Elvis

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

DiverTexas
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Elvis

Post by DiverTexas »

Has anyone seen the new movie?

The wife just informed me that we will be seeing it next week.
I always enjoyed his music as a kid, just not certain how accurate the depiction of his actual life will be.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Elvis

Post by Animal »

DiverTexas wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:00 am Has anyone seen the new movie?

The wife just informed me that we will be seeing it next week.
I always enjoyed his music as a kid, just not certain how accurate the depiction of his actual life will be.
his wife and family thought it was amazing. which is rare for a family of a biography to say. and I would bang priscilla, so her opinion means a lot.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

We saw it last week. Its decent. A bit too long but generally entertaining.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
jsdspif
Tells *VERY* interesting (but true) stories.

Post by jsdspif »

does it mention that the col. was not a citizen of the United States and that if he left the country he probably wouldn't be able to come back? That's why Elvis only toured in the states. Imagine if he would have been able to tour the world.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

jsdspif wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:38 am does it mention that the col. was not a citizen of the United States and that if he left the country he probably wouldn't be able to come back? That's why Elvis only toured in the states. Imagine if he would have been able to tour the world.
Yes, thats a big plot point in the movie toward the end.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:07 pm
jsdspif wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:38 am does it mention that the col. was not a citizen of the United States and that if he left the country he probably wouldn't be able to come back? That's why Elvis only toured in the states. Imagine if he would have been able to tour the world.
The movie got one thing wrong though (i hear). Elvis never learned that Parker was not a US citizen.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Animal wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:31 pm
The movie got one thing wrong though (i hear). Elvis never learned that Parker was not a US citizen.
If I remember correctly towards the end I believe some members of Elvis' "Memphis Mafia" make it known to him. Whether Elvis believes them or not is unclear I think. TBH at that point I was just hoping the movie would end soon so my attention level was half hearted. Dont get me wrong...overall the movie was good. Its just about a half hour too long.
I lean toward Elvis probably knew as he wanted to expand his tours but Parker balked. Parker said Elvis would have to divest in the partnership and would cost him millions if he did it. Once Elvis found out it would basically bankrupt him if he left the Parker arrangement he maintained the status quo.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:52 pm
If I remember correctly towards the end I believe some members of Elvis' "Memphis Mafia" make it known to him. Whether Elvis believes them or not is unclear I think. TBH at that point I was just hoping the movie would end soon so my attention level was half hearted. Dont get me wrong...overall the movie was good. Its just about a half hour too long.
I lean toward Elvis probably knew as he wanted to expand his tours but Parker balked. Parker said Elvis would have to divest in the partnership and would cost him millions if he did it. Once Elvis found out it would basically bankrupt him if he left the Parker arrangement he maintained the status quo.
I don't know (in that post) if you are talking about "in real life" or in the movie. I was just pointing out that I have read that in real life Elvis died not knowing of Parker’s illegal status
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Animal wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:49 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:52 pm
I don't know (in that post) if you are talking about "in real life" or in the movie. I was just pointing out that I have read that in real life Elvis died not knowing of Parker’s illegal status
Thats the movie version of events. I have read a couple of Elvis biography's but I dont really remember them covering much of that. I do recall while watching the movie that I was hoping that they'd get into some of the more comical exploits of the "Memphis Mafia" detailed in the books. Alas, they didnt get into that too much.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

I remember seeing one of his famous flashy jumpsuits somewhere and thinking how small it was. Especially for how fat he reportedly was during that era. It looked like it was made for a guy about 5'6". Google tells me that his normal size was 6' and about 170 lbs- which seems kinda thin.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

I have always had Elvis in my top 3 of male singers.

There are no male singers in my top 10.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:19 pm I have always had Elvis in my top 3 of male singers.

:?
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:19 pm I have always had Elvis in my top 3 of male singers.

hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

DON'T TWIST MY WORDS!!!!!!!1