Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: Finally- Next Gen James Webb Telescope set for launch

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:08 pm
stonedmegman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:00 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:56 pm I'll say it again. Everybody is focusing on the "orbit". It's because everybody is used to everything like satellites, shuttles, SSI and support missions that being critical. Jw will be at 3× moon distance. Yes it will be orbiting the Earth with everything orbiting the Sun. Irrelevant. It's mission has no bearing on anything to do with it's orbit. Would not be surprised if they tried to figure once it went dead in a few decades, how long it would take for It's orbit to decay and burn up in the Earth's atmosphere they came up with millions of years
Sooo, how do you keep the Earth between the telescope and the Sun?

And FTR, I'm starting to think you need to get your water tested.
"How do you keep the Earth between the telescope and the Sun?". I don't even know what that means. Freeze dried brain I guess. Why is the Sun even being mentioned?
Because the telescope will be orbiting the sun, not the Earth.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

stonedmegman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:23 pm
Antknot wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:21 pm
stonedmegman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:07 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:00 pm
stonedmegman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:55 pm
Animal wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:34 pm

its heading away from the sun.
Towards the Sun, away from the Sun, it doesn't matter. You just can't run it out and put on the brakes effectively. You haven't got a planet or moon to slingshot around to create drag and slow it down. You have to kind of slide it into the slot gently.
Uh, no. There is no slot. There is no orbit to worry about. See my post above
The Earth orbits the Sun. This thing is going to be ORBITING the Sun at a rate slightly faster than Earth to keep it there.

What will happen to that orbit if you just run it out and park it? You have to establish an orbit or otherwise it won't be sitting where it's suppose to for very long because the Earth will orbit without it.

It's not rocket science....
Not higher rate. same rate at a location the Earth hasn’t reached yet. Research LaGrangevpoints. L2 specifically.
The further out you go the longer the orbit. It would fall behind the Earth if it wasn't slightly faster.
It's in the same orbit around the SUN as Earth. Thus the same orbital velocity. It is getting further away from the Earth currently till it get to it's LaGrange point. Then orbital mechanics ( that takes more math than i currently rememberr to describe) takes over and helps keep it in a stable orbit around the Sun. Once it gats to L2 it's distance from Earth will be fairly stable.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:13 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:08 pm
stonedmegman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:00 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:56 pm I'll say it again. Everybody is focusing on the "orbit". It's because everybody is used to everything like satellites, shuttles, SSI and support missions that being critical. Jw will be at 3× moon distance. Yes it will be orbiting the Earth with everything orbiting the Sun. Irrelevant. It's mission has no bearing on anything to do with it's orbit. Would not be surprised if they tried to figure once it went dead in a few decades, how long it would take for It's orbit to decay and burn up in the Earth's atmosphere they came up with millions of years
Sooo, how do you keep the Earth between the telescope and the Sun?

And FTR, I'm starting to think you need to get your water tested.
"How do you keep the Earth between the telescope and the Sun?". I don't even know what that means. Freeze dried brain I guess. Why is the Sun even being mentioned?
Because the telescope will be orbiting the sun, not the Earth.
He's stuck in the 17th century. He hasn't gotten the updated Encyclopedia Galactica.
QANON IS JUST SCIENTOLOGY FOR HILLBILLIES
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Antknot wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:14 pm
stonedmegman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:55 pm
Towards the Sun, away from the Sun, it doesn't matter. You just can't run it out and put on the brakes effectively. You haven't got a planet or moon to slingshot around to create drag and slow it down. You have to kind of slide it into the slot gently.
The Earth orbits the Sun. This thing is going to be ORBITING the Sun at a rate slightly faster than Earth to keep it there.

What will happen to that orbit if you just run it out and park it? You have to establish an orbit or otherwise it won't be sitting where it's suppose to for very long because the Earth will orbit without it.

Not higher rate. same rate at a location the Earth hasn’t reached yet. Research LaGrangevpoints. L2 specifically.
The further out you go the longer the orbit. It would fall behind the Earth if it wasn't slightly faster.
It's in the same orbit around the SUN as Earth. Thus the same orbital velocity. It is getting further away from the Earth currently till it get to it's LaGrange point. Then orbital mechanics ( that takes more math than i currently rememberr to describe) takes over and helps keep it in a stable orbit around the Sun. Once it gats to L2 it's distance from Earth will be fairly stable.
Sorry, Antknot. It looks like we will have to wait to post later when amateur hour is over.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:27 pm

Sorry, Antknot. It looks like we will have to wait to post later when amateur hour is over.
Have you been told yet today space cadet?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

The graduates of the Canadian Space program are world renowned. Experts everyone. :roll: I blame the brownies
Last edited by CentralTexasCrude on Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:56 pm Yes it will be orbiting the Earth
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:33 pm The graduates of the Canadian Space program are world renowned. Experts everyone. :roll: I blame the brownies
Says the self-proclaimed expert.

I guess we can just lock this thread down now that you have all the answers.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:08 pm Why is the Sun even being mentioned?
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:38 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:08 pm Why is the Sun even being mentioned?
Calling him a half wit would be extremely generous. 8-)
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

stonedmegman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:45 pm
Sunday funday !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:49 pm
He's like a glow stick.

You want to snap him and shake him until the light comes on.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

look, you fucking moron. James Webb will not be orbiting the earth (llke the moon does). It will be orbiting the sun (like mars does).
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Antknot wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:14 pm It's in the same orbit around the SUN as Earth. Thus the same orbital velocity. It is getting further away from the Earth currently till it get to it's LaGrange point. Then orbital mechanics ( that takes more math than i currently rememberr to describe) takes over and helps keep it in a stable orbit around the Sun. Once it gats to L2 it's distance from Earth will be fairly stable.
let me frame this like a total dumbass so that i can understand it.

If Pluto could orbit the earth in one year (the same as earth), then would it be orbiting at the same "orbital velocity" as earth?
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

We? Don't include me in your illusion.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Antknot wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:00 am

We? Don't include me in your delusion.
FTFY
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

stonedmegman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:55 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:49 pm
He's like a glow stick.

You want to snap him and shake him until the light comes on.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

:lol:
Animal wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:56 pm look, you fucking moron. James Webb will not be orbiting the earth (llke the moon does). It will be orbiting the sun (like mars does).
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:59 pm
Antknot wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:14 pm It's in the same orbit around the SUN as Earth. Thus the same orbital velocity. It is getting further away from the Earth currently till it get to it's LaGrange point. Then orbital mechanics ( that takes more math than i currently rememberr to describe) takes over and helps keep it in a stable orbit around the Sun. Once it gats to L2 it's distance from Earth will be fairly stable.

If Pluto could orbit the earth in one year (the same as earth), then would it be orbiting at the same "orbital velocity" as earth?
I'm guessing you meant "If Pluto could orbit the Sun in one year (the same as Earth)"
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:59 am

I'm guessing you meant "If Pluto could orbit the Sun in one year (the same as Earth)"
yes. i misstyped.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:01 am

yes. i misstyped.
I had to Google "orbit velocity". Sounds pretty complicated because the mass of the planet is involved. If you are asking if Pluto (even at that distance) could orbit the Sun, same as the Earth- in 1 solar year, the answer would be no. When the Sun formed and started the solar system accrediation (If that is the right word)- rotating allowing the planets to form it was rotating at a set speed. So you didn't have some outer planet flying along at some massive speed. I hope that makes sense because I seem to be having a hard time doing that tonight.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:03 am

yes. i misstyped.
I had to Google "orbit velocity". Sounds pretty complicated because the mass of the planet is involved. If you are asking if Pluto (even at that distance) could orbit the Sun, same as the Earth- in 1 solar year, the answer would be no. When the Sun formed and started the solar system accrediation (If that is the right word)- rotating allowing the planets to form it was rotating at a set speed. So you didn't have some outer planet flying along at some massive speed. I hope that makes sense because I seem to be having a hard time doing that.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

yes. i misstyped.
I had to Google "orbit velocity". Sounds pretty complicated because the mass of the planet is involved. If you are asking if Pluto (even at that distance) could orbit the Sun, same as the Earth- in 1 solar year, the answer would be no. When the Sun formed and started the solar system accrediation (If that is the right word)- rotating allowing the planets to form it was rotating at a set speed. So you didn't have some outer planet flying along at some massive speed. I hope that makes sense because I seem to be having a hard time doing that tonight.
i wasn't asking if it was possible, i was asking if that still fit his definition of orbit velocity.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:54 pm

yes. i misstyped.
i wasn't asking if it was possible, i was asking if that still fit his definition of orbit velocity.
In very general terms the distance the Earth orbits the Sun determines its speed. To move further away you increase speed, to move closer you reduce speed. Think of the change in the distance traveled (circumference of a circle).