The FDA caused the Baby Formula Shortage

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

Animal
The Great Pretender

The FDA caused the Baby Formula Shortage

Post by Animal »

It seems that there are only 3 big producers of baby formula in the US. One is Abbott Labs. Its kind of a long story, but Abbott labs voluntarily shut down its production in February so the FDA could conduct an inspection of the labs. And that has taken forever. They are still not producing formula. So, with supply chain issues hurting the other two remaining producers, they can't keep up with demand.

Thanks Brandon.
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast
Interests: Breasts

Re: The FDA caused the Baby Formula Shortage

Post by Who »

If only there were a thing called google so we could research
A Legend In His Own Mind

All Posts Fair & Balanced
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

I am close to this situation. I actually know people that work for the FDA and were in that plant and why it was shut down.

The closing of the facility may be "voluntary" but lets just say its the kind of "voluntary" shut down down that if it didnt happen would have been forced on the company anyway. Long story short they failed on some pretty major inspection points. Regardless of what you may or may not read or see elsewhere this is what a person directly involved with the actual FDA inspection told me. Abbott and the FDA both want this back up but the FDA is (rightfully) insisting on the correction(s) and wont short cut it.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:05 pm I am close to this situation. I actually know people that work for the FDA and were in that plant and why it was shut down.

The closing of the facility may be "voluntary" but lets just say its the kind of "voluntary" shut down down that if it didnt happen would have been forced on the company anyway. Long story short they failed on some pretty major inspection points. Regardless of what you may or may not read or see elsewhere this is what a person directly involved with the actual FDA inspection told me. Abbott and the FDA both want this back up but the FDA is (rightfully) insisting on the correction(s) and wont short cut it.
it is taking much too long to resolve this. this isn't being expedited and i understand safety and all, but this is too long.
JackCoughsALot
the "edgy" one

Post by JackCoughsALot »

a recent Joe Rogan podcast had a guy on and they were talking about all the crap that makes its way into baby formula. It really should be a last resort.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

FDA and Abbott reach deal to reopen shuttered infant formula plant
The Biden administration also released plans to ease strict import rules on infant formula from overseas amid shortages.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/1 ... t-00032829
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

JackCoughsALot wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:16 am a recent Joe Rogan podcast had a guy on and they were talking about all the crap that makes its way into baby formula. It really should be a last resort.
That settles it. I won't get any.
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:08 am FDA and Abbott reach deal to reopen shuttered infant formula plant
The Biden administration also released plans to ease strict import rules on infant formula from overseas amid shortages.
i saw this today. i knew if someone lit a fire under some asses they could get this worked out. the problems they had with the formula had nothing to do with anything the FDA found in their inspections. they found unrelated issues. issues, still, that needed to be corrected, but this was a few days problem not months like it ended up.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Animal wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:25 am
CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:08 am FDA and Abbott reach deal to reopen shuttered infant formula plant
i saw this today. i knew if someone lit a fire under some asses they could get this worked out. the problems they had with the formula had nothing to do with anything the FDA found in their inspections. they found unrelated issues. issues, still, that needed to be corrected, but this was a few days problem not months like it ended up.
I wont comment on the above statement.
Literally one of the inspecting FDA agents is close with my family.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:37 am
i don't doubt you know much more about it than i do. i only know what i have read. and that was that some kids died and some kind of bacteria was found in them. abbott shut down the plant, the fda came in to look for that bacteria and never could find it. but they found a few other things on surfaces that might be problems and then it kind of stalled. even if they approve it to reopen (which sounds like happened today), they said it could be 6 weeks before its actually cranking stuff out again.

i just know in my business, when the safety guys move in you are fucked for a long ass time while they drag ass around. its easier all the way around to just cut bait and go back to fishing, no matter the cost.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:50 am
CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:37 am
i don't doubt you know much more about it than i do. i only know what i have read. and that was that some kids died and some kind of bacteria was found in them. abbott shut down the plant, the fda came in to look for that bacteria and never could find it. but they found a few other things on surfaces that might be problems and then it kind of stalled. even if they approve it to reopen (which sounds like happened today), they said it could be 6 weeks before its actually cranking stuff out again.

i just know in my business, when the safety guys move in you are fucked for a long ass time while they drag ass around. its easier all the way around to just cut bait and go back to fishing, no matter the cost.
FDA inspections were held in January, February, and March.
The FDA found Cronobacter sakazakii bacteria.
It was Abbott that dragged its ass getting the plant reopened.
FDA's review of Abbott records found that Abbott had detected Cronobacter bacteria in finished batches of formula produced in 2019 and 2020 and Abbott did nothing about it.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

As much as I'd like to blame the FDA it sounds like it's mostly Abbott's fault. They just didn't have the bacteria that was involved in the kids deaths. That doesn't mean they were in the clear.
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

It's easier to blame Biden instead of faceless corporate greed.

Well done folks.
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

saltydog wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:49 pm It's easier to blame Biden instead of faceless corporate greed.

Well done folks.
i never mentioned biden. biden can't handle his own job much less that of a department that he probably doesn't even remember what they do.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

She blames Biden. Which is silly. All he’s doing is watching Murder She Wrote while former Obama operatives run the show. Still, I would smash that

A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

saltydog wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:49 pm It's easier to blame Biden instead of faceless corporate greed.

Well done folks.
The FDA is under Biden's purview. The FDA shutdown the Abbott plants. Shutdown will mean no more product being produced. The FDA did not make arrangements for a shortage that they knew was coming.

You tell me who is at fault here
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Biker wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:54 pm

Well done folks.
The FDA is under Biden's purview. The FDA shutdown the Abbott plants. Shutdown will mean no more product being produced. The FDA did not make arrangements for a shortage that they knew was coming.

i'm not really sure that people can grasp this decision. This wasn't like shutting down a Blue Bell plant.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Animal wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:00 pm

Well done folks.

i'm not really sure that people can grasp this decision. This wasn't like shutting down a Blue Bell plant.
This is the problem with entrenched bureaucrats. They are so comfortable within their own bubble that not a single person in the room raised their hand and asked, 'Hey, will this have any long term implications in regard to supply?'
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Biker wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:07 pm

Well done folks.

This is the problem with entrenched bureaucrats. They are so comfortable within their own bubble that not a single person in the room raised their hand and asked, 'Hey, will this have any long term implications in regard to supply?'
Remember when Covid hit the meat packing plants and was going to shut them down? Now, meat isn't exactly on the same level as baby formula if you have a child that relies on it to live, but nonetheless... What did Trump do in the middle of the pandemic? Trump designated the meat plants as critical infrastructure and demanded that they stay open. Those are tough decisions.

Demanding that Abbott remain open and putting hundreds of FDA inspectors in there with disinfectants to monitor every step during the testing and delays would have been a republican soloution.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Animal wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:21 pm
Biker wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:07 pm

Well done folks.

Remember when Covid hit the meat packing plants and was going to shut them down? Now, meat isn't exactly on the same level as baby formula if you have a child that relies on it to live, but nonetheless... What did Trump do in the middle of the pandemic? Trump designated the meat plants as critical infrastructure and demanded that they stay open. Those are tough decisions.

Demanding that Abbott remain open and putting hundreds of FDA inspectors in there with disinfectants to monitor every step during the testing and delays would have been a republican soloution.
100%

The first instinct that leftists have today is to shut everything down.