LOLZ (NSFW)

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Re: LOLZ (NSFW)

Post by rule34 »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:00 pm
QillerDaemon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:41 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:02 pm Can you imagine the insane cost of setting up just one of those booths. Dig trenches for phone cables, install the booth, guarantee to fix any broken windows. And make a profit off 10 cents a phone call. And somehow figure out how to provide maintenance for each one based on phone calls. Hell, no wonder AT&T's accounting system is still screwed up 50 years later.
It may not have been as bad as all that. Underneath the streets and walkways of many public area is already a plethora of cable pathways for gas, electrical, and phone trunks. A truck is that huge bundle of cable containing hundreds of individual pairs of phone cables. You can often see a local grey trunk access post in front of or beside a building or in neighborhood that represents local access to part of the trunk. Those, the trunks and access posts, I'm sure will disappear as well when we finally get fiber installed everywhere. A small trunk of fiber cabling can handle the traffic of thousands of old phone lines, or even use wireless, and is much easier to maintain than those old massive trunks.

So likely when the phone company wanted to install a new phone booth, they'd locate a trunk pathway and pull a pair or two up through the sidewalk from it. Installed the booth platform, then the phone set and activated the phone line. Even in the 50's Ma Bell had various techniques to locate broken and non-working phone lines with almost GPS accuracy. And don't forget, Bell then and now is practically a government agency with all the subsidies they get from the fed and states. They also have a big hand in writing regulation and policy. A phone booth was likely more a convenience than a profit center.
Yeah, but they installed those from the N. tip at Nome Alaska to the Southern point at Cape West. NE tip of Maine to San Diego plus Hawaii. Not exactly a minor project. And that's just the US.
And the fact that they had to run a separate line just for those phone booths made it an even more daunting task.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:02 pm
QillerDaemon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:29 pm Same with the neighborhood corner mailbox that the local mailman might visit once or twice a day. Now if you need to mail the very occasional stamped envelope, you almost always have to go to an actual post office. And even those are starting to disappear. We don't even get mail pickup at our street-side home mail box anymore.

By the 70's around Houston, telephone booths had practically disappeared on streets. Damn near every drug store had a bank of two or three public phones in a very public bench with both a white and yellow pages phone books. And a huge copy machine.
Can you imagine the insane cost of setting up just one of those booths. Dig trenches for phone cables, install the booth, guarantee to fix any broken windows. And make a profit off 10 cents a phone call. And somehow figure out how to provide maintenance for each one based on phone calls. Hell, no wonder AT&T's accounting system is still screwed up 50 years later.
*50¢
QANON IS JUST SCIENTOLOGY FOR HILLBILLIES
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

rule34 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:38 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:02 pm Can you imagine the insane cost of setting up just one of those booths. Dig trenches for phone cables, install the booth, guarantee to fix any broken windows. And make a profit off 10 cents a phone call. And somehow figure out how to provide maintenance for each one based on phone calls. Hell, no wonder AT&T's accounting system is still screwed up 50 years later.
It may not have been as bad as all that. Underneath the streets and walkways of many public area is already a plethora of cable pathways for gas, electrical, and phone trunks. A truck is that huge bundle of cable containing hundreds of individual pairs of phone cables. You can often see a local grey trunk access post in front of or beside a building or in neighborhood that represents local access to part of the trunk. Those, the trunks and access posts, I'm sure will disappear as well when we finally get fiber installed everywhere. A small trunk of fiber cabling can handle the traffic of thousands of old phone lines, or even use wireless, and is much easier to maintain than those old massive trunks.

So likely when the phone company wanted to install a new phone booth, they'd locate a trunk pathway and pull a pair or two up through the sidewalk from it. Installed the booth platform, then the phone set and activated the phone line. Even in the 50's Ma Bell had various techniques to locate broken and non-working phone lines with almost GPS accuracy. And don't forget, Bell then and now is practically a government agency with all the subsidies they get from the fed and states. They also have a big hand in writing regulation and policy. A phone booth was likely more a convenience than a profit center.
Yeah, but they installed those from the N. tip at Nome Alaska to the Southern point at Cape West. NE tip of Maine to San Diego plus Hawaii. Not exactly a minor project. And that's just the US.
And the fact that they had to run a separate line just for those phone booths made it an even more daunting task.
:lol:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:59 am
rule34 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:38 am

:lol:
Imagine having to run a line for every well head. Must be daunting.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

QillerDaemon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:29 pm Same with the neighborhood corner mailbox that the local mailman might visit once or twice a day. Now if you need to mail the very occasional stamped envelope, you almost always have to go to an actual post office. And even those are starting to disappear. We don't even get mail pickup at our street-side home mail box anymore.

By the 70's around Houston, telephone booths had practically disappeared on streets. Damn near every drug store had a bank of two or three public phones in a very public bench with both a white and yellow pages phone books. And a huge copy machine.
Can you imagine the insane cost of setting up just one of those booths. Dig trenches for phone cables, install the booth, guarantee to fix any broken windows. And make a profit off 10 cents a phone call. And somehow figure out how to provide maintenance for each one based on phone calls. Hell, no wonder AT&T's accounting system is still screwed up 50 years later.
All of these years later, I feel its now safe to admit that I might have contributed to the downfall of the telephone company and their major profit center in those pay phones. We found, through years of careful research, that if you lifted the receiver of a pay phone and dialed the "0" you would get an operator. And then that operator had no way to detect (at the time) that you were on a pay phone. You could then nicely ask that operator if she could connect you to a working phone number and she would do that. Then she would get off the line and the phone would start ringing at where ever you gave her the number and they would answer and you would be talking for free. Free. There was no dime required!!
Homebrew
Actually drinks Natty Lite.

Post by Homebrew »

What if it was one guy with six guns?
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Animal wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:34 pm

All of these years later, I feel its now safe to admit that I might have contributed to the downfall of the telephone company and their major profit center in those pay phones. We found, through years of careful research, that if you lifted the receiver of a pay phone and dialed the "0" you would get an operator. And then that operator had no way to detect (at the time) that you were on a pay phone. You could then nicely ask that operator if she could connect you to a working phone number and she would do that. Then she would get off the line and the phone would start ringing at where ever you gave her the number and they would answer and you would be talking for free. Free. There was no dime required!!
I bet there were all kinds of tricks for those phone booths. But AT&T and the Baby Bells had their own "tricks". Until their breakup in the early 80's, for decades before, if you wanted phone service at a new location, they handed you a phone or phones and you paid $5 a month (or something) on top of the regular monthly fee. Moved into a new place in college with a couple of roommates, one had an extra phone. One time AT&T pinged called wondering why we had an extra phone we weren't paying for. Seemed so George Orwell at the time. :lol: :lol:
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

or waiting until 1 minute after 10 pm to call your parents because the long distance rates went down.
rule34

Post by rule34 »

Animal wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:58 pm or waiting until 1 minute after 10 pm to call your parents because the long distance rates went down.
And all day sunday.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:58 pm or waiting until 1 minute after 10 pm to call your parents because the long distance rates went down.
And God Forbid, anyone called you "collect". JC those rates
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

rule34 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:07 pm
And all day sunday.
lol. yeah, i was thinking that it might have been even cheaper after 10 on Sundays. I don't think I ever talked to my dad while I was in college because he was asleep way before the long distance rates went down.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 pm
And all day sunday.
lol. yeah, i was thinking that it might have been even cheaper after 10 on Sundays. I don't think I ever talked to my dad while I was in college because he was asleep way before the long distance rates went down.
I’d call home, mom will be on one extension, dad would be on another, my brother be on the third and then all would be talking to one another and not to me and it was on my money.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Antknot wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:09 pm
Animal wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 pm
And all day sunday.
I’d call home, mom will be on one extension, dad would be on another, my brother be on the third and then all would be talking to one another and not to me and it was on my money.
So, jut a microcosm of your future life?
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

I remember putzing around in the basement one day when I was about 10 or 11 and noticing some disconnected phone wires up in the ceiling. I remember thinking "I bet thats why that one phone jack upstairs doesnt work." I proceeded to reconnect all the wires and went upstairs and plugged in an old phone we had lying around. Fuck yeah! My mom was so excited that we had another phone to use and thought I was the shit for about a week, like I did something really complicated :lol:
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Homebrew
Actually drinks Natty Lite.

Post by Homebrew »

What if it was one guy with six guns?
jsdspif
Tells *VERY* interesting (but true) stories.

Post by jsdspif »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 pm
back around 94 or 95 my wife used to call me collect from the phillippines.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

jsdspif wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:41 pm
back around 94 or 95 my wife used to call me collect from the phillippines.
Ouch
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

Ricrude
Interests: Drinking, gambling, running around with the wrong crowd, pranks...typical UJ stuff.

Post by Ricrude »

I know!!!! Called mom and dad to get me out of jail for racing...the call was more than the fine...
It is absolutely amazing that some people survive walking out of their homes...fo reelz!
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Ricrude wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:34 pm
I know!!!! Called mom and dad to get me out of jail for racing...the call was more than the fine...
:D :D