Covered Baseball Stadiums

Other people doing actual physical activities

Moderator: hawkfan8812

Animal
The Great Pretender

Covered Baseball Stadiums

Post by Animal »

So, the Rangers just started using their new stadium. And, obviously with it being August they are only playing with the roof closed.

And, the people watching the games are saying that the balls don't "carry" as well with the roof closed. Last night they had the first game with the roof opened, and on the news this morning the people that watched the game said it was a noticeable difference in how far the ball was carrying last night.

So, I was just wondering if this is true with other stadiums around that have roofs? I never heard that about the astrodome in all of the years growing up.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: Covered Baseball Stadiums

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Roof open. Hot air rises...

Just guessing.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

I guess the next question is how many baseball fields have a roof and how often is it closed?
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Cooler air is denser. If that could slow a ball enough is above the math the calculators my phone can do.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Well, turns out someone did the math on this a while ago.

http://bluejayhunter.com/2014/02/the-ro ... effec.html
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

The Astrodome was know as a pitchers park. It was said that the ball didn't carry as well.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:26 pm Well, turns out someone did the math on this a while ago.

http://bluejayhunter.com/2014/02/the-ro ... effec.html
interesting. the guy put a lot of research into that.
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

Arizona has its roof closed much of the season and is known as a hitters park. I think their 1100 elevation aids in the ball carrying further
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

Some places like Colorado and AZ have started putting the balls in humidors to keep them from getting as hard(wow that sounded dirty). AZ has been less of a hitters park since they changed the turf, and ground balls don't go through the infield as quickly.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

B-Tender wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:29 pm The Astrodome was know as a pitchers park. It was said that the ball didn't carry as well.
I think it was cavernous compared to modern parks, which would generally help the defense.

A lot of the modern parks have been described as "band boxes" i.e. they have shorter "porches" (distances to the outfield fences) that make homers easier.
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

FSchmertz wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:36 pm
B-Tender wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:29 pm The Astrodome was know as a pitchers park. It was said that the ball didn't carry as well.
I think it was cavernous compared to modern parks, which would generally help the defense.

It actually wasnt. It did have large foul areas that lead to more outs. Also the ball could be lost in the lights.