Mechanical Question

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Whackov
Christ, get a life already!

Mechanical Question

Post by Whackov »

My son has a 2010 Dodge Charger. He was in a head on collision and, after 3 months, he finally got his car back from the body shop. When I picked up his car, he had a check engine light (O2 sensor) on that was not on before the accident. Two weeks later, all or almost all of warning lights are on. Other than being a piece of shit Chrysler that needs to be gotten rid of, what is your arm chair diagnosis of the issue?

Google suggests that it could be the alternator or an issue with the charging system.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Re: Mechanical Question

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Was there any engine damage in the accident? If so, what parts were replaced?
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Whackov

Post by Whackov »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:30 pm Was there any engine damage in the accident? If so, what parts were replaced?
Not sure off the top of my head. I will have to pull up the estimate and see.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

there there was a check engine light code that was going to be voted "Most Popular" it would be the O2 Sensor.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Off the top of my head, it sounds like the ECM has gone bonkers.

You may have to take it in, have them plug into it and see what codes come up.

When the car is running does it sound right? What color is the exhaust? Hold a Kleenex or a paper towel over the exhaust pipe (with the engine at operating temperature) and check to see if there's any fuel or oil or coolant on it.
Last edited by Reservoir Dog on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:06 pm there there was a check engine light code that was going to be voted "Most Popular" it would be the O2 Sensor.
It's ALWAYS the O2 sensor. :lol:
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

The O2 warning light is no big deal, but having all the other ones go off doesn't sound good. Does sound electrical. Maybe just have them clear the vehicle's computer of the warnings and see if they pop back on. Armchair diagnostic at best.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:22 pm The O2 warning light is no big deal, but having all the other ones go off doesn't sound good. Does sound electrical. Maybe just have them clear the vehicle's computer of the warnings and see if they pop back on. Armchair diagnostic at best.
that's exactly what my advice would be. Unhook the battery for about 10 minutes and then hook it back up.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Code readers are cheap. Buy one. Clear them out and see how long it takes to get them back.

I used love Hondas. We’re it not for their gimpy automatic transmissions id still be driving them. Seeing the orange ECT light was worse than getting a letter from the tax authorities.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Low blinker fluid
QANON IS JUST SCIENTOLOGY FOR HILLBILLIES
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:24 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:22 pm The O2 warning light is no big deal, but having all the other ones go off doesn't sound good. Does sound electrical. Maybe just have them clear the vehicle's computer of the warnings and see if they pop back on. Armchair diagnostic at best.
that's exactly what my advice would be. Unhook the battery for about 10 minutes and then hook it back up.
All I know is whatever Engineer came up with the "check Engine" warning light should have been taken around back and shot many years ago.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Dunno about that. With a a code reader it can be simple
To diagnose and repair simple problems.

Like bad 02 or mass air sensor problems. I had one diagnose a faulty thermostat.
Whackov

Post by Whackov »

As I predicted, the body shop blew us off. We are taking it to our mechanic tomorrow to have him run diagnostics.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Whackov wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:23 pm As I predicted, the body shop blew us off. We are taking it to our mechanic tomorrow to have him run diagnostics.
meanwhile, unhook the battery and see if it clears the codes out of the computer. that's really not as unusual of a problem as you might think. especially after they come out of the shop.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:39 pm
Whackov wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:23 pm As I predicted, the body shop blew us off. We are taking it to our mechanic tomorrow to have him run diagnostics.
meanwhile, unhook the battery and see if it clears the codes out of the computer. that's really not as unusual of a problem as you might think. especially after they come out of the shop.
Yeah, this is really good idea. Like Animal said, unhook it for 10-15 minutes. May clear your problem so you don't have to pay for your mechanic to check it out.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Clear the codes. Check battery voltage and connection’s. Check belt and belt tension.
WarmBidetWater
Forum God

Post by WarmBidetWater »

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:06 pm there there was a check engine light code that was going to be voted "Most Popular" it would be the O2 Sensor.
I beg to differ. IMHO it would be "evap leak" (either large or small)...
Whackov

Post by Whackov »

Trying this. After 5 minutes of fucking around to find the hood latch release, I quickly realized that the battery was in the trunk and not under the hood. PoS Chrysler. :D
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Blinker fluid spilled on the battery cable. Happens a lot in front end crashes.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

WarmBidetWater wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:28 pm
Yeah sometimes it’s just a janky gas cap.
Whackov

Post by Whackov »

Charliesheen wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:07 pm
WarmBidetWater wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:28 pm
Yeah sometimes it’s just a janky gas cap.
This isn’t the first for the O2 sensor and we have replaced the gas cap.
Whackov

Post by Whackov »

Whackov wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:55 pm
Trying this. After 5 minutes of fucking around to find the hood latch release, I quickly realized that the battery was in the trunk and not under the hood. PoS Chrysler. :D
Did this down to 4 warning lights……….at least until the check engine light comes on again.
Zerobeat
Forum God

Post by Zerobeat »

I'd start checking grounds. If any of the front end parts.were replaced (structural), they may not have replaced, or properly cleaned, the grounding straps and connections.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Whackov wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:26 pm
Whackov wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:55 pm
Did this down to 4 warning lights……….at least until the check engine light comes on again.
I really do wish you would list engine parts/ repairs that shop did. May trigger a "Aha" moment from some of the members here who are really experts with vehicles.
fouts
Forum God

Post by fouts »

quit dickin' around and take to the dealership for a complete electronics check.Unless you are going to buy a $500. code reader ,save your money,a dealers diagnostic check is more complex than any $30. Amazon code reader can do.