamey dark meat and aren't as good eating as the stripers. Throw a little flour on them and pan fry them and they're still edible though.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Norma K, out fishing off the NJ coast from the Manasquan inlet.

NJ Bluefish, highly plentiful.
Peter Fitzeasy
Forum Regular

Post by Peter Fitzeasy »

That is an anadromous perciform fish of the family Moronidae found primarily along the Atlantic coast of North America and has been widely introduced into inland recreational fisheries across the US.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

BigRedRetard wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:11 am
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:05 am Norma K, out fishing off the NJ coast from the Manasquan inlet.

NJ Bluefish, highly plentiful.
This is a striper
FUCK, I knew it. Thx for the correction. OK, let's see if I can find a bluefish pic. That one did show up when I searched for NJ bluefish on google. Let's get one thing straight though, that is the Norma K.

OK, bluefish.

I've caught plenty of them in my day, including on my grandpa's henry luhr 34 foot fishing boat.

I got pretty good at filleting them too.

FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Here's a bigger blue. I'm guessing it's in the 15 - 20 pound range. I caught a few them too.

Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

Manasquan Inlet. My hometown. I've done some flounder fishing on the Norma K
I blame Biker.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Used to go out at 4am and catch a shitload of blues and use em for bait for sharkin
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

CaptQuint wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:21 pm Used to go out at 4am and catch a shitload of blues and use em for bait for sharkin
The only sharks I ever caught were sand sharks when I was bottom fishing.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:30 pm
CaptQuint wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:21 pm Used to go out at 4am and catch a shitload of blues and use em for bait for sharkin
Used to go for makos and tuna
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Nero
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by Nero »

Redfish on the Texas coast has a slot limit. I think it's 20-28 inches. Not sure if that covers all of the gulf coast or not.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

Nero wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:36 am Redfish on the Texas coast has a slot limit. I think it's 20-28 inches. Not sure if that covers all of the gulf coast or not.
A few of the lakes up here have slot limits on Walleye. Fucking commie bastards. 15 to 20 inches then 1 over 28.
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

BigRedRetard wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:50 am
CaptQuint wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:09 pm
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:30 pm
Used to go for makos and tuna
My brother goes Mako fishing a few times a year. He does a lot of the Mako tournaments. He also catches blues for shark bait. He uses live bunker to catch the blues.
Bunker oil in the chum slick