Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!
Post Reply
User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#1

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Scheduled for next month- December 18th. Replacement for Hubble. Good news-absolute light years beyond in technology not available when Hubble was conceived. Has to be kept super cold, so unlike Hubble that orbits the Earth in UEO it will be orbiting the Sun in deep space. Unbelievable top line technologies- 6X's Hubble's imaging mirror, tech allowing low frequency ranges not available in Hubble, Probable half century life span, maybe even see back to the Big Bang once the kinks are worked out. Bad news- Typical government NASA BS- Conceived mid 1990's. Original estimate- $500 million with a launch in 2007. Reality- $10 Billion launched 14 years late. Technical problems, loss of the shuttles etc. If Hubble rocked the World, the James Webb should be unbelievable on what they are about to explore and show.
Image
User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#2

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Image
User avatar
Animal
The Great Pretender
Posts: 21978
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#3

Post by Animal »

holy fuck. its going to orbit the sun? how often will it come close to earth? what do they do in case of repairs or replacement parts, etc? And how long will it take to send back information?
User avatar
Animal
The Great Pretender
Posts: 21978
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#4

Post by Animal »

Jesus. This is a mammoth project.

Image
User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#5

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:37 am holy fuck. its going to orbit the sun? how often will it come close to earth? what do they do in case of repairs or replacement parts, etc? And how long will it take to send back information?
Hell if I know
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché
Posts: 5699
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#6

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:37 am holy fuck. its going to orbit the sun? how often will it come close to earth? what do they do in case of repairs or replacement parts, etc? And how long will it take to send back information?
It's a little over 8 minutes from the sun to the Earth. So assuming a Lagrange point in eatrth orbit less than 16 minutes. A Lagrange point orbit would be easy to get to.

L2 Lagrange point

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/fe ... bb-l2.html
Last edited by Antknot on Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#7

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:41 am Jesus. This is a mammoth project.

Image
And here we go. :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Animal
The Great Pretender
Posts: 21978
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#8

Post by Animal »

Antknot wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:44 am
Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:37 am holy fuck. its going to orbit the sun? how often will it come close to earth? what do they do in case of repairs or replacement parts, etc? And how long will it take to send back information?
It's a little over 8 mom from the sun to the Earth. So assuming a Lagrange point in eatrth orbit less than 16 minutes. A Lagrange point orbit would be easy to get to.
you are going to have to dumb that way down.
User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#9

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:46 am
Antknot wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:44 am
Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:37 am holy fuck. its going to orbit the sun? how often will it come close to earth? what do they do in case of repairs or replacement parts, etc? And how long will it take to send back information?
It's a little over 8 mom from the sun to the Earth. So assuming a Lagrange point in eatrth orbit less than 16 minutes. A Lagrange point orbit would be easy to get to.
you are going to have to dumb that way down.
18,000,647,352 dump trucks equivalent.
User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#10

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Image
User avatar
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:41 pm
Location: Looking for Dave

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#11

Post by stonedmegman »

Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:46 am
Antknot wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:44 am
Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:37 am holy fuck. its going to orbit the sun? how often will it come close to earth? what do they do in case of repairs or replacement parts, etc? And how long will it take to send back information?
It's a little over 8 mom from the sun to the Earth. So assuming a Lagrange point in eatrth orbit less than 16 minutes. A Lagrange point orbit would be easy to get to.
you are going to have to dumb that way down.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:50 am
Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:46 am
Antknot wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:44 am
Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:37 am holy fuck. its going to orbit the sun? how often will it come close to earth? what do they do in case of repairs or replacement parts, etc? And how long will it take to send back information?
It's a little over 8 mom from the sun to the Earth. So assuming a Lagrange point in eatrth orbit less than 16 minutes. A Lagrange point orbit would be easy to get to.
you are going to have to dumb that way down.
18,000,647,352 dump trucks equivalent.
Be careful what you ask for....
YOU ANNOY ME, THEREFORE I EXIST
User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#12

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Size perspective
Image
User avatar
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy
Posts: 12853
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 pm
Location: Port St Lucie former Dirty Jerzey

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#13

Post by Stapes »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:19 pm Size perspective
Image
I wonder how many boxes of Reynolds Wrap that took
I blame Biker.
User avatar
Animal
The Great Pretender
Posts: 21978
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#14

Post by Animal »

Stapes wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:32 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:19 pm Size perspective
Image
I wonder how many boxes of Reynolds Wrap that took
i am trying to wrap my head around how this is all going to work. first they have to put all of that (in the picture) into some kind of a rocket. Then that rocket has to open a cargo bay big enough to push that shit outside. Then that stuff has to have its own rockets in order to fly itself way the fuck out there to get to its orbit spot.

Why aren't there entire tv shows explaining how this is all going to work?
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché
Posts: 5699
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#15

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:20 pm
Stapes wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:32 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:19 pm Size perspective
Image
I wonder how many boxes of Reynolds Wrap that took
i am trying to wrap my head around how this is all going to work. first they have to put all of that (in the picture) into some kind of a rocket. Then that rocket has to open a cargo bay big enough to push that shit outside. Then that stuff has to have its own rockets in order to fly itself way the fuck out there to get to its orbit spot.

Why aren't there entire tv shows explaining how this is all going to work?
www.NASA.GOV

It folds to fit in the rocket. It unfolds (hopefully) in space.

It probably has a rocket motor to get it into its orbit that will be discarded.

It will have station keeping rocket motors to keep it in orbit and to aim it to where they want.

If you are old enough to remember SkyLab they had a problem with their solar panels not deploying due to a strap getting tangled (IIRC)
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché
Posts: 5699
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#16

Post by Antknot »

User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#17

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

What antknot said
User avatar
Animal
The Great Pretender
Posts: 21978
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#18

Post by Animal »

i counted about 3 different things that look like something could go wrong.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché
Posts: 5699
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:30 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#19

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:12 pm i counted about 3 different things that look like something could go wrong.
Slacker. I’ll name three at take off 1. Blows up on pad. 2. Launches but doesn’t get to low earth orbit. 3. Launches and gets to orbit but doesn’t get released.
User avatar
Animal
The Great Pretender
Posts: 21978
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#20

Post by Animal »

Antknot wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:05 pm
Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:12 pm i counted about 3 different things that look like something could go wrong.
Slacker. I’ll name three at take off 1. Blows up on pad. 2. Launches but doesn’t get to low earth orbit. 3. Launches and gets to orbit but doesn’t get released.
ok. i might have been joking a bit. All I could think about watching those videos of how it has to unfold itself was thinking about potential problems. any one of which would seem to side track the entire mission. But, they pulled off all of that shit on the mars one not long ago. this son of a bitch just looks so big and flimsy. its like folding a fitted sheet with a backward remote control while someone else relays the instructions. blindfolded.
User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#21

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:12 pm
Antknot wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:05 pm
Animal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:12 pm i counted about 3 different things that look like something could go wrong.
Slacker. I’ll name three at take off 1. Blows up on pad. 2. Launches but doesn’t get to low earth orbit. 3. Launches and gets to orbit but doesn’t get released.
ok. i might have been joking a bit. All I could think about watching those videos of how it has to unfold itself was thinking about potential problems. any one of which would seem to side track the entire mission. But, they pulled off all of that shit on the mars one not long ago. this son of a bitch just looks so big and flimsy. its like folding a fitted sheet with a backward remote control while someone else relays the instructions. blindfolded.
Anything can wrong with missions/ launches. But I'm pretty confident for several reason. First, after the Hubble screw-up with the main mirror, no way this one has the same problem. Hubble was a rush job from the assembly plant. Second, they've had 14 years delay to test/ retest every single component 100's of times. Only problem is always the launch.
User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#22

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Hubble vs James Webb
Image
Image
User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#23

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

From what I've read, the most important part of the whole thing (bottom illustration) is the sunshade bottom right. Without it, the whole thing wouldn't work. Because of the tech involved, it has to be kept at absolute zero K.
User avatar
CentralTexasCrude
Females scare me
Posts: 5835
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#24

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Launch scheduled Christmas morning at 6:20 AM CST from French Guiana.
User avatar
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Posts: 10776
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:32 pm
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

#25

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:01 pm Launch scheduled Christmas morning at 6:20 AM CST from French Guiana.
The lead will fly!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Post Reply