How religious are you?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

necronomous
Official UJR Trolling Czar

Re: How religious are you?

Post by necronomous »

nerd_alert wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:20 am
Animal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:11 am so this temple was built in South America in 100 AD. Notice the columns and how they are constructed. How do people on two different continents that never met end up with the basic same design?

for Necro: This is what is known as a rhetorical question.
You're going full CTC, Never go full CTC.

These are ruins from the Jesuit mission of San Ignacio. It was founded in 1610 and completed in 1696. Its located in Arentina.

History:
https://www.tangol.com/blog/eng/history ... o_post_462
He's too interested in trying to make me look like a fool, that he misses when he does it to himself.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:36 am
Animal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:11 am so this temple was built in South America in 100 AD. Notice the columns and how they are constructed. How do people on two different continents that never met end up with the basic same design?

For animal: I don't believe you understand one bit of why they have the similar architecture.
i would bet the odds are more in my favor than yours. :lol:
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

I'm guessing it's similar to how platypuses got beaks?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Geist wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:14 pm

I'm guessing it's similar to how platypuses got beaks?
Did you know that platypuses lay eggs?
That's just fucking weird, man.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:02 pm

For animal: I don't believe you understand one bit of why they have the similar architecture.
Bet they aren't. I took art history in college, this was one of the things they went over. But ok.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:47 pm

Bet they aren't. I took art history in college, this was one of the things they went over. But ok.
That's so weird. I took 2 classes of architectural history in college. Would you compare those columns to doric, ionic or corinthian and why?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:51 pm

That's so weird. I took 2 classes of architectural history in college. Would you compare those columns to doric, ionic or corinthian and why?
Actually, they look more Roman Tuscan.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

These are ruins from the Jesuit mission of San Ignacio. It was founded in 1610 and completed in 1696. Its located in Arentina.

History:
https://theculturetrip.com/south-americ ... buildings/

i got it from there. But I must have been reading about the one above it and thinking it applied to the picture.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

I think if even if I answered correctly you would accuse me of googling it.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

DiverTexas wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:57 am
FSchmertz wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:50 am
DiverTexas wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:42 am Debates on religion will continue long after we are all gone and forgotten.
Dealing with people that believe that there are 14 different genders, can't decide which bathroom they should use, only prove that point further.
The Tralfamadorians have observed seven sexes in Earth humans. :)
Kurt Vonnegut was somewhat entertaining.
I don't know about needing seven sexes, but it wouldn't be hard to persuade me to "get with the reproduction" with Valerie Perrine of that era.

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:09 pm

i am actually interested. i can't remember any examples of latin american architecture that they covered in my architecural history classes. We studied from the ancient egyptians, then a lot about the ancient Greeks, and then the ancient Romans and on to the Byzantine and Romanesque and finally the Gothic. I never remember anything in the Americas.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:15 pm

i am actually interested. i can't remember any examples of latin american architecture that they covered in my architecural history classes. We studied from the ancient egyptians, then a lot about the ancient Greeks, and then the ancient Romans and on to the Byzantine and Romanesque and finally the Gothic. I never remember anything in the Americas.
I don't believe you, but they appear to be Corinthian because of the flourishes that appear to be under the tops of the columns. But I'm on my phone and when I zoom in it's fuzzy, so this is a best guess.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:49 pm

I don't believe you, but they appear to be Corinthian because of the flourishes that appear to be under the tops of the columns. But I'm on my phone and when I zoom in it's fuzzy, so this is a best guess.
no, you said you knew the answer to my original question because they went over it in your art history class. so how was it that these columns look so much like columns that were being built on another continent?
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:55 pm
no, you said you knew the answer to my original question because they went over it in your art history class. so how was it that these columns look so much like columns that were being built on another continent?
because aliens man. But because those were done in 1600, so that's not really a mystery.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:37 pm

because aliens man. But because those were done in 1600, so that's not really a mystery.
its a good thing they covered that, then. :lol:
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:19 pm
necronomous wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:37 pm
its a good thing they covered that, then. :lol:
Well I mean if you can't figure out known influences across the world in 1600, I'm not sure what to tell you.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

that's what i figured.
nerd_alert
Knows the name of every naked chick

Post by nerd_alert »

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:02 pm

History:

i got it from there. But I must have been reading about the one above it and thinking it applied to the picture.
Ah yes, after looking at that page, that would be an easy mistake to make.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

nerd_alert wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:26 pm

History:

what got me thinking about it was that I had seen a picture on a documentary recently in central america or south america. And the building had columns and it was way before any european influence. but I couldn't remember enough details to google it. It might have been Mayan.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:31 pm

History:

what got me thinking about it was that I had seen a picture on a documentary recently in central america or south america. And the building had columns and it was way before any european influence. but I couldn't remember enough details to google it. It might have been Mayan.
Was it one of those "Ancient Aliens" type of shows?
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

History:

Are you talking columns specifically? Because most of it is pure coincidence, such as pyramids. And metal clamps to hold stones together as it just makes sense architecturally. As for columns, most are ancient european or middle eastern influence. Is there a specific example?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

necronomous wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 pm

History:

Are you talking columns specifically? Because most of it is pure coincidence, such as pyramids. And metal clamps to hold stones together as it just makes sense architecturally. As for columns, most are ancient european or middle eastern influence. Is there a specific example?
as you probably remember from your art history classes, there were specific design elements in ancient architecture that evolved with the various dominant civilizations through history. Columns were one of those. Arches were another. Domes, etc. The significance to their use in construction was of primary importance, but their design and incorporation into the aesthetics was often a defining feature of entire eras and dynasties. I just find it very interesting how different civilizations find almost the exact same way in how to accomplish something.
necronomous

Post by necronomous »

Animal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:46 pm
necronomous wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 pm

History:

as you probably remember from your art history classes, there were specific design elements in ancient architecture that evolved with the various dominant civilizations through history. Columns were one of those. Arches were another. Domes, etc. The significance to their use in construction was of primary importance, but their design and incorporation into the aesthetics was often a defining feature of entire eras and dynasties. I just find it very interesting how different civilizations find almost the exact same way in how to accomplish something.
As do I. And yes I do. We studied ancient architecture because it was part of the art then. In fact we studied ancient up to I believe Renaissance. And the influence of western, Eastern and Middle Eastern influence on each. We did not get into the structural integrity of the building procedure, but what you are referring to, we did cover. Believe it or not Skippy, your lack of reading comprehension is not a reflection of my studies.
Hyperv12
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by Hyperv12 »

Religion is the opium of the masses.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Hyperv12 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:18 pm Religion is the opium of the masses.
MARXIST !!!