Chicago

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Chicago

Post by saltydog »

Tell me about your recommendations.

Bullet proof vests are already on the list.
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Chicago

Post by Animal »

don't let anyone talk you into getting on a train they call the L train.
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Animal wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:50 am don't let anyone talk you into getting on a train they call the L train.
Why?
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

They call it the Miracle Mile, because if you walk it and don't get mugged it's a miracle.
QANON IS JUST SCIENTOLOGY FOR HILLBILLIES
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

stonedmegman wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:13 am They call it the Miracle Mile, because if you walk it and don't get mugged it's a miracle.
Is this related to Animal's post above?
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Animal wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:50 am don't let anyone talk you into getting on a train they call the L train.
Shouldn’t that be “El”? Short for elevated.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Head South in the city. Always South. When they assault you with the guns held sideways, you've made it.
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:18 am Head South in the city. Always South. When they assault you with the guns held sideways, you've made it.
I've always wanted to go to a White Sox game.
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

Navy pier. Take a leap of faith.
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Antknot wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:24 am Navy pier. Take a leap of faith.
Should I live stream it?
Antknot

Post by Antknot »

saltydog wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:25 am
Antknot wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:24 am Navy pier. Take a leap of faith.
Should I live stream it?
No. There is too much junk on the internet as it is.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

Museum of Science and Industry

There’s an exhibit of embryos to infants, one every 2 weeks or so, in huge jars. Enjoy thinking about the wet work when one isn’t wanted at a perfectly reasonable 20 or so weeks.
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

saltydog wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:23 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:18 am Head South in the city. Always South. When they assault you with the guns held sideways, you've made it.
I've always wanted to go to a White Sox game.
:lol:
Cyberhonky
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by Cyberhonky »

O'Hare airport is my #1 most hated airport
Vote for Pedro
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

Stay out of black neighborhoods and you'll be fine.

I don't intend or mean this as a slur against black people. It's not even about black people. It's about geography, and the facts show that the overwhelming majority of the weekly shootings happen in black neighborhoods.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Charliesheen wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:42 am Museum of Science and Industry

There’s an exhibit of embryos to infants, one every 2 weeks or so, in huge jars. Enjoy thinking about the wet work when one isn’t wanted at a perfectly reasonable 20 or so weeks.
I'll ask questions and take notes.
BigChiefin
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by BigChiefin »

Cyberhonky wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:36 am O'Hare airport is my #1 most hated airport
Agreed. Spent way too many hours delayed there when connecting over the years. Now when I look at flights, any that connect in ORD are a no-go.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Cyberhonky wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:36 am O'Hare airport is my #1 most hated airport
I have only been through that airport one time. I remember this long walk from my gate to a rental car desk and on the way some guy gives me a "Pssst". He's over against the wall with literally a trench coat . He opens up the coat and has all of these watches and stuff for sale. I thought it was a halloween costume. I remember thinking, "Wow, they really do this."
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

BigChiefin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:17 pm
Agreed. Spent way too many hours delayed there when connecting over the years. Now when I look at flights, any that connect in ORD are a no-go.
Though the idea of taxiing in an airliner over major highways was fascinating IMHO.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

This is worth checking out. American terminal maybe.

On his first firing pass, he took out two of the crafts temporarily, but they quickly extinguished the fires his guns lit. However, on his second firing pass, he was able to incapacitate one of the planes, while sinking another into the sea. It was on his third pass where he did the most damage. He took out the squadron’s second-in-command, leaving the squadron leader completely exposed. He then blew a massive hole in the wing of the squadron’s commanding officer. The leader’s craft plummeted into the sea. His final firing pass attempted to take one of the planes from the first pass out of commission for good, but by this time he was out of ammunition.

He was unhappy – there were still bombers in the sky. But he got out of the way so that the aircraft carrier could fire some of its own ordnance at the remaining bombers. Despite his disappointment, he likely saved the aircraft carriers. Even the remaining craft in the air had to drop their ordnance and return to base, with nothing substantial hitting its target.

When the dust settled, there was some disagreement about what he hit and how badly he damaged it, but in the final analysis, it was determined that O’Hare hit six – three of which crashed and three of which were badly damaged. On descent, he was fired upon by his own gunner, which prompted him to say upon landing, "Son, if you don't stop shooting at me when I've got my wheels down, I'm going to have to report you to the gunnery officer."

The math works out to about 60 rounds of ammunition for each bomber he destroyed, which is a highly impressive rate of marksmanship by any definition. He was credited
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Charliesheen wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:32 pm This is worth checking out. American terminal maybe.

On his first firing pass, he took out two of the crafts temporarily, but they quickly extinguished the fires his guns lit. However, on his second firing pass, he was able to incapacitate one of the planes, while sinking another into the sea. It was on his third pass where he did the most damage. He took out the squadron’s second-in-command, leaving the squadron leader completely exposed. He then blew a massive hole in the wing of the squadron’s commanding officer. The leader’s craft plummeted into the sea. His final firing pass attempted to take one of the planes from the first pass out of commission for good, but by this time he was out of ammunition.

He was unhappy – there were still bombers in the sky. But he got out of the way so that the aircraft carrier could fire some of its own ordnance at the remaining bombers. Despite his disappointment, he likely saved the aircraft carriers. Even the remaining craft in the air had to drop their ordnance and return to base, with nothing substantial hitting its target.

When the dust settled, there was some disagreement about what he hit and how badly he damaged it, but in the final analysis, it was determined that O’Hare hit six – three of which crashed and three of which were badly damaged. On descent, he was fired upon by his own gunner, which prompted him to say upon landing, "Son, if you don't stop shooting at me when I've got my wheels down, I'm going to have to report you to the gunnery officer."

The math works out to about 60 rounds of ammunition for each bomber he destroyed, which is a highly impressive rate of marksmanship by any definition. He was credited
An F4F Wildcat in a livery identical to the aircraft flown by O'Hare, ("White F-15") is currently on display in Terminal 2. The display was formally opened on the seventy-fifth anniversary of his Medal of Honor flight.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_O%27Hare

P.S. It says that it looks identical to the Wildcat O'Hare was in when he flew the mission that got him the MOH. I actually have trouble believing a Navy plane of the era would be green and not Navy Blue though.

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/page ... around-ww2

This says:
Early Grumman aircraft had extensive use of "Grumman Gray", a light gray primer of their own formula.
So it was likely gray?
jsdspif
Tells *VERY* interesting (but true) stories.

Post by jsdspif »

When I was around 8 or so,lets just say about 1970,somewhere around there,i was there with my parents and I think my mom had to go to the bathroom or something,all I remember is my dad and I were sitting down waiting for her and my dad said "who's this guy coming this way",so I look and it was Muhammad Ali,by himself.My dad got out his little spiral notebook and mechanical pencil and said "run up there and get his autograph" but I was afraid to. I suppose nowdays a guy like that would probably have some bodyguards with him.When he walked by us he was just a few steps away and my dad said Hi to him and he just smiled and said Hi. He seemed like a pretty good egg.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

jsdspif wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:50 pm
When I was around 8 or so,lets just say about 1970,somewhere around there,i was there with my parents and I think my mom had to go to the bathroom or something,all I remember is my dad and I were sitting down waiting for her and my dad said "who's this guy coming this way",so I look and it was Muhammad Ali,by himself.My dad got out his little spiral notebook and mechanical pencil and said "run up there and get his autograph" but I was afraid to. I suppose nowdays a guy like that would probably have some bodyguards with him.When he walked by us he was just a few steps away and my dad said Hi to him and he just smiled and said Hi. He seemed like a pretty good egg.
i don't think my dad would have pissed on Muhammad Ali if he was on fire in 1970. It took him a while to get over the draft dodging stuff. Maybe in 1980....
WarmBidetWater
Forum God

Post by WarmBidetWater »

We did 360 Chicago last year.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

I'll be in Chicago in Sept. I lived there for 3 years, but the girlfriend hasn't been. I figure we will do the architectural tour and eat some really good food.