Convert Antique Wood Ice Box to a Refrigerator

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Convert Antique Wood Ice Box to a Refrigerator

Post by Animal »

Now, this seems simple enough. But, all I can seem to find are instructions for doing it on a boat. Which means DC or battery current for the power.

I found an old wooden ice box, from around 1920. Its in really good shape. I was wondering how difficult it would be to convert it into a working refrigerator that plugs into the wall. I have yet to find one example of someone that has done that, but I find hundreds of how to guides on doing it on a boat. So, would I just go that route and buy a 110v --> 12 v dc adapter to power it?

This isn't it, but similar:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/isotherm ... --12731683
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Re: Convert Antique Wood Ice Box to a Refrigerator

Post by hawkfan8812 »

...then throw the sweet potatoes away and eat the graham crackers.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

Cut it apart, 4 sides a top and a bottom. Screw them to the outside of a regular fridge.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

You could make a great humidor out of that thing.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

1. Contact the folks that make the kit and ask if the make a 120. Opt AC version.

2. Make your own kit from parts from a fridge. The parts shown look like the insides of one of thos small dorm fridges.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Antknot wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:40 pm 1. Contact the folks that make the kit and ask if the make a 120. Opt AC version.

2. Make your own kit from parts from a fridge. The parts shown look like the insides of one of thos small dorm fridges.
yeah, i think the link i posted is a kit to cool around 5.3 cubic feet. I have no idea how many cubic feet this old box is. I would guess maybe 2x that? I think you are right that I should just email the company and ask one of them. I can't believe there are so many people that do this for boats and no one does it for electric in a house. I thought I would find dozens of youtube vids of guys doing it.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Animal wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:16 pm
Antknot wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:40 pm 1. Contact the folks that make the kit and ask if the make a 120. Opt AC version.

yeah, i think the link i posted is a kit to cool around 5.3 cubic feet. I have no idea how many cubic feet this old box is. I would guess maybe 2x that? I think you are right that I should just email the company and ask one of them. I can't believe there are so many people that do this for boats and no one does it for electric in a house. I thought I would find dozens of youtube vids of guys doing it.
Quit searching youtude for "oiled up old men"
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:50 pm

He's just doing a vanity search.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:16 pm I thought I would find dozens of youtube vids of guys doing it.
:eek:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:50 pm

:D
Bluespruce1964
Tomorrow's Best Poster
Interests: boating, fishing, dating, travel, music, trivia, crossword puzzles, coffee, reading, photography, swimming, grilling, smoking, building

Post by Bluespruce1964 »

you could watch all 41 minutes of this you tube video, or look at the link below.

https://www.luckybelly.com/how-to-make-a-refrigerator/
I'm up early.