Thoughts?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Re: Thoughts?

Post by Geist »

disco.moon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:17 pm
DiverTexas wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:14 pm
disco.moon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:10 pm
Blast wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:14 pm I'm still looking at rabbits for meat to help fight food costs. It never hurts to have extra put away. Next year I hope to have all my raised gardens in and the fruit trees planted. If I plan my gardens right I can really reduce my grocery costs for a while.
The BF talked about buying a "cow". There's a bunch of farms around us that do the butchering thing. We're also going to get a vacuum sealer and deep freeze.

Thing is, usually it's only us. My son is rarely here anymore, so I don't want us to end up wasting.
See If they are willing to sell you a half calf. It's only the wife and I here and that normally lasts us 3-5 months.
Ooooh okay!!
If you need a vegetarian option, ask about the de-calf too
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Geist wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:22 pm
Blast wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:14 pm I'm still looking at rabbits for meat to help fight food costs. It never hurts to have extra put away. Next year I hope to have all my raised gardens in and the fruit trees planted. If I plan my gardens right I can really reduce my grocery costs for a while.
The BF talked about buying a "cow". There's a bunch of farms around us that do the butchering thing. We're also going to get a vacuum sealer and deep freeze.

Thing is, usually it's only us. My son is rarely here anymore, so I don't want us to end up wasting.
See If they are willing to sell you a half calf. It's only the wife and I here and that normally lasts us 3-5 months.
Ooooh okay!!
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

Geist wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:22 pm

Ooooh okay!!
Oh Dad 🙄
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

Animal wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:20 pm
Yep. same scam. Its probably the Travellers doing it all over the place.

Yes, the instant hot water heaters are tankless, and just connect into a water line and they are usually mounted on a wall. I know they make electric ones (110 v or 220 v). But I also recently learned that they make them that run off propane or natural gas. So there might be way more options now.
Shit yeah, the gypsies have been "seal-coating" driveways too.

Fucking A, I can't wait to not use oil for fecking water. Which means we're still pumping oil into that damn tank in the summer.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

disco.moon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:33 pm

Yes, the instant hot water heaters are tankless, and just connect into a water line and they are usually mounted on a wall. I know they make electric ones (110 v or 220 v). But I also recently learned that they make them that run off propane or natural gas. So there might be way more options now.
Shit yeah, the gypsies have been "seal-coating" driveways too.

Fucking A, I can't wait to not use oil for fecking water. Which means we're still pumping oil into that damn tank in the summer.
Well, the nice thing about the tankless water heater is that you aren't keeping 200 gallons of water hot 24 hours a day. The whole idea behind the old water heater's is out dated. But they are doing a terrible job of informing people about the new options.
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

There will be shortages, but the market will direct goods to those willing to pay higher prices. The West will be fine, with some hiccups of course, but its the developing world thats going to get fucked. Think Ethiopia 1984
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Of course its harvest season right now, but I have never seen so much what and corn being harvested. as far as the eye can see around here. I am hearing that corn prices are really dropping, too.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Animal wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:50 pm
I am hearing that corn prices are really dropping, too.

Yep

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Biker wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:57 pm
Animal wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:50 pm
I am hearing that corn prices are really dropping, too.

Yep

well, they have a lot of room to drop. a year ago i was paying $7.00 for 50 lb bags. that price a month ago was over $10. that's a 43% increase in price in a really short period of time. And that $7.00 price was pretty much the same for several years.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Wheat is down to pre-war levels.

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

wheat has a long way to move down. It needs to get down around $700.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Animal wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:17 pm wheat has a long way to move down. It needs to get down around $700.
Yeah, whats not in the graph is the run up to the war, where prices really spiked
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Biker wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:21 pm
Animal wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:17 pm wheat has a long way to move down. It needs to get down around $700.
Yeah, whats not in the graph is the run up to the war, where prices really spiked
Yep. Wheat could have predicted that war. The price of wheat bounced around between $450 and $600 for years. And then at the start of 2021 it took off and didn't stop rising until it hit $1100 in May 2022. It was on the rise for the entire year of 2021 all the time in record territory.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

With the rise in the price of commodities came a rise in the cost of inputs and machinery. Fertilizer up two to three hundred percent. Fuel up more than double. Machinery prices out of sight if you can find it. Parts availability iffy at best. The wheat crop around here and a large portion of KS came in at 20 to 30 bpa. At 10 dollars a bushel that is 200 to 300 dollars per acre. In a normal year it would probably come in at 50 to 60 bpa at 5 dollars per bushel and way lower production cost. Do the math.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

rule34 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:14 pm With the rise in the price of commodities came a rise in the cost of inputs and machinery. Fertilizer up two to three hundred percent. Fuel up more than double. Machinery prices out of sight if you can find it. Parts availability iffy at best. The wheat crop around here and a large portion of KS came in at 20 to 30 bpa. At 10 dollars a bushel that is 200 to 300 dollars per acre. In a normal year it would probably come in at 50 to 60 bpa at 5 dollars per bushel and way lower production cost. Do the math.
The wheat I have seen around this part of Texas didn't look like the yield per acre would be any lower than expected. I know I have heard Kansas is in a drought, maybe that has dropped the yield per acre. The only thing I could see around here that would affect yield would be what the farmers decided to plant. I see way way WAY more corn than wheat.
Cyberhonky
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by Cyberhonky »

Animal wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:00 pm
disco.moon wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:23 pm So, I am generally not a "When the shit hits the fan" kind of person, but recently I have been a little worried about this Winter.

A couple of weeks ago I was lead down a rabbit hole of doomsday talk about the winter; i.e., heating fuel prices, grocery prices, etc.

We closed on our house in March and we have a 250 gal heating fuel tank which is used for both heat and hot water, however we are going to purchase a water heater before September. I also want to stock up on staples in the kitchen.

Thoughts? Do any of you do prepping or anything like that or am I being overly paranoid?
You are being overly paranoid. For some reason, people right now are preying on people's thoughts that there are going to be shortages of things. I had a guy knock on the office door at lunch the other day. He said he owned a business at the end of the street (food business of some kind) and they had gotten a delivery of meat and it wouldn't all fit into their freezers and he was driving down the street to see if any neighbors wanted to buy any of it at wholesale prices. He said there would be no meat on the shelves next week.

I told him to get the fuck out of here. I assume the entire story was bullshit. That was a few weeks ago and there is no meat shortage. But I hear those kinds of stories about everything. I guess our minds are still fresh from the shortages of toilet paper and hand sanatizer and stuff that people are wired to fall for these things right now.

and look into those "instant hot" hot water heaters. Supposedly they have come a million miles in how good they work.
Whoa! That same scam about the meat thing in our community a couple of weeks ago. A guy stating he was with Omaha Steaks (even though he was in an unmarked utility van) said he had a delivery but he was left with extra food. People told him to fuck off too.

I think the instant heaters are the one the BF has in mind, the wall hanging ones?

all our instant HW systems are gas over here. I'm sure there would be electric ones out there somewhere, but don't know anyone that would use one
Vote for Pedro
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Cyberhonky wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:41 pm
all our instant HW systems are gas over here. I'm sure there would be electric ones out there somewhere, but don't know anyone that would use one
i have an electric one in one of my office trailers here at work. Its only to heat water for two sinks. Its 110 v. I think most of the electric ones are 220v.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

All of these are electric

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Wa ... 5yc1vZc1ty

I think it says there are 79 results. 6 of them are 110 volts and the rest are 220 volts.
Cyberhonky
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by Cyberhonky »

Animal wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:53 pm
Cyberhonky wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:41 pm
i have an electric one in one of my office trailers here at work. Its only to heat water for two sinks. Its 110 v. I think most of the electric ones are 220v.
we don't do the 110v thing over here, only 240v or 415v. The electric systems are here, but i'd think their uses would be akin to yours (small applications). a domestic application would be gas
Vote for Pedro
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

I have been pressure canning meat for awhile due to cost. Been canning a lot of stuff for a few years now.
QANON IS JUST SCIENTOLOGY FOR HILLBILLIES
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

stonedmegman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:14 pm I have been pressure canning meat for awhile due to cost. Been canning a lot of stuff for a few years now.
Have to get ready for harvesting time, huh.
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

stonedmegman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:14 pm I have been pressure canning meat for awhile due to cost. Been canning a lot of stuff for a few years now.
... how does one can chicken wings?
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

disco.moon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:12 am
Yo no se.

I can't can anything with bones.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

stonedmegman wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:24 am
Yo no se.

Why? Spillage?
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Antknot wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:12 am
stonedmegman wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:24 am
Yo no se.

Why? Spillage?
Because the heat can't penetrate enough to prevent botulism.