Court Cam

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

DiverTexas
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Court Cam

Post by DiverTexas »

Anyone here that has seen the show?
It's unbelievable how the defendants, gallery and even some of the attorneys act with so much on the line.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Court Cam

Post by Animal »

i was on a jury for an armed robbery a few years ago. The guy was a 3 time felon and he had pled guilty and the only point of the jury was to determine the sentence. He asked to be sentenced by a jury rather than by the judge. So, we didn't have to listen to a trial to determine guilt, only to listen to whatever the defense attorney and prosecutors wanted us to hear in order to decide his sentence.

Anyway, the guilty guy was a black man. He had only been out of the penitentiary for a few months, lived with his mom, no job, and he robbed a cell phone store of $100 at gun point. The two girls working in the store testified about how scared they were, etc.

Anyway, this guy has a court appointed lawyer and the lawyer is black and he's dressed like a pimp. Even has a hat on and like this big baggy pin stripe zoot suit. And when its his turn he calls a police detective on the stand. This is the detective that put together a list of photos that the girls identified the gunman from. And he has the photo lineup the detective had. Its about 10 pictures of various black guys and one of them is the defendant. So the attorney starts, "Now, do you see one of those pichuhs has a man's head that is much bigger than the other mens heads?" The policeman says "Yes". "Now, why do you think that you picked out a pichuh that had one man's head so much bigger than the other mens heads?" The detective says "Those pictures were taken from the Driver's License data base. I don't make he size of them". So then the attorney says, "But, look at how big his head is? Do you see how big that head is in that pichur? Why anybody gonna pick out that pichur just because of how big his head is, ain't that right?" and the detective says, "I think they picked him out because he's the guy that did it". And the attorney says, "Well, the man's head is twice as big as those other men heads.".

And I'm just sitting there thinking "Shit he already pled guilty, what in the fuck?"
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Fun show. It would be nice if their commercial break time wasn't as much as the show content.
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

I was on a jury for a case of felony trespassing a few years ago which wound up having some fun court drama. It seemed pretty open-n-shut: young black (somewhat "hoody") kid arrested in his car for being where he apparently wasn't supposed to be, older "respectful" black deputy with a tale to tell about the arrest. Kid's lawyer asked for and got his jury trial, and during the voir-dire, some of the details about the case naturally dropped in. Many of us potential jurors honestly felt the kid had no chance. I got picked, and the trial started. After a few hours of both interesting and dull testimony, the case wrapped up and we went out for our decision. At first, most of us admitted the kid was likely guilty, he looked it, and the cop made a pretty good case. But then we started to discuss the trial evidence we began to feel that there was a real disconnect between the kid's story and the cop's. And as we reviewed the cop's story, it just didn't add up. Cop said the kid drove up in one place, but where he said he saw the kid didn't jibe with where the kid would have been. The cop just simply couldn't have seen the kid where he said he did, and it really felt like the cop lost sight of the real perp, and just picked another car that "kinda-sorta" matched the perp's car. At the end, we simply did not believe the deputy's story, the kid's story made better sense. And that's how we wrote up the unanimous verdict.

When we came back to the courtroom, I could see in the eyes of both the kid and his lawyer that they were sure they lost the case. I mean, the cop, how could you *not* believe him? Cops always tell the complete truth at a trial. And we announced "not guilty" both sides of the case were in complete shock. The kid's eyes, I'll never forget them: they just showed utter confusion about the result, and I swear I saw his lawyer mouth the words "we won?!" The deputy looked completely dejected. We didn't think the cop was lying, but we felt like he filled in the gaps of his testimony to make it seem stronger than it really was. If we'd found the kid guilty, he could have faced five years in one of the state's big houses. I hope he took that opportunity to re-evaluate his future life's choices, with us as his jurors it could have really gone wrong for him if we had picked the "easy" decision.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

saltydog wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:55 am Fun show. It would be nice if their commercial break time wasn't as much as the show content.
Isn't that every show now?
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Deathproof wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:20 pm
saltydog wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:55 am Fun show. It would be nice if their commercial break time wasn't as much as the show content.
Isn't that every show now?
I don't watch every show, I can not answer that.
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?