Recent projects

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Re: Recent projects

Post by Blast »

I'll have one for sale in a couple weeks.
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:46 pm
pork wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:32 pm
disco.moon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:37 pm
pork wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:44 pm Renaissance Faire

lol people actual go to these?
Of course! People who maintain a sense of whimsy and delight you killjoy. There's a big one near me with a whole village and such. Turkey legs, jousting, mead, jewelry making, scavenger hunts, a kissing bridge, and gymnasts!
sounds like so much fun. have fun with the gymnasts and say hi to hawk for me.
I will sword fight you!
hey man the playoffs are not even over yet and howie already bounced the avatar off. you guys sure use your power wisely.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

pork wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:23 am
hawkfan8812 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:46 pm
pork wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:32 pm
disco.moon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:37 pm
pork wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:44 pm Renaissance Faire

lol people actual go to these?
Of course! People who maintain a sense of whimsy and delight you killjoy. There's a big one near me with a whole village and such. Turkey legs, jousting, mead, jewelry making, scavenger hunts, a kissing bridge, and gymnasts!
sounds like so much fun. have fun with the gymnasts and say hi to hawk for me.
I will sword fight you!
hey man the playoffs are not even over yet and howie already bounced the avatar off. you guys sure use your power wisely.
Howie's little puppet Biker is doing his bidding.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

Been a bit cold to work in the shop but I have a plan and a practice bbq claw done up. Gotta make a couple more before I'm happy with the shapes and styles. In the mean time, some other projects I've finished up.

CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Man, those look nice but why does the one look like a burn meth/heroin bowl?
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:37 am Man, those look nice but why does the one look like a burn meth/heroin bowl?
That's a frying pan, but if you're using something that big to cook your meth, that explains quite a bit.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Blast wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:41 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:37 am Man, those look nice but why does the one look like a burn meth/heroin bowl?
That's a frying pan, but if you're using something that big to cook your meth, that explains quite a bit.
Well, knowing your neck of the woods and trying to figure out how you can afford that big house, you have to admit it would explain a lot.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

so, do you have a negative shape of the inside of the frying pan made out of wood or something that you shape the pan onto? I guess wood wouldn't work since it would have to be so hot.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

Animal wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:26 am
so, do you have a negative shape of the inside of the frying pan made out of wood or something that you shape the pan onto? I guess wood wouldn't work since it would have to be so hot.
I don't have a dishing form yet. I'll have to get ahold off an old oxygen tank at some point for that. I worked out over the edge of the anvil and actually had to shrink the metal to get it shaped. Because of the size I had to use my coal forge which was an old hand pumped rivet forge. Tørbjorn åhmon has a great video demonstrating how he makes frying pans that I reviewed before trying this.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Blast wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:57 am
Animal wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:26 am
I don't have a dishing form yet. I'll have to get ahold off an old oxygen tank at some point for that. I worked out over the edge of the anvil and actually had to shrink the metal to get it shaped. Because of the size I had to use my coal forge which was an old hand pumped rivet forge. Tørbjorn åhmon has a great video demonstrating how he makes frying pans that I reviewed before trying this.
well, its something worth trying to learn. out of all of the blacksmithing things, I have never seen anyone that makes pans. I guess I just haven't ever come across it.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

Most recent complex items, the rose takes about 4 to 5 hours to make. This batch I got heat oxidation on the edges of the petals to give it blues and purples. The orchid is based off the lady slipper orchids.

I haven't forgotten about the meat claws, I haven't found a design I like.

disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

Those are really cool Blast! I like the orchid especially. There's a fella near me that makes stuff like that for the lawn and they're crazy pretty AND expensive!
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

I'm charging 150 each for them right now, so they aren't the cheapest. But they'll never wear out or break.
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

I do alot of collage stuff - this is a table I'm doing for my living room. First step vs midway

This has pink around the edges, but was taken after my lense broke :(

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

well that is cool. i love old furniture.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

That looks great! Love the contrast of the flowers against the tables color. I also like the placement.
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

Thanks guys!! I'm going to do like a goldish rub along the edge. It matches my redone living room. 💗
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Blast wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:50 pm Most recent complex items, the rose takes about 4 to 5 hours to make. This batch I got heat oxidation on the edges of the petals to give it blues and purples. The orchid is based off the lady slipper orchids.

I haven't forgotten about the meat claws, I haven't found a design I like.

That looks great. If you get the chance, why don't you show some of the tools and techniques you use. Doesn't have to be step per step or anything. I don't know anything about metalwork.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

I can do that. I also often make tools for specific tasks like many smith's do.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Blast wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:28 pm I can do that. I also often make tools for specific tasks like many smith's do.
That would be cool. Things like the heat oxidation on the edge of the petals and stuff
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

/
OK. The Basics start with The anvil and hammers. There's more to the anvil than just hitting stuff on it. Its mass under the steel helps to concentrate and reflect the energy back into the piece. The main body is generally a mild steel or wrought iron with a hardened steel work face. Modern anvils are more likely cast steel due to how cheaply steel can be made now.

Depending on the work you're doing you work on different areas of the anvil. Drawing out, or lengthening the steel can be done anywhere on the anvil but is more efficient when working over the horn or the near or far edge. It concentrates the force of the blow onto a smaller surface area.

Basic squaring up, working a flat bar, or shaping a knife can be done on the waist where the anvil has most of its mass.

Making circles can be done several ways depending on the size and tools on hand. You can form it around the horn, use the step and the work surface of the anvil and gently bend it to a radius that way, or use a cone mandrel that comes in a number of sizes up to 4 feet tall.
I can do quick videos to show all off this if you want but I don't have a big ass mandrel yet.

The hardy hole is for tools. If you need a tool you can make it to fit in there. I'll actually take pictures of the ones I've made and put explanations by each. My main tools are the hot cut hardy, to cut steel over with a hammer when it's at least red hot, bending forks, and a guillotine tool for fullering and making tennons.

Pritchell hole is for when you are punching through steel mainly, it allows the slug, the piece of iron punched out of an opening, to drop away from the work surface so you don't forget it's there and set your hand on it...again. you can also use it for drifting, enlarging, holes. I start bottle openers like this.

Hammers, going from left to right
My three main hammers
Diagnol Pean hammer- one angle that works well for drawing out, or lengthing steel, one slightly round for general work

Rounding Hammer- all purpose. The round side can be used for widening, drawing out, and shaping. You can change the angle you hit with it to increase the force and shift the steel in a more controlled manner.
Flat face is for planishing, or smoothing and squaring up surfaces.

Dog's head or cutler's hammer- traditionally used for knife making and swords, is forward weight takes some getting used to.

Ask questions. The more I teach the better I learn and understand myself.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Damn. You are getting good at flowers. That orchid is cool looking.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho

Post by Blast »

Burn1dwn wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:48 am Damn. You are getting good at flowers. That orchid is cool looking.
Thanks, I'm going to keep playing with the designs a bit but I'm pushing what I can make the metal do. I can also ship...
Ricrude
No life apart from this stupid forum board
Interests: Drinking, gambling, running around with the wrong crowd, pranks...typical UJ stuff.

Post by Ricrude »

I really admire the skill it takes to do these things!
It is absolutely amazing that some people survive walking out of their homes...fo reelz!
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

I would give anything to learn the process, but it takes so much time. Its not just a hobby type skill set.