Sea level rise...We are sinking...justa little

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Sea level rise...We are sinking...justa little

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

saltydog wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:52 pm So, climate change is real?
Ask the earthworms 50,000 years ago
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Ricrude wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:51 pm I know...not sure I believe it but move the cursor to year 2050...looks like some of the Texas coast will be hit pretty good. Was at the beach week before last and it just seemed to me that the high tides are getting higher than what I remembered, or the dunes are just getting shorter. I'm sure DOT will be by to blame it on my faulty memory and conservatives.
i have a friend that owns a fishing camp in way way south new orleans. his place will be gone if that map is right. the time line is just hard to imagine.
Ricrude
No life apart from this stupid forum board
Interests: Drinking, gambling, running around with the wrong crowd, pranks...typical UJ stuff.

Post by Ricrude »

Animal wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:45 pm
Ricrude wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:51 pm I know...not sure I believe it but move the cursor to year 2050...looks like some of the Texas coast will be hit pretty good. Was at the beach week before last and it just seemed to me that the high tides are getting higher than what I remembered, or the dunes are just getting shorter. I'm sure DOT will be by to blame it on my faulty memory and conservatives.
i have a friend that owns a fishing camp in way way south new orleans. his place will be gone if that map is right. the time line is just hard to imagine.
Makes you wonder. I've thought at times as to exactly how much math goes into the computation of things like this. One decimal spot to many and the world ended yesterday.
It is absolutely amazing that some people survive walking out of their homes...fo reelz!
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Ricrude wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:52 pm
Makes you wonder. I've thought at times as to exactly how much math goes into the computation of things like this. One decimal spot to many and the world ended yesterday.
well, when you start talking about New Orleans, this game should be done with extreme caution for that exact reason. So much of that area is only above sea level because someone dredged some silt up enough to get it above water. In that area fractions of inches can mean a lot.
Ricrude
Interests: Drinking, gambling, running around with the wrong crowd, pranks...typical UJ stuff.

Post by Ricrude »

Animal wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:44 pm
Ricrude wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:52 pm
well, when you start talking about New Orleans, this game should be done with extreme caution for that exact reason. So much of that area is only above sea level because someone dredged some silt up enough to get it above water. In that area fractions of inches can mean a lot.
New Orleans has always been a spot that everyone looks at first...If I remember correctly, didn't the army corps of engineers rebuild and strengthen all the sea walls after Katrina ?
It is absolutely amazing that some people survive walking out of their homes...fo reelz!
Ricrude

Post by Ricrude »

stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

I GOTTA SEE THE CANDY FIRST, THEN I'LL GET IN THE VAN. I'M NOT STUPID.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Ricrude wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:09 pm
New Orleans has always been a spot that everyone looks at first...If I remember correctly, didn't the army corps of engineers rebuild and strengthen all the sea walls after Katrina ?
True, for the amount of establish business already being done along the Mississippi River from just above Baton Rouge down past NO. Still might not mean much if the old river has anything to say about it. Almost 200 years ago, if the Mississippi had been left alone, most of it would now be flowing down what's the Atchafalaya River. Baton Rouge and NO would have little better than a slow creek flowing thru them.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Ameri ... -Structure
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
Ricrude

Post by Ricrude »

QillerDaemon wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:56 pm
Ricrude wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:09 pm
True, for the amount of establish business already being done along the Mississippi River from just above Baton Rouge down past NO. Still might not mean much if the old river has anything to say about it. Almost 200 years ago, if the Mississippi had been left alone, most of it would now be flowing down what's the Atchafalaya River. Baton Rouge and NO would have little better than a slow creek flowing thru them.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Ameri ... -Structure
New Orleans would have maybe a fifth of its population today...
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。