Draft Question

Other people doing physical activities

Moderator: hawkfan8812

Animal
The Great Pretender

Draft Question

Post by Animal »

Watching the draft the other night, I noticed that a Wide Receiver from Alabama was drafted at around 5 or 6 by Detroit. Then, several picks later, another Wide Receiver from Alabama was drafted by some team. But the second one drafted was the Heisman winner. How do you have two players on the same team, that play the same position go in backward order of the one that won the Heisman?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: Draft Question

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Actually, 2 wide receivers got drafted ahead of Devonta. Chase went to the Bengals and Waddle went to Miami. (I don't know where you got Detroit from)
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:25 pm Actually, 2 wide receivers got drafted ahead of Devonta. Chase went to the Bengals and Waddle went to Miami. (I don't know where you got Detroit from)
Oh. Yeah, I wasn't taking notes. I just noticed the Alabama wide receiver going high when he got a handshake from the Alabama QB that hadn't been drafted yet. And then when a few picks later they announced the Heisman going and he was also a wide receiver from Alabama, it made me wonder why he won the heisman if there was another reciever on the very same team that was drafted higher (thought to be better, in other words).

Shy did he win the Heisman instead of the other guy(s)?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Teams draft by needs. Miami needed a slot receiver so they drafted the best slot receiver in the draft. Devonta Smith is not a slot receiver.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:50 pm Teams draft by needs. Miami needed a slot receiver so they drafted the best slot receiver in the draft. Devonta Smith is not a slot receiver.
:lol: okay.
spudoc
Most Likely To Have a Neckbeard

Post by spudoc »

Animal wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:43 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:50 pm Teams draft by needs. Miami needed a slot receiver so they drafted the best slot receiver in the draft. Devonta Smith is not a slot receiver.
Are you going for asshole of the year on the board or what? To make things quicker just put down the answer that you want to the question you just asked.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

spudoc wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:13 pm
Animal wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:43 pm
Are you going for asshole of the year on the board or what? To make things quicker just put down the answer that you want to the question you just asked.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Do you think winning the Heisman has a lot to do with success in the NFL?
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Some teams appear to question the durability of the Heisman winner.

He's 6-0, 170lb

I think he's actually less than 170 by his looks.

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

B-Tender wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:10 am Do you think winning the Heisman has a lot to do with success in the NFL?
not really. it just struck me odd to have 2 players on the same team, in the same year, at the same position and one wins the heisman and the other is drafted first.

however, after i posted this i had to do my own research and it turns out that Jaylen Waddle (who was drafted first) went out after 4 or 5 games with a season ending ankle injury this past year. He limped back on the field in the Nat'l Championship game and did pretty well, but he missed a lot of the season. He is considered more of an overall threat than the other guy.

And, as the next post points out, the Heisman guy is a bit skinny for his size and not thought to be the athlete that Waddle is. Waddle actually averaged more yards per catch than the Heisman guy in the few games he played, plus he was a tremendous threat at punt and kick returns.

Nick Saban has way too many advantages.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

FSchmertz wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:26 am Some teams appear to question the durability of the Heisman winner.

He's 6-0, 170lb

To be honest, I was kind of surprised he went in the top 10. I thought he would drop farther than that.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

FSchmertz wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:26 am Some teams appear to question the durability of the Heisman winner.

He's 6-0, 170lb

Yikes. I hope he puts some muscle on.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

What are your thoughts on Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence? I know the guys in the NFL making decisions on this kind of thing are experts, but I just don't get all the mouth watering slobbering this guy gets. Like OP's comments, maybe he's just "made" for the NFL type game. I don't see it myself.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:51 pm What are your thoughts on Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence? I know the guys in the NFL making decisions on this kind of thing are experts, but I just don't get all the mouth watering slobbering this guy gets. Like OP's comments, maybe he's just "made" for the NFL type game. I don't see it myself.
Undefeated and National Champion his freshman year. His first loss came in the Nat'l championship game against LSU his sophomore year. And his only other loss ever in college came against Ohio State in the College football playoffs. That's pretty good for 3 years. Plus he is 6'-6". Other than a heisman, there isn't much he didn't accomplish.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:00 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:51 pm What are your thoughts on Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence? I know the guys in the NFL making decisions on this kind of thing are experts, but I just don't get all the mouth watering slobbering this guy gets. Like OP's comments, maybe he's just "made" for the NFL type game. I don't see it myself.
Undefeated and National Champion his freshman year. His first loss came in the Nat'l championship game against LSU his sophomore year. And his only other loss ever in college came against Ohio State in the College football playoffs. That's pretty good for 3 years. Plus he is 6'-6". Other than a heisman, there isn't much he didn't accomplish.
Yeah, like I said those guys in the NFL know their stuff. But watching him in this last championship game, just looked ordinary at best. I guess 1 or several games doesn't tell you anything about how a QB will perform over an NFL career. See Brady.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:45 pm
Yeah, like I said those guys in the NFL know their stuff. But watching him in this last championship game, just looked ordinary at best. I guess 1 or several games doesn't tell you anything about how a QB will perform over an NFL career. See Brady.
Eh, all I kept hearing is he's the best "they've" seen since Andrew Luck. Supposedly by professionals that determine these things.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

FSchmertz wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:33 am
Eh, all I kept hearing is he's the best "they've" seen since Andrew Luck. Supposedly by professionals that determine these things.
I get it. Trying to find the next "superstar" in any position whether it's QB, Running back, WR whatever is a crap shoot in the NFL. One massive injury on one particular day could end careers. So, let's get's go with the tall skinny white guy with the stringy long blond hair? Sounds like a solid scout effort to me. What do I know?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

In that vein, I remember RG3 wowing the football world. I also remember watching the game live when his career ended. Knee injury. Not from the sides, not from the front, but his knee was forced forward toward his head at near 45 degrees. Knees don't do that. Career over. You can scout report until the end of time all you want. You can't predict that.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:00 am In that vein, I remember RG3 wowing the football world. I also remember watching the game live when his career ended. Knee injury. Not from the sides, not from the front, but his knee was forced forward toward his head at near 45 degrees. Knees don't do that. Career over. You can scout report until the end of time all you want. You can't predict that.
RG3 is still in football and has played for the Baltimore Ravens for the last 3 years.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:45 am
I get it. Trying to find the next "superstar" in any position whether it's QB, Running back, WR whatever is a crap shoot in the NFL. One massive injury on one particular day could end careers. So, let's get's go with the tall skinny white guy with the stringy long blond hair? Sounds like a solid scout effort to me. What do I know?
tall skinny white guy with the stringy long blond hair
Apparently he's pretty big for a QB. They keep comparing him to Roethlisberger.
FSchmertz

Post by FSchmertz »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:00 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:00 am In that vein, I remember RG3 wowing the football world. I also remember watching the game live when his career ended. Knee injury. Not from the sides, not from the front, but his knee was forced forward toward his head at near 45 degrees. Knees don't do that. Career over. You can scout report until the end of time all you want. You can't predict that.
RG3 is still in football and has played for the Baltimore Ravens for the last 3 years.
And it was the idea place for him, since he's still a mobile QB ala Jackson, so they don't have to change the offense if he plays.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:45 am
Yeah, they rolled the dice on the best quarterback in college football. maybe they will get lucky.