Cuttin' hours

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Cuttin' hours

Post by CHEEZY17 »

I've already told one employee I won't need him next week and I've had to cut the rest of my staffs hours by about 10% so far. Overall business is "only" down about 15% from last month so the plague hasnt totally wiped us out...yet. Looks like the government is offering some temporary help to small businesses in the form of low interest loans etc. to manage expenses. Thankfully not to that point yet. I think for myself and others it comes down to how long this lasts: If its only a month, maybe two, I think most small businesses will be ok and rebound. If its a clusterfuck until August or September? I dont know how many can weather that storm.

Heres Kyla Cole showing the goods:

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Re: Cuttin' hours

Post by AnalHamster »

We've switched to bottle sales only and are starting a home delivery service, but with all the pubs now shut and social gatherings being avoided we just can't shift beer already packaged in casks and kegs. That's a big hit if the shutdown exceeds the shelf life. On the plus side, we have enough beer to ride out the apocalypse while maintaining a buzz.

Every brewery in the country is going to be doing the same thing with bottling and deliveries, which is causing problems getting supplies too. We nabbed the last pallet of bottles our supplier has and can't currently restock on basics like cleaning supplies and gloves, stuff we just can't run without day to day. The morons panic buying food and toilet paper will be fine, the supply lines are running fine and those things will restock in the short term when the hoarders realise they have enough TP for the year and it's still coming. Things like empty bottles and gloves though the shortage is due to a demand spike that's going to stay high. We could be pretty screwed by this.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

By me the liquor stores are mobbed and I've read sales are through the roof. People are definitely consuming alcohol. They won't close down the liquor stores because they're considered "essential" businesses. :lol:

Meanwhile, there are two chinese and one asian fusion restaurant by me that have shut down. I'm not sure if it's permanently but people are staying away from chinese restaurants these days.
WarmBidetWater
Forum God

Post by WarmBidetWater »

My daughter's employer announced on Monday at a staff meeting that there would be no layoffs and "we will get thru this". Yesterday he layed off several employees.
FreakShowFanatic
12 Monkeys and More!

Post by FreakShowFanatic »

I wonder what the unemployment rate is gonna be when this pandemic maxes out?
Whackov
Christ, get a life already!

Post by Whackov »

AnalHamster wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:27 am We've switched to bottle sales only and are starting a home delivery service, but with all the pubs now shut and social gatherings being avoided we just can't shift beer already packaged in casks and kegs. That's a big hit if the shutdown exceeds the shelf life. On the plus side, we have enough beer to ride out the apocalypse while maintaining a buzz.

Every brewery in the country is going to be doing the same thing with bottling and deliveries, which is causing problems getting supplies too. We nabbed the last pallet of bottles our supplier has and can't currently restock on basics like cleaning supplies and gloves, stuff we just can't run without day to day. The morons panic buying food and toilet paper will be fine, the supply lines are running fine and those things will restock in the short term when the hoarders realise they have enough TP for the year and it's still coming. Things like empty bottles and gloves though the shortage is due to a demand spike that's going to stay high. We could be pretty screwed by this.
If nothing else and before it goes bad, try to donate some to the local police and firefighters and take a tax write off. Not sure of the tax laws over there but it would beat pouring it down the drain. What is the sellable shelf life on your kegs and casks?
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

The ex was laid off, but she has severe asthma and her boss did it to reduce her chances of exposure...damnit.
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

That's the one nice thing about working in the medical field: we'll almost always be needed. Even us IT folks, someone has to keep the servers and networks up and running. I'm happily just as busy as I ever am, hospitals and doctors' offices are doing basically business as usual.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
Zerobeat
Forum God

Post by Zerobeat »

FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:54 pm I wonder what the unemployment rate is gonna be when this pandemic maxes out?
I skimmed an article that basically said not to be surprised at 25%+, when it's all said and done. They didn't qualify that number as "worst case scenario" either, so view it for what it's worth.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

New York (Kaleeforneah too, I think) already shut down everything non-essential.

I assume PA-NJ-Conn are soon to follow, as soon as tomorrow. That's gonna result in essentially 90% unemployment.

The guess is it'll initially be planned until mid-April.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

I'm working for the government and am scheduled to work at home but I'll be going in a few days a week to help field calls.

The work at home is slow so I volunteered for the corona virus hotline here but I haven't heard back yet.

I also contacted the owners of a few small businesses I know to offer volunteer help if they need it.
wut?
HighNDry
Christ, get a life already!

Post by HighNDry »

I have nothing to add other than Kyla Cole has the best bush of all time.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
-Mitch Hedberg
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

HighNDry wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:24 pm I have nothing to add other than Kyla Cole has the best bush of all time.
Unfortunately, she never did any hardcore. :(
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

HighNDry wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:24 pm I have nothing to add other than Kyla Cole has the best bush of all time.
Kyla Cole almost single-handedly thumbed her nose at the totally shaved movement when it got started. At a time when it was all the rage to go bald she said "nope" and flaunted that bush with pride. One of my all time favorites.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
peterosehaircut
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by peterosehaircut »

Blast wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:35 pm The ex was laid off, but she has severe asthma and her boss did it to reduce her chances of exposure...damnit.
Better luck next time buddy!
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Whackov wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:26 pm
AnalHamster wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:27 am We've switched to bottle sales only and are starting a home delivery service, but with all the pubs now shut and social gatherings being avoided we just can't shift beer already packaged in casks and kegs. That's a big hit if the shutdown exceeds the shelf life. On the plus side, we have enough beer to ride out the apocalypse while maintaining a buzz.

If nothing else and before it goes bad, try to donate some to the local police and firefighters and take a tax write off. Not sure of the tax laws over there but it would beat pouring it down the drain. What is the sellable shelf life on your kegs and casks?
Depends on the beer, our stout will just keep getting better with age pretty much indefinitely, but the biggest seller is a hoppy IPA, and with that after a couple of months or so it's passed its best. It doesn't go off exactly, you just start to lose the hoppiness. The amber will improve for about 6 weeks then start getting overly bitter. We'll have to discuss what to do with it depending on how long the shut down is, eventually tap a couple and have some tastings. Rep is pretty important starting out, we have to put out consistent top quality. It'll stay drinkable for many months, but it won't be the quality we're aiming for. Beer duty is owed when it is packaged, but on the plus side anything spoilt is tax free. Also expecting some tax breaks and a bit of commie cash due to the crisis.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Biker wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:01 pm

Are you guys getting pinched by the big breweries who are buying in larger quantities from suppliers?
For now all that happened is everyone sold out, too quick even to cause a price spike. I expect prices of bottling and cleaning supplies will spike, but be at least partly offset by ingredients dropping. I guess it'll come down to if the factories keep churning it out and can step up for the demand. Based on what's happening in Italy and now Spain, I'm not seeing this ending any time soon. Just not enough respirators.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

That is one problem the "Just in Time" supply system has.