green lip mussels?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

jsdspif
Tells *VERY* interesting (but true) stories.

green lip mussels?

Post by jsdspif »

anybody ever eat these? Just when i said I don't eat expensive stuff...my son,sister and I are going to the local italian place tonight,they've got pretty good food,been in business about 100 years ,literraly (sp?) but they're about $20 and I'm cheap. They're in some sort of garlic something or other sauce. I think my sister is allergic to them so she probably wouldn't want to try them. I just emailed my son,he may have had them. I was thinking of trying them and we all could try them,but my sister is questionable,I thought she told me she was allergic to shellfish. So,if you've had them are they comparable to something? I eat clam strips,and I've had calimari a few times,the breaded fried kind (or is that the way it all is?),shrimp,lobster not much fish though so don't say it's alot like grouper,or what ever because my fish is pretty much arbys fish sandwich. That is all.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Re: green lip mussels?

Post by Burn1dwn »

Mussels just taste like whatever they are served in and have the texture of wet rubber cement. So it might remind you of eating glue in elementary school.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Burn1dwn wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:44 pm Mussels just taste like whatever they are served in and have the texture of RE-WETTED rubber cement. So it might remind you of eating glue in elementary school.
This is what I really meant.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

Burn1dwn wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:44 pm Mussels just taste like whatever they are served in and have the texture of wet rubber cement. So it might remind you of eating glue in elementary school.
It's hard to do them right but they're tender if steamed properly. But yeah it's all about the sauce, they're not the star of the show
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Yeah. I probably overcook mine or they are too small. The ones I ate in a Seafood Boil last week were huge. Probably averaged 2-3 inches in length (the actual mussel). Shells were up to 5-6 inches. Seems like the closer you get to where it attaches to the shell, the less tender they get. Which makes sense.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Mussels and clams are to flavor the steaming sauce, not the other way around. By themselves, their flavor isn't much. But once they're steamed in (say...) a nice steaming sauce of butter, garlic, shallots, and white wine, along with a fat loaf of good soft bread...

:chefskiss:
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

QillerDaemon wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:26 pm Mussels and clams are to flavor the steaming sauce, not the other way around. By themselves, their flavor isn't much. But once they're steamed in (say...) a nice steaming sauce of butter, garlic, shallots, and white wine, along with a fat loaf of good soft bread...

Same with escargot.
QANON IS JUST SCIENTOLOGY FOR HILLBILLIES
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

Guh-ross.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

QillerDaemon wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:26 pm Mussels and clams are to flavor the steaming sauce, not the other way around. By themselves, their flavor isn't much. But once they're steamed in (say...) a nice steaming sauce of butter, garlic, shallots, and white wine, along with a fat loaf of good soft bread...

So kind of like carp. Put the carp on a shingle and cook it. Throw away the carp and eat the shingle.
The closest I come to seafood is rocky mountain oysters.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Maybe you have a food allergy to seafood, you should have that looked at by a competent physician.

Happily, I have no food allergies (except to yellow corn... :tolietcrapper: ), and if I couldn't shove seafood down my pie-hole, I don't think life would be worth living.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

No food allergy, just a location problem. Fresh seafood is hard to come by in the middle of the US.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

rule34 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:12 pm No food allergy, just a location problem. Fresh seafood is hard to come by in the middle of the US.
Truff!!!

I spent 4 years in Central America and Mexico. In Puerto Escondido MX I use to meet the fishing boats as they came in. A good size Yellow fin Tuna for 50 Pesos. Equivalent of $5 US at the time. Sometimes it had to be hit with a bat because it was still moving.

I walk into a seafood store up here and I gag.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

stonedmegman wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:38 pm
rule34 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:12 pm No food allergy, just a location problem. Fresh seafood is hard to come by in the middle of the US.
Truff!!!

I spent 4 years in Central America and Mexico. In Puerto Escondido MX I use to meet the fishing boats as they came in. A good size Yellow fin Tuna for 50 Pesos. Equivalent of $5 US at the time. Sometimes it had to be hit with a bat because it was still moving.

I bet the trout, bass, pike and walleye you get is second to none.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:07 pm
Truff!!!

It is. I live in the middle of 600 lakes.

Lots of Muskie around too if you want a fight.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

stonedmegman wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:14 pm
Truff!!!

What have you got in that lake outside your back door?
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:18 pm
Truff!!!

Mostly Largemouth bass, Smallmouth bass, and Lake trout.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

stonedmegman wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:27 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:18 pm
Truff!!!

Mostly Largemouth bass, Smallmouth bass, and Lake trout.
Sweet! A 30 second walk to a fishing lake. Livin' large, bro!
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

Lake Michigan fish come preseasoned. But Culver's walleye sandwiches are fucking bomb
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

Burn1dwn wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:50 pm Yeah. I probably overcook mine or they are too small. The ones I ate in a Seafood Boil last week were huge. Probably averaged 2-3 inches in length (the actual mussel). Shells were up to 5-6 inches. Seems like the closer you get to where it attaches to the shell, the less tender they get. Which makes sense.
Anyone else amused that this dude thinks 2-3 inches is "huge"? I feel bad for his boyfriend.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden