NEW GAME: If you could only pick one stock for 2023

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: NEW GAME: If you could only pick one stock for 2023

Post by Animal »

Dickey Betts wasn't the lead singer, but he was a singer for the Allman Brothers and he just died in April. I know the Allman Brothers still tour, so I would start there. Good luck.
jsdspif
Tells *VERY* interesting (but true) stories.

Post by jsdspif »

I'm somewhat fucked up at this point , but for me ,not all that much at this point. I just dumped a half of beer and said "no more beer" but I know how that ends. But from 1995 or so until i don't remember when, since you mentioned Dickey Betts / allman brothers. Back in 94 or so Molly Hatchet came out with a new album called devils canyon and it smoked. I went and saw them , in sort of a horse barn, I think it was firehouse and Vixen was supposed to open for them , it was Ionia county fair in Michigan but I don't think firehouse and vixen played. I got there late and I mean no one was there. And as I said , I am now ready for a beer. So a couple swallows (just like a good woman !) So anyway they get up and play all the classic tunes and most of the new Devil's Canyon which just fucking rocked! so a short time later months or so my wife got here , she immigrated legally after I married her in the Phillippines , that took about 14 months. Shortly there after we went to Chicago for a molly hatchet concert. It was me going to the show and she was going to hang out with my son who was like 11 or so at the hotel. he was my son from a previous relationship and I got custody of him so he was about 8 years or so younger than my wife. I am extremely lucky, in my opinion , that my wife and my son got along so great. Don't hold anything against them because they were related to me , or it would be like when Ken Calhoun installed the new urinals at the rink "BOY!, anyone messes wit these urinals, they better be quicker than my brother Mark, Or BOY! they're going to be in trouble!"So we go to house of blues in "chitcago" to buy my ticket , and there's a tour bus and the then "new " lead singer , Phil McCormick steps off the bus, so I told him " I just saw you in Ionia a few months back" and he was "oh fuck , I know I fucked that name up" because he kept saying " I- O- nia" when people announce it ' I-own- ya" I just said fuck that you fuckers rocked and he was " I like your style , I'm Phil" I'm "I know I'm Jamie, you fuckers jammed it" So that started , I don't know 15 year or so freindship? he was awesome. We met up at shows and he was always "Jamie what the hell don't say yeah say hell yeah , come here brother" The epitome of cool. The guy was beyond class act. we had a couple nights I'd hang with him. I'd leave thinking my wife and my son (who was froma differnt relationship, but my son was only about 8 years younger than my wife) are at each other throats, but I'd get back to my room and they're playing video games. Needless to say , my son and ex wife are two pretty cool folks in my life, But Phil and I saw each other at 4 or 5 shows, always met up, we had really just serious conversations, where as most of my conversations I just don't want to put effort into it, because the people just don't "get it" The Big deal was he and I got pizza in his room and we discussed stuff and it got into Elvis and Howard Hughes, I shook hands with Elvis in 1977 and I told him that and I had just read a very good book about Howard Hughes so we both "got off on a gas" about that. He had an older brother that was either missing in action or still prisoner of war from vietnam. I so seldom had or to this day have serious conversation, it is just uncircumcized for me, but this dude was the coolest dude I ever met , and on top of that , in my mind he was the rock star. I thought he did a fantastic job in Molly Hatchet and then I learned he passed and it was a let down. Hadn't seen him for a few years, but one night before we went back to his room to get pizza, during the free meet and greet after the show, he stood up and gave me a big hug , and said "you're one of us brother, stick around and we'll go get the greasiest pizza we can get!" Which is how he ordered the pizza the first night that we hooked up. Class act is an understatement and make jokes all you want, but with those guys it was 100% live , and they fucking "smoked it" every time I saw them.

just put on the live double cd "locked and loaded" Phil at his best, and as he would put it "Goes ot to all the MIA's and killed in actions! Hell yeah" he was a class act, and I feel blessed he chose me as a friend.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Tesla’s Profit Falls for Second Straight Quarter
https://www.wsj.com/business/autos/tesl ... r-3e849b36
"We've got a god for everything. The only thing we don't have a god for is premature ejaculation... but I hear that's coming quickly" (Mel Brooks)
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

stonedmegman wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:36 pm Tesla’s Profit Falls for Second Straight Quarter
https://www.wsj.com/business/autos/tesl ... r-3e849b36
damn, its plunging after hours. down over $17 per share.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Anyone want to buy my Crowdstrike stock?
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

B-Tender wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:29 am Anyone want to buy my Crowdstrike stock?
I have some as well. I'm still in the black but definitely took a hit. The greedy part of me says this might be a buying opportunity but the negative side thinks this might have already sullied the brand to the point it cant be redeemed.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:10 am
B-Tender wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:29 am Anyone want to buy my Crowdstrike stock?
I have some as well. I'm still in the black but definitely took a hit. The greedy part of me says this might be a buying opportunity but the negative side thinks this might have already sullied the brand to the point it cant be redeemed.
I sold it today. I just don't know how long it will take to get past this mess.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

B-Tender wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:49 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:10 am
I sold it today. I just don't know how long it will take to get past this mess.
are they going to be financially liable for the costs of any of the damage? I didn't read the article, but I saw one today that was talking about the costs of that outage.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Animal wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:16 pm are they going to be financially liable for the costs of any of the damage? I didn't read the article, but I saw one today that was talking about the costs of that outage.
Yes, they very well could be. Our own company was brought down Friday morning due to this business. About 80% of our total world-wide workstations were brought down. At this point, we have almost 90% of those back up and running normally. The others were not harmed by the CrowdStrike update since they were either off or isolated from the network. CS hit early Friday morning, and it didn't actually take them long to realize there was a big problem and correct it, so a lot of workstations were spared. But those workstations hit, it created many blue recovery screens all around, since so many of our systems have 24/7 uptime. And due to the nature of our business, we need CS, as does our largest competitors who also got hit with similar results. To be on our company's network in whatever fashion, the CS client specific to our company needs to be installed. Simple and no bullshit.

If your company does not have a CS account, you did not get hit, and you wouldn't have. This only affected huge companies with security needs that CS offers. I won't go into what I know about the update, but if you know anything about deep programming, especially system programming, you've probably heard of a "null pointer" and the effects it can have in "Ring 0". This blue recovery screen was actually a good thing, it kept a lot of systems from being in a bad state that might have allowed malware and network attacks. That's a large part of what CS protects against. And it was a single file that caused it. But getting to that file has been the major headache, the other network security options we use like Microsoft's BitLocker got in the way. It should be noted this only affected Windows computers, which is why Microsoft got blamed at first. It did not affect CS programs for non-Windows operating systems like the Mac and Unix/Linux, which account for a good number of those systems unaffected.

As for liability, most companies our size have IT insurance to tide against lost of income and the costs of getting a company's IT back up. But only to a relative degree. If it goes beyond such coverage, then CS certainly can be brought to pay. I wouldn't envy being an employee of CS right now. But CS is going nowhere, and I doubt seriously this will hamper their overall business much. In a month of so, it will be mostly forgotten other than by the legal and finance teams. The rest of us will remember in a faint haze about that week back in July of 2024, the way we recall similar other nasty situations where we had long sleepless days and nights manually restoring our company computers. We did our jobs and moved on.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

QillerDaemon wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:22 pm
Animal wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:16 pm are they going to be financially liable for the costs of any of the damage? I didn't read the article, but I saw one today that was talking about the costs of that outage.
Yes, they very well could be. Our own company was brought down Friday morning due to this business. About 80% of our total world-wide workstations were brought down. At this point, we have almost 90% of those back up and running normally. The others were not harmed by the CrowdStrike update since they were either off or isolated from the network. CS hit early Friday morning, and it didn't actually take them long to realize there was a big problem and correct it, so a lot of workstations were spared. But those workstations hit, it created many blue recovery screens all around, since so many of our systems have 24/7 uptime. And due to the nature of our business, we need CS, as does our largest competitors who also got hit with similar results. To be on our company's network in whatever fashion, the CS client specific to our company needs to be installed. Simple and no bullshit.

If your company does not have a CS account, you did not get hit, and you wouldn't have. This only affected huge companies with security needs that CS offers. I won't go into what I know about the update, but if you know anything about deep programming, especially system programming, you've probably heard of a "null pointer" and the effects it can have in "Ring 0". This blue recovery screen was actually a good thing, it kept a lot of systems from being in a bad state that might have allowed malware and network attacks. That's a large part of what CS protects against. And it was a single file that caused it. But getting to that file has been the major headache, the other network security options we use like Microsoft's BitLocker got in the way. It should be noted this only affected Windows computers, which is why Microsoft got blamed at first. It did not affect CS programs for non-Windows operating systems like the Mac and Unix/Linux, which account for a good number of those systems unaffected.

As for liability, most companies our size have IT insurance to tide against lost of income and the costs of getting a company's IT back up. But only to a relative degree. If it goes beyond such coverage, then CS certainly can be brought to pay. I wouldn't envy being an employee of CS right now. But CS is going nowhere, and I doubt seriously this will hamper their overall business much. In a month of so, it will be mostly forgotten other than by the legal and finance teams. The rest of us will remember in a faint haze about that week back in July of 2024, the way we recall similar other nasty situations where we had long sleepless days and nights manually restoring our company computers. We did our jobs and moved on.
I would compare this to hitting a fiber optic line during a construction job. Hitting the line has the expense of fixing the problem, obviously, but what revenue was lost during the time it was down? Well, that's the million dollar question (literally). And it seems like the game is to see how many zeros can be added. It gets ridiculous. I have never had to pay one, but I have had a few wagged in front of me that were just mind blowing. Until they found out that all of the correct people were called in advance and the line wasn't where it was supposed to be, etc (not my fault).

For the super serious lines, someone will show up within minutes of parking a backhoe near one. whether you call them or not. they fly those lines 24 hours a day and look for construction work in the area.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Based on QD's clear and concise recommendation here to buy more stock, I'm going to treat this as a buying opportunity. Dont let me down QD!
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:14 pm Based on QD's clear and concise recommendation here to buy more stock, I'm going to treat this as a buying opportunity. Dont let me down QD!
Have I ever let you down before?
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:14 pm

Based on QD's clear and concise recommendation here to buy more stock, I'm going to treat this as a buying opportunity. Dont let me down QD!
I took the Crowdstrike proceeds and bought an ETF for the Russell 2000.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

B-Tender wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:06 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:14 pm

I took the Crowdstrike proceeds and bought an ETF for the Russell 2000.
I do love me a good ETF!
Ive got a shitload of QYLD and that fucker pays a monthly dividend that just kicks all kinds of ass.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Sweet baby Jeezus.
I hope your portfolio didnt get hit as hard as mine did today. Fuckin A
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Dow tumbles 1,000 points, S&P 500 posts worst day since 2022 in global market sell-off

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/04/stock-m ... dates.html
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

Did anyone buy on the dip?

I've already maxed my 401k, so I couldn't do anything there. I did buy a small amount of bitcoin last night.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

B-Tender wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:12 pm Did anyone buy on the dip?

I've already maxed my 401k, so I couldn't do anything there. I did buy a small amount of bitcoin last night.
I had an order filled to buy some Main Street Capital (MAIN) that I had completely forgotten about.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:24 pm
B-Tender wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:12 pm Did anyone buy on the dip?

I had an order filled to buy some Main Street Capital (MAIN) that I had completely forgotten about.
:lol: I had that happen many years ago. I had put a Good Til Cancelled order in on some Chuckie Cheese. But it never dipped and just went up. then about 3 years later the market tanked one day and my broker called and said my order filled. It was one of the best purchases I ever had. In hindsight, that might not be a bad strategy. To just put a GTC order for some great stock at some ridiculous price and see what happens. Its impossible to buy on these dips. No one would have bought yesterday at the end of the day. And by morning, before the market opened, they were already projecting half the losses covered so any good stocks would have been way up.

Its great in theory, but it just doesn't work in reality.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:32 am
CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:14 pm Based on QD's clear and concise recommendation here to buy more stock, I'm going to treat this as a buying opportunity. Dont let me down QD!
Just for the record I'm up about 8 bucks per share as of today. Not breaking any records for sure but not bad for taking a flyer on a stock that just caused billions of damage.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:19 pm
QillerDaemon wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:32 am
Just for the record I'm up about 8 bucks per share as of today. Not breaking any records for sure but not bad for taking a flyer on a stock that just caused billions of damage.
I have never seen a worse stock than the one I took the flyer on for this contest. My sister heard about it from "a guy at a party". :lol: the story of how it was supposed to sky rocket is too long to tell, but she has never, ever, had a good stock tip.