Thoughts?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Thoughts?

Post by disco.moon »

So, I am generally not a "When the shit hits the fan" kind of person, but recently I have been a little worried about this Winter.

A couple of weeks ago I was lead down a rabbit hole of doomsday talk about the winter; i.e., heating fuel prices, grocery prices, etc.

We closed on our house in March and we have a 250 gal heating fuel tank which is used for both heat and hot water, however we are going to purchase a water heater before September. I also want to stock up on staples in the kitchen.

Thoughts? Do any of you do prepping or anything like that or am I being overly paranoid?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: Thoughts?

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

If I lived in NJ, I would be paranoid all the time. Hope this helps.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:30 pm If I lived in NJ, I would be paranoid all the time. Hope this helps.
Hard at work at your fake job?
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Evil.Fkn.Mean,Nasty
Has a really kind, but cunty, heart

Post by Evil.Fkn.Mean,Nasty »

Buddy just told me heating oil has more than doubled. Thats gonna hurt.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Stocking up seems reasonable. Having 3 years of MREs seems excessive. Maybe keep a stock of firewood as well?
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

BigRedRetard wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:51 pm I have been stocking up on peanut butter and sriracha. Shortages of both are expected. I will be preserving all the tomatoes from my garden this year as well.
The Sriracha thing is real. Haven't heard about peanut butter.
DiverTexas
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by DiverTexas »

I almost regret selling all my cows, the extra $500-$700 a month eases the regret. Stocking up for a few months seems reasonable. Stocking up for years seems a tad excessive.
fouts
Forum God

Post by fouts »

I'd try to convert to natural gas if possible,the cost to install will minimize price fluctuations and eliminate the worry of 'do we have enough fuel' ? besides,it's a major upgrade to the house resell value. I'm not doomsday prepping anything except Old Bay hot sauce.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

I'm still looking at rabbits for meat to help fight food costs. It never hurts to have extra put away. Next year I hope to have all my raised gardens in and the fruit trees planted. If I plan my gardens right I can really reduce my grocery costs for a while.
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

DiverTexas wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:04 pm I almost regret selling all my cows, the extra $500-$700 a month eases the regret. Stocking up for a few months seems reasonable. Stocking up for years seems a tad excessive.
i have a good friend that has a big ranch south of San Antonio. He said that almost every tank is dried up and he is trucking water into his place. And its still June.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

B-Tender wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:52 pm
BigRedRetard wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:51 pm I have been stocking up on peanut butter and sriracha. Shortages of both are expected. I will be preserving all the tomatoes from my garden this year as well.
The Sriracha thing is real. Haven't heard about peanut butter.
just make sure you don't stock up the peanut butter with salmonella in it. that would suck.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

fouts wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:13 pm I'd try to convert to natural gas if possible,the cost to install will minimize price fluctuations and eliminate the worry of 'do we have enough fuel' ? besides,it's a major upgrade to the house resell value. I'm not doomsday prepping anything except Old Bay hot sauce.
I'm kinda in the periphery of the fuel oil and natural gas heating business, and am in contact all the time with many in the heating/cooling/plumbing businesses.

Natural gas is kind of oversold to homeowners. It's not necessarily cheaper, prices fluctuate just like fuel oil. And if you're thinking of switching to natural gas, the best time is when you have to replace your furnace anyhow. If you have an oil furnace that's still pretty good, cost wise it's better to stay with oil (though if you have a 20+ old underground storage thank, it's time to replace it, preferably with an above ground storage tank).
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

This is all you need to make a delicious sauce for anything
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Inflation isnt going to stop any time soon. If there are things that you know you use quite a bit of it probably wouldnt hurt to stock up a bit. I wouldnt go all "end of the world crazy" though.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

disco.moon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:23 pm So, I am generally not a "When the shit hits the fan" kind of person, but recently I have been a little worried about this Winter.

A couple of weeks ago I was lead down a rabbit hole of doomsday talk about the winter; i.e., heating fuel prices, grocery prices, etc.

We closed on our house in March and we have a 250 gal heating fuel tank which is used for both heat and hot water, however we are going to purchase a water heater before September. I also want to stock up on staples in the kitchen.

Thoughts? Do any of you do prepping or anything like that or am I being overly paranoid?
You are being overly paranoid. For some reason, people right now are preying on people's thoughts that there are going to be shortages of things. I had a guy knock on the office door at lunch the other day. He said he owned a business at the end of the street (food business of some kind) and they had gotten a delivery of meat and it wouldn't all fit into their freezers and he was driving down the street to see if any neighbors wanted to buy any of it at wholesale prices. He said there would be no meat on the shelves next week.

I told him to get the fuck out of here. I assume the entire story was bullshit. That was a few weeks ago and there is no meat shortage. But I hear those kinds of stories about everything. I guess our minds are still fresh from the shortages of toilet paper and hand sanatizer and stuff that people are wired to fall for these things right now.

and look into those "instant hot" hot water heaters. Supposedly they have come a million miles in how good they work.
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

fouts wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:13 pm I'd try to convert to natural gas if possible,the cost to install will minimize price fluctuations and eliminate the worry of 'do we have enough fuel' ? besides,it's a major upgrade to the house resell value. I'm not doomsday prepping anything except Old Bay hot sauce.
There's a reason we can't do natural gas, I think it's because of the terrain or something.... but I don't think we can in this community.
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

Blast wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:14 pm I'm still looking at rabbits for meat to help fight food costs. It never hurts to have extra put away. Next year I hope to have all my raised gardens in and the fruit trees planted. If I plan my gardens right I can really reduce my grocery costs for a while.
The BF talked about buying a "cow". There's a bunch of farms around us that do the butchering thing. We're also going to get a vacuum sealer and deep freeze.

Thing is, usually it's only us. My son is rarely here anymore, so I don't want us to end up wasting.
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

FSchmertz wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:29 pm
I'm kinda in the periphery of the fuel oil and natural gas heating business, and am in contact all the time with many in the heating/cooling/plumbing businesses.

Natural gas is kind of oversold to homeowners. It's not necessarily cheaper, prices fluctuate just like fuel oil. And if you're thinking of switching to natural gas, the best time is when you have to replace your furnace anyhow. If you have an oil furnace that's still pretty good, cost wise it's better to stay with oil (though if you have a 20+ old underground storage thank, it's time to replace it, preferably with an above ground storage tank).
Yeah I think we're still going to use it for heat. The tank is above ground and new as of three years ago (we bought the place we had been renting for 3 years). But the BF is in the process of restoring an old wood stove for the basement too.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

If you find a staple item on sale then stock up.

One other consideration on switching to natural gas is supply dependability. You are not stuck like you would be if bad weather stopped oil from being refilled. Propane has the same problem as oil.
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:51 pm Inflation isnt going to stop any time soon. If there are things that you know you use quite a bit of it probably wouldnt hurt to stock up a bit. I wouldnt go all "end of the world crazy" though.
Yeah, true...I feel you. I found out today there's a tampon shortage 😑
DiverTexas
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by DiverTexas »

disco.moon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:10 pm
Blast wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:14 pm I'm still looking at rabbits for meat to help fight food costs. It never hurts to have extra put away. Next year I hope to have all my raised gardens in and the fruit trees planted. If I plan my gardens right I can really reduce my grocery costs for a while.
The BF talked about buying a "cow". There's a bunch of farms around us that do the butchering thing. We're also going to get a vacuum sealer and deep freeze.

Thing is, usually it's only us. My son is rarely here anymore, so I don't want us to end up wasting.
See If they are willing to sell you a half calf. It's only the wife and I here and that normally lasts us 3-5 months.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

vacuum sealers are the way to go. more people should use them.
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

Animal wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:00 pm
disco.moon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:23 pm So, I am generally not a "When the shit hits the fan" kind of person, but recently I have been a little worried about this Winter.

You are being overly paranoid. For some reason, people right now are preying on people's thoughts that there are going to be shortages of things. I had a guy knock on the office door at lunch the other day. He said he owned a business at the end of the street (food business of some kind) and they had gotten a delivery of meat and it wouldn't all fit into their freezers and he was driving down the street to see if any neighbors wanted to buy any of it at wholesale prices. He said there would be no meat on the shelves next week.

I told him to get the fuck out of here. I assume the entire story was bullshit. That was a few weeks ago and there is no meat shortage. But I hear those kinds of stories about everything. I guess our minds are still fresh from the shortages of toilet paper and hand sanatizer and stuff that people are wired to fall for these things right now.

and look into those "instant hot" hot water heaters. Supposedly they have come a million miles in how good they work.
Whoa! That same scam about the meat thing in our community a couple of weeks ago. A guy stating he was with Omaha Steaks (even though he was in an unmarked utility van) said he had a delivery but he was left with extra food. People told him to fuck off too.

I think the instant heaters are the one the BF has in mind, the wall hanging ones?
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

DiverTexas wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:14 pm

See If they are willing to sell you a half calf. It's only the wife and I here and that normally lasts us 3-5 months.
Ooooh okay!!
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

disco.moon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:17 pm
Animal wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:00 pm

Whoa! That same scam about the meat thing in our community a couple of weeks ago. A guy stating he was with Omaha Steaks (even though he was in an unmarked utility van) said he had a delivery but he was left with extra food. People told him to fuck off too.

I think the instant heaters are the one the BF has in mind, the wall hanging ones?
Yep. same scam. Its probably the Travellers doing it all over the place.

Yes, the instant hot water heaters are tankless, and just connect into a water line and they are usually mounted on a wall. I know they make electric ones (110 v or 220 v). But I also recently learned that they make them that run off propane or natural gas. So there might be way more options now.