Should we care about the price of insulin?

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Should we care about the price of insulin?

Post by saltydog »

Republicans don't.
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Re: Should we care about the price of insulin?

Post by saltydog »

The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i think someone has forgotten that President Trump, by executive order, specifically lowered the price of insulin.

And, Joe Biden came along and did away with that executive order.
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast
Interests: Breasts

Post by Who »

Animal wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:35 pm i think someone has forgotten that President Trump, by executive order, specifically lowered the price of insulin.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/insul ... day-trump/

Claim
U.S. President Donald Trump issued an executive order in July 2020 that will lower the price Americans pay for insulin to "pennies a day."
Rating
Mixture
Mixture
About this rating
What's True
Trump issued an executive order in July 2020 that was intended to lower the price of insulin for some Americans.

What's False
Rather than targeting all diabetic patients nationwide, the directive was written to help low-income diabetes patients of certain community clinics, who are uninsured or underinsured, to buy insulin at reduced prices. Also, no verifiable evidence suggests that the lower costs would amount to "pennies a day" for anyone.

What's Undetermined
Exactly how much money some diabetes patients could save on insulin daily as a result of the directive is unknown because the order did not outline specifics, including when or how it would be implemented.
A Legend In His Own Mind

All Posts Fair & Balanced
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Who wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:42 pm
Animal wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:35 pm i think someone has forgotten that President Trump, by executive order, specifically lowered the price of insulin.

Claim
U.S. President Donald Trump issued an executive order in July 2020 that will lower the price Americans pay for insulin to "pennies a day."
Rating
Mixture
Mixture
About this rating
What's True
Trump issued an executive order in July 2020 that was intended to lower the price of insulin for some Americans.

What's False
Rather than targeting all diabetic patients nationwide, the directive was written to help low-income diabetes patients of certain community clinics, who are uninsured or underinsured, to buy insulin at reduced prices. Also, no verifiable evidence suggests that the lower costs would amount to "pennies a day" for anyone.

What's Undetermined
Exactly how much money some diabetes patients could save on insulin daily as a result of the directive is unknown because the order did not outline specifics, including when or how it would be implemented.
you stupid fuck. first, who said "pennies a day"? :lol:

he lowered the price of insulin for people that don't have medicare or insurance to get lower prices for them. basically he lowered it for the people that have to pay cash for insulin, so that they pay the same as what those big health care companies pay.

snopes doesn't need to look into that. That's just a fact. Executive orders are only about 1 page long. they aren't complicated.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/DCP ... 000539.pdf
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast

Post by Who »

Animal wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:53 pm
Who wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:42 pm

Claim
Rating
Mixture
Mixture
About this rating
What's True

What's False

What's Undetermined
you stupid fuck. first, who said "pennies a day"? :lol:

he lowered the price of insulin for people that don't have medicare or insurance to get lower prices for them. basically he lowered it for the people that have to pay cash for insulin, so that they pay the same as what those big health care companies pay.

snopes doesn't need to look into that. That's just a fact. Executive orders are only about 1 page long. they aren't complicated.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/DCP ... 000539.pdf
I'm guessing you didn't read your link.? Nothing in there to guide companies what to charge.
Another useless move by a useless president.
A Legend In His Own Mind

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Who wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:59 pm I'm guessing you didn't read your link.? Nothing in there to guide companies what to charge.
Sec. 2. Policy. It is the policy of the United States to enable Americans without access to
affordable insulin and injectable epinephrine through commercial insurance or Federal programs,
such as Medicare and Medicaid, to purchase these pharmaceuticals from an FQHC at a price that
aligns with the cost at which the FQHC acquired the medication.

It states exactly what they can charge. "People have to be able to purchase insulin at the same price that the FQHC pays for the medication".
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

So, it's fine that $35 insulin costs everyday Americans over $1000?

Exploiting costs? Yet another staple of Republican politics.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

saltydog wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:07 am

what in the fuck are you talking about?
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast

Post by Who »

Animal wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:04 am
Who wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:59 pm I'm guessing you didn't read your link.? Nothing in there to guide companies what to charge.
Sec. 2. Policy. It is the policy of the United States to enable Americans without access to
affordable insulin and injectable epinephrine through commercial insurance or Federal programs,
such as Medicare and Medicaid, to purchase these pharmaceuticals from an FQHC at a price that
aligns with the cost at which the FQHC acquired the medication.

It states exactly what they can charge. "People have to be able to purchase insulin at the same price that the FQHC pays for the medication".
Sec. 3. Improving the Availability of Insulin and Injectable Epinephrine for the Uninsured.
To the extent permitted by law, the Secretary of Health and Human Services shall take action to
ensure future grants available under section 330(e) of the Public Health Service Act, as amended,
42 U.S.C. 254b(e), are conditioned upon FQHCs' having established practices to make insulin
and injectable epinephrine available at the discounted price paid by the FQHC grantee or subgrantee under the 340B Prescription Drug Program (plus a minimal administration fee) to
individuals with low incomes, as determined by the Secretary, who:
(a) have a high cost sharing requirement for either insulin or injectable epinephrine;
(b) have a high unmet deductible; or
(c) have no health care insurance.
Sec. 4. General Provisions. (a) Noth
A Legend In His Own Mind

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

wow.
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast

Post by Who »

Animal wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:25 amwow.
So how much were the poors paying with this executive order?
A Legend In His Own Mind

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Who wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:26 am
well:

1. i am not a poor
2. I don't use or buy insulin.
3. I have no idea what price the FQHC paid for insulin.

BUT, if the FQHC paid $3 per pill for insulin, then I would assume the poors paid around $3.50 (added a minimal administrative fees). Or if the FQHC paid $0.10 per pill, i would assume the poors paid around $0.12 per pill. Etc.
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast

Post by Who »

Animal wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:29 am
Who wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:26 am
well:

1. i am not a poor
2. I don't use or buy insulin.
3. I have no idea what price the FQHC paid for insulin.

BUT, if the FQHC paid $3 per pill for insulin, then I would assume the poors paid around $3.50 (added a minimal administrative fees). Or if the FQHC paid $0.10 per pill, i would assume the poors paid around $0.12 per pill. Etc.
I have no idea, but for whatever reason I don't think this executive order reduced insulin that much.
A Legend In His Own Mind

saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Animal wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:09 am
saltydog wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:07 am

what in the fuck are you talking about?
I ask that every time you post Mr. Narrative Shifter.
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast

Post by Who »

A Legend In His Own Mind

Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast

Post by Who »

A long read, plenty of graphs
https://www.vox.com/2019/4/3/18293950/w ... -expensive

Drug companies haggle separately over drug prices with a variety of private insurers across the country. Meanwhile, Medicare, the government health program for those over age 65 — it’s also the nation’s largest buyer of drugs — is barred from negotiating drug prices.

That gives pharma more leverage, and it leads to the kind of price surges we’ve seen with EpiPens, recent opioid antidotes — and insulin.

Insulin manufacturers say the increases are just the price tag that comes with innovation — creating more effective insulin formulations for patients.

According to a 2017 Lancet paper on insulin price increases, “Older insulins have been successively replaced with newer, incrementally improved products covered by numerous additional patents.” The result is that more than 90 percent of privately insured patients with Type 2 diabetes in America are prescribed the latest and costliest versions of insulin.

But soaring prices for these newer formulations is out of step with how much they improve treatment for patients, said Yale endocrinologist Kasia Lipska. For Type 1 diabetes, newer formulations appear to be more effective at controlling blood sugar than older formulations. “For Type 2 diabetes, it’s less clear — the benefits are not as strong.”
A Legend In His Own Mind