Best veggie recipes

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

JCW
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Re: Best veggie recipes

Post by JCW »

squirt wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:39 pm
hawkfan8812 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:25 pm Vegetarian chili is better than chili con carne.
Thank you!!!!
What do you put in yours? I don't like mushrooms but I'm open to pretty much anything else. Always looking for other protein sources as well. Been eating a lot of nuts and seeds, dairy and eggs for now.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
squirt
More Anal, Less Shenanigans
Interests: sleep

Post by squirt »

JCW wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:45 pm
squirt wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:39 pm
hawkfan8812 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:25 pm Vegetarian chili is better than chili con carne.
Thank you!!!!
What do you put in yours? I don't like mushrooms but I'm open to pretty much anything else. Always looking for other protein sources as well. Been eating a lot of nuts and seeds, dairy and eggs for now.
I haven't made chili in forever, but stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, lots of Mexican spices, and usually red kidney beans. I actually have a couple yummy things to post in this thread. I will get to it at some point for sure. (I hate mushrooms, too! :right: )
squirt
More Anal, Less Shenanigans
Interests: sleep

Post by squirt »

These are fucking delicious!!

JCW

Post by JCW »

squirt wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:13 am These are fucking delicious!!

I'll have to see if I can find that brand here, but kiddo and I both enjoy the plant-based burgers the best out of any non-meats for sure.
FreakShowFanatic wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 pm The one thing you know is that I always liked you and I'm impressed with you. You deserve the best.
JCW

Post by JCW »

Geist wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:52 pm Cheese and mushroom tacos are great too.

-tortilla of choice (corn is best imo)
-sautee mushrooms, season to liking
-cut 1/4" thick spices of panela/paneer, fry them until golden
-make the taco
I finally tried paneer at the Indian place, cant say I was a fan of the texture of large cubes in this spinach/mint sauce. Does frying it change the texture to something more palatable?
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

JCW wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:51 pm
Geist wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:52 pm Cheese and mushroom tacos are great too.

-tortilla of choice (corn is best imo)
-sautee mushrooms, season to liking
-cut 1/4" thick spices of panela/paneer, fry them until golden
-make the taco
I finally tried paneer at the Indian place, cant say I was a fan of the texture of large cubes in this spinach/mint sauce. Does frying it change the texture to something more palatable?
Frying/browning cheese always makes it better. No one wants a pizza that's lacking brown bubbles.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

I'm gonna give you the recipe for my Grandpa Kirill's recipe for Okrashka, a summer soup that is served cold. It typically has chopped ham in it, but I'll omit that for your vegetarian issues.

Okrashka
8 cups of cold water
one-third cup of sour cream
three and a half tablespoons of vinegar
two and a half teaspoons of salt
3 cooked potatoes (yukon gold is best, but any are okay), peeled and diced
3 hard-boiled eggs, diced
3 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
one-half cup of green onion, finely chopped
one-half pound of ham, diced
3 cucumbers, diced

1. Put the potatoes in a pot and cover them with water. Add 1 tablespoon of the vinegar and bring this to a boil, then continue boiling until the potatoes are cooked soft. It should take like 10 minutes.
2. Find a garbage can and throw the cucumbers and onions directly into it because gross.
3. Put the eggs, potatoes and dill into another pot.
4. Mix the sour cream, salt, 8 cups of cold water, and the rest of the vinegar together in a bowl.
5. Pour that mixture into the pot with the potatoes. Mix it up and enjoy.

If you can find kefir where you live (it's sort of a drinkable yogurt-type thing), substitute it for the sour cream and your okrashka will be even better. Just make sure you use the plain kind, not the kinds with fruit or chocolate or anything.
Also, feel free to add shredded carrots for a little crunch. I've heard of people adding shredded turnips as well, but I've never tried it that way.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
JCW

Post by JCW »

^^ this almost sounds like potato salad. I'm glad you mentioned throwing away the cucumber because I fully agree!

I made a shepherds pie last night with mashed potato and butternut squash for the top layer, then fake ground beef, hemp hearts, frozen mixed veggies, broccoli and spinach for the "meat" layer. It was very tasty and you cant even tell it was vegetarian (almost vegan other than the milk in the mashed potatoes).
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Vegan is a Mohawk word for poor hunter.
QANON IS JUST SCIENTOLOGY FOR HILLBILLIES
JCW

Post by JCW »

BigRedRetard wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:40 pm
JCW wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:16 pm ^^ this almost sounds like potato salad. I'm glad you mentioned throwing away the cucumber because I fully agree!

I made a shepherds pie last night with mashed potato and butternut squash for the top layer, then fake ground beef, hemp hearts, frozen mixed veggies, broccoli and spinach for the "meat" layer. It was very tasty and you cant even tell it was vegetarian (almost vegan other than the milk in the mashed potatoes).
Shepherds pie has lamb. Cottage pie has beef. I have no idea what kind of pie that is.
Fuckin tasty and full of fiber, that's what it is.
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

BigRedRetard wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:18 pm
JCW wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:59 pm
JCW wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:16 pm ^^ this almost sounds like potato salad. I'm glad you mentioned throwing away the cucumber because I fully agree!

Shepherds pie has lamb. Cottage pie has beef. I have no idea what kind of pie that is.
Lets come up with a new name. How about Gardener's pie.
Yeah, no shit. Thats nothing close to either cottage or shepards pie.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

BigRedRetard wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:18 pm
JCW wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:59 pm

Lets come up with a new name. How about Gardener's pie.
Frottage pie
JCW

Post by JCW »

Biker wrote:
How is it not? Cottage pie would be made the exact same way except I added more veggies. Sorry the American fatass diet is so anti-vegetable.
Biker

Post by Biker »

JCW wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:00 pm
Biker wrote:
How is it not? Cottage pie would be made the exact same way except I added more veggies. Sorry the American fatass diet is so anti-vegetable.
Sure, I'll go along and play pretend. I'm having a ribeye steak and mash tonight

JCW

Post by JCW »

In a recipe with like 10 things, using fake meat invalidates the entire thing? I make lasagna with the fake meat too, does that need a new name as well??
Biker

Post by Biker »

JCW wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:11 pm In a recipe with like 10 things, using fake meat invalidates the entire thing? I make lasagna with the fake meat too, does that need a new name as well??
When youre adding things that completely alter the look, taste, and mouthfeel of the dish, then hell yes.
Biker

Post by Biker »

BigRedRetard wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:10 pm
Biker wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:08 pm
JCW wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:11 pm In a recipe with like 10 things, using fake meat invalidates the entire thing? I make lasagna with the fake meat too, does that need a new name as well??
When youre adding things that completely alter the look, taste, and mouthfeel of the dish, then hell yes.
I say no. The noodle is what makes it lasagna
Oh, I agree with the lasagna. I was talking about her bastardization of cottage pie
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Cottage pie sounds like something a cow would leave behind. Won't eat.
JCW

Post by JCW »

Have you tried the fake ground beef? Its literally identical to the real thing in every one of those categories.

Look, man. I'm trying new things for meals but I also have to adapt some old things I already know how to cook. It's hard to teach this old dog new tricks.
Biker

Post by Biker »

JCW wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:29 pm
Have you tried the fake ground beef? Its literally identical to the real thing in every one of those categories.

Look, man. I'm trying new things for meals but I also have to adapt some old things I already know how to cook. It's hard to teach this old dog new tricks.
Yes, I'm a big fan of Beyond products. Its not literally identical but the texture is very similar.

I've made this dish with Beyond and it turned out great. Only alterations I made was I replaced the tomato paste with Gochjang and doubled the mushrooms

Korean Bulgogi Bolognese

Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

Okay, it is most certainly not the same. I tried to go veg for like a year, and impossible meat made a good substitute but it noticably NOT the same. I like the burgers but they have to be loaded up with other things.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

Morningstar fake chicken is the shit though. Love their patties and nuggets, they taste like cafeteria chicken nuggets but without being made of pink slime.
Biker

Post by Biker »

BigRedRetard wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:44 pm
Biker wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:40 pm

Yes, I'm a big fan of Beyond products. Its not literally identical but the texture is very similar.

I've made this dish with Beyond and it turned out great. Only alterations I made was I replaced the tomato paste with Gochjang and doubled the mushrooms

Korean Bulgogi Bolognese

No meat? Not bolognese.
Fine

Korean Bulgogi Bullognese
JCW

Post by JCW »

Geist wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:43 pm Morningstar fake chicken is the shit though. Love their patties and nuggets, they taste like cafeteria chicken nuggets but without being made of pink slime.
So far all chicken and pork replacements I've tried are garbage. I tried tempeh bacon last week and it was 10 shades of awful. Beef seems to be the only thing that can be a passable fake.
Hydroseismic
Fish fear me, trannys love me.
Interests: Women with drinking problems/daddy issues.

Post by Hydroseismic »

Animal wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:33 pm 1 bag of pinto beams. 3/4 large white onion diced fine. 2 jalapenos diced fine (with seeds). about 2/3 of a gallon of water. Start with 1 T of salt and then add to taste. Put it all into a crock pot. Get it hot and then turn the heat to low and let it simmer for about 8 hours.

Make some cornbread and have lots of room temperature stick butter on hand.
You forgot the cilantro and garlic
Faith is simple medicine for desperate souls.