Thoughts?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

nerd_alert
Knows the name of every naked chick

Re: Thoughts?

Post by nerd_alert »

Animal wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:23 pm
nerd_alert wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:09 pm
disco.moon wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:44 pm So I've decided to stock up on alot of stuff, with a Costco card!! I can't wait to get a giant vat of mayo and industrial box of harpoons. Gonna skip the whole "wet meat in a jar" thing though.

Thanks for your input fellas. :usa:
You might want to also check out Restaurant Depot if there is one near you. No special card needed to get in since the pandemic hit. Just get a one-day pass. I like going there because they have lots of stuff I don't see elsewhere. I think someone mentioned it before, but good idea to get a vac sealer if you don't have one. Makes sense to buy in bulk, portion and freeze.
i thought those places sold appliances and restaurant equipment. they sell food?
They do sell those things, but its mostly food

Here's this months monthly flyer, at least for my area.

https://www.restaurantdepot.com/docs/de ... 952852b1_4
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

nerd_alert wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:31 pm
disco.moon wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:44 pm So I've decided to stock up on alot of stuff, with a Costco card!! I can't wait to get a giant vat of mayo and industrial box of harpoons. Gonna skip the whole "wet meat in a jar" thing though.

You might want to also check out Restaurant Depot if there is one near you. No special card needed to get in since the pandemic hit. Just get a one-day pass. I like going there because they have lots of stuff I don't see elsewhere. I think someone mentioned it before, but good idea to get a vac sealer if you don't have one. Makes sense to buy in bulk, portion and freeze.
i thought those places sold appliances and restaurant equipment. they sell food?

holy shit. a 7.5 lb jug of Hershey's syrup. :lol:

I had no idea. I know where one of those is, but I have always thought it was just pots and pans and salt shakers and stuff restaurant owners buy. I have never heard one single person talk about going there to buy food like Costco or Sam's.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Animal wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:35 pm

I had no idea. I know where one of those is, but I have always thought it was just pots and pans and salt shakers and stuff restaurant owners buy. I have never heard one single person talk about going there to buy food like Costco or Sam's.
I don't know that their prices are always cheaper at RD, but you can buy in bulk.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

$3.00 per pound for baby back ribs is pretty damn good. even though its a case, that's the best way anyway. smoke a shitload and then vacuum seal them. you can boil the bags to heat them up and its like they came right off the smoker months later. you don't even have to thaw them out first. but you do have to make sure you buy good bags that can be boiled.
nerd_alert

Post by nerd_alert »

Animal wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:35 pm

Most people wouldn't have thought to get stuff there. I only heard about it from the pellet grill forum I joined. Pre-pandemic you needed a membership, which was limited to businesses or people with a tax id. I joined the Kansas City BBQ Society. One of their perks was you could show up, show your KCBS id and you'd get a one day pass. But then the pandemic hit and with empty grocery store shelves and closed restaurants, they had lots product to move, so they let in people without memberships.

The one by me (and I presume others) is huge. The couple of people I've taken there were just in awe. :-) If you go, take a jacket.. The room where the meat, fish, fruit, etc is on display is usually in the low forties. That room alone is bigger than some of the grocery stores I've been to. Pre-pandemic, they had loaner jackets but stopped using them.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

Geist wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:16 pm If I knew he was that weak I wouldn't have been so on the nose, and I definitely don't wanna roon his whole unfilled week by calling his poor taste in music too 😭
You're adorable. Except your illiteracy.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

Animal wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:35 pm I had no idea. I know where one of those is, but I have always thought it was just pots and pans and salt shakers and stuff restaurant owners buy. I have never heard one single person talk about going there to buy food like Costco or Sam's.
Before my wife retired, she befriended a fellow at the hospital who had a membership to one of those restaurant stores (his brother owned a food truck), and he loaned her his card a number of times. The store isn't far from us, and the first time we went I was just gob-smacked by all the stuff they had. Yes, pot and pans and shakers (all kinds of them!), but also foods of all kinds, big ol' packages of it. Twenty-five lb bags of onions and carrots. Huge restaurant sized cans and buckets of crushed tomatoes and pickle relish. But it was the food prep stuff I was most interested in, insta-thermometers, specialized prep items like scrapers and graters, and those ubiquitous plastic water pitchers every restaurant uses. All in a wider variety than any Sam's could ever offer, and still cheaper.

We must have spent $400 on stuff we honestly really didn't need. And obviously my and my wife's white face didn't match the Arabic name on the card. The clerk giggled and I asked if it was a problem. She said no, as long as the card was valid the store didn't care who used it. And people had and spent so much more than we did, guy in front of us spent over $2000 on a single cart of frozen foods. Some others had multiple carts, those big ones that Home Depot uses. That $30 3-gallon of hi-quality kalamata olives I love so much, I still had them over a year later. And still use the two thermometers, including the wireless oven/grill thermometer, I bought.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
Zerobeat
Forum God

Post by Zerobeat »

disco.moon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:33 pm
Animal wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:20 pm
Yep. same scam. Its probably the Travellers doing it all over the place.

Yes, the instant hot water heaters are tankless, and just connect into a water line and they are usually mounted on a wall. I know they make electric ones (110 v or 220 v). But I also recently learned that they make them that run off propane or natural gas. So there might be way more options now.
Shit yeah, the gypsies have been "seal-coating" driveways too.

Fucking A, I can't wait to not use oil for fecking water. Which means we're still pumping oil into that damn tank in the summer.
Couple of things on the tankless water heaters:

The electric models use a TON of power. You may need to upgrade your incoming service to accommodate one, especially if you only have a 100 or 150 amp service.

If you're on a well, or have generally crappy water quality, the proper maintenance becomes more important than ever. When installed properly, they will have provisions for descaling the units. With mineral heavy water, the time between cleanings will decrease. They sell kits to allow you to DIY this, so make sure you add that to your homeowners arsenal of tools.

Make sure the unit is properly sized. The most complaints about tankless heaters are caused by under-sizing.

This goes back to my second point: Follow the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations, with the appropriate schedule to your conditions.

You might also consider using an electric hybrid type water heater. It uses a heat pump, backed up with electric elements. A friend of mine has one installed, and even in the winter, the resistance elements rarely kick on. Just a other option for you.
DiverTexas
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by DiverTexas »

Hybrid or heat pump water heaters have their drawbacks.
They act as a desuperheater which throws off the efficiency of your HVAC sytstem.
The propane tankless systems are $$$.
Zerobeat
Forum God

Post by Zerobeat »

DiverTexas wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:51 pm Hybrid or heat pump water heaters have their drawbacks.
They act as a desuperheater which throws off the efficiency of your HVAC sytstem.
The propane tankless systems are $$$.
I've yet to see that issue arise, but I'm not saying it doesn't happen. It would be interesting to know the full scenarios in which it has occurred, though

You definitely are not wrong, and the same applies to natural gas units.
nerd_alert

Post by nerd_alert »

QillerDaemon wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:24 pm
Animal wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:35 pm I had no idea. I know where one of those is, but I have always thought it was just pots and pans and salt shakers and stuff restaurant owners buy. I have never heard one single person talk about going there to buy food like Costco or Sam's.
Before my wife retired, she befriended a fellow at the hospital who had a membership to one of those restaurant stores (his brother owned a food truck), and he loaned her his card a number of times. The store isn't far from us, and the first time we went I was just gob-smacked by all the stuff they had. Yes, pot and pans and shakers (all kinds of them!), but also foods of all kinds, big ol' packages of it. Twenty-five lb bags of onions and carrots. Huge restaurant sized cans and buckets of crushed tomatoes and pickle relish. But it was the food prep stuff I was most interested in, insta-thermometers, specialized prep items like scrapers and graters, and those ubiquitous plastic water pitchers every restaurant uses. All in a wider variety than any Sam's could ever offer, and still cheaper.

We must have spent $400 on stuff we honestly really didn't need. And obviously my and my wife's white face didn't match the Arabic name on the card. The clerk giggled and I asked if it was a problem. She said no, as long as the card was valid the store didn't care who used it. And people had and spent so much more than we did, guy in front of us spent over $2000 on a single cart of frozen foods. Some others had multiple carts, those big ones that Home Depot uses. That $30 3-gallon of hi-quality kalamata olives I love so much, I still had them over a year later. And still use the two thermometers, including the wireless oven/grill thermometer, I bought.
Lol, yeah its easy to get gob-smacked walking into RD. i love how I can get stuff there that i just don't find in typical supermarkets. It may be easy for Animal to get plate ribs down in Texas, not so much on the East Coast. But I've gotten plate & short ribs there, Also Picana (coulette). One of these days I'll , when the price is right, I will pick up some pork belly for a variety of dishes. I've also been picking up some imported cheeses lately. I'd say I find something new there every time I visit.