Really Hard Trivia

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Really Hard Trivia

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:37 am Boy, you have been hitting Google hard tonight. What am I, a chemist?
i had to learn all about water molecules and their chemical attractions when studying lime stabilization. (I could teach a class in lime stabilization) the crazy magnetic properties of water are why clay expands so much when it encounters water. and its why lime is used to stabilize clay so that the little water magnets aren't attracted to the clay anymore. If I googled it, i would know the right terms to use.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Hey, I'm asking the questions around here. The basic properties of the atom were "discovered" by Rutherford in the late 1800's. Took a few decades to figure out the Proton, Neutron and later the electron. Since they couldn't see it, they tried to describe what it would look like. The solar system model was the favorite. Proton, Neutron with the electrons orbiting around like planets.Now they know that's wrong. If you could "see" an atom with a higher atomic number, what would it look like?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:48 am Image
Yes sir. They thought the electrons were like planets orbiting the Sun. They are actually like clouds covering the whole atom- at least in the ones with higher atomic numbers.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:58 pm
Yes sir. They thought the electrons were like planets orbiting the Sun. They are actually like clouds covering the whole atom- at least in the ones with higher atomic numbers.
s, p, d, f electron orbitals
https://socratic.org/chemistry/the-elec ... -spd-and-f
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Antknot wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:58 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:58 pm
s, p, d, f electron orbitals
https://socratic.org/chemistry/the-elec ... -spd-and-f
Very cool, Antknot. Thanks for that. Read something interesting. We know pretty much everything "Big". Newton's laws, Einstein's Relativity, gravity, light speed, tons of others. "Small" is totally different. It acts in ways they can't explain. It's why they have atom smashers/colliders trying to figure out Quarks, Bosuns etc. For example, an electron in one of the orbits you mention will start spinning at a constant speed clockwise for some reason. On a size scale, that's like a baseball on Mercury. For reasons that they have no idea why, another electron in another orbit the size of a baseball on Neptune will "know" this and start spinning at the same speed counter-clockwise. String theory, multi-dimensional Universes. I don't anything about these but I wish I did.
Bluespruce1964
Tomorrow's Best Poster
Interests: boating, fishing, dating, travel, music, trivia, crossword puzzles, coffee, reading, photography, swimming, grilling, smoking, building

Post by Bluespruce1964 »

Which state has the largest county in the US?

What is the largest county in the US?

Which state doesn't have counties?

Which state has the most counties?

Which state has 99 counties, but up until the 1980's had 100 county seats?
I'm up early.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

Bluespruce1964 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:48 pm Which state has the largest county in the US?

Iowa on the last one, I don't remember the county but I know it was the state of Iowa.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
Bluespruce1964
Tomorrow's Best Poster
Interests: boating, fishing, dating, travel, music, trivia, crossword puzzles, coffee, reading, photography, swimming, grilling, smoking, building

Post by Bluespruce1964 »

Iowa is the state with 99 counties. Lee county had two county seats - fort madison and keokuk.
I'm up early.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Bluespruce1964 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:48 pm Which state doesn't have counties?
Louisiana has parishes, not counties. It's also the only state that uses civil law based on Roman (Spanish and French) law codes, not on common English law.

Florida started with only two counties, Escambia and St Johns, which are now two of its smallest counties. My own county, Orange, used to be known as Mosquito County.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Bluespruce1964 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:48 pm Which state has the largest county in the US?

I think Texas has the most counties. 340 or something. Largest county?- California? No counties? Louisiana and Alaska, Parishes and Boroughs. Yes I Googled since everybody else seems to.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:56 am

I think Texas has the most counties. 340 or something. Largest county?- California? No counties? Louisiana and Alaska, Parishes and Boroughs. Yes I Googled since everybody else seems to.
I didn't.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Texas has 254 counties. i remember that from those endless Beto ads a few years ago about him and his fucking pickup truck.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:50 am

Texas has 254 counties. i remember that from those endless Beto ads a few years ago about him and his fucking pickup truck.
He actually showed for a campaign rally in Iraan. I was pretty impressed. Has to be the only Senate candidate there ever. Sadly, I heard his skateboard tricks portion didn't go so well.