Are you religious?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Re: Are you religious?

Post by disco.moon »

Deathproof wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:00 am I was raised Russian Orthodox but I bailed on it when I was 14. In 2015 I accepted President Donald J Trump as my Lord and Savior.
PRAISE HIM!!
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

Animal wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:51 am I have trouble finding any flaws in the Noah's Ark story. So, for that reason I'm pretty sold on all of it.
It's really not that far fetched.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

disco.moon wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:38 am
Animal wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:51 am I have trouble finding any flaws in the Noah's Ark story. So, for that reason I'm pretty sold on all of it.
I'm not here saying it 100% absolutely happened as the Bible describes but there is archeological evidence of a giant flood thousands of years ago and most ancient cultures, from different parts of the world, have lore about a massive flood- cultures who never would have any contact with each other. Coincidence? Sure, possibly. Like many things in the Bible it seems to me the story is a mix of truth and metaphor. The literal aspect is not the important part its more about what the story tries to teach.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
disco.moon
Simply Exhausting

Post by disco.moon »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:13 am
I'm not here saying it 100% absolutely happened as the Bible describes but there is archeological evidence of a giant flood thousands of years ago and most ancient cultures, from different parts of the world, have lore about a massive flood- cultures who never would have any contact with each other. Coincidence? Sure, possibly. Like many things in the Bible it seems to me the story is a mix of truth and metaphor. The literal aspect is not the important part its more about what the story tries to teach.
As a kid in Bible school that story was really pushed. I'm not sure the moral of the story....patience? Loving animals?

There's some Bible theme park with the Noah experience or something right?
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

disco.moon wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:36 am
As a kid in Bible school that story was really pushed. I'm not sure the moral of the story....patience? Loving animals?

Well, in theory the flood was God's punishment for not following God's way. Noah, his family and the animals were the only ones worthy of survival. Obviously thats all far-fetched.
I would gather the story tries to teach the benefits and sometimes hardships of living a righteous life. Now, I'm not a religious person but even I can see that despite many of the flaws within the Bible and its stories there are moral and relevant lessons to be learned/taught. These moral lessons, help to keep society peaceful and polite. I mean think of the 10 commandments. Most are not really religious at all-they simply help society run better and smoother:
Dont steal, dont kill, dont try to take your neighbors wife, honor your parents, dont commit adultry etc. All of those things transcend religion and help humans simply be...better.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:57 pm
disco.moon wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:36 am

Well, in theory the flood was God's punishment for not following God's way. Noah, his family and the animals were the only ones worthy of survival. Obviously thats all far-fetched.
I would gather the story tries to teach the benefits and sometimes hardships of living a righteous life. Now, I'm not a religious person but even I can see that despite many of the flaws within the Bible and its stories there are moral and relevant lessons to be learned/taught. These moral lessons, help to keep society peaceful and polite. I mean think of the 10 commandments. Most are not really religious at all-they simply help society run better and smoother:
Dont steal, dont kill, dont try to take your neighbors wife, honor your parents, dont commit adultry etc. All of those things transcend religion and help humans simply be...better.
I have always wondered why religions don't push those stories as "fables" rather than actual events. As fables they make perfect sense in the lessons that they are trying to teach. As actual events, not so much.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

I had a person I know do some horrendous shit Recently and her response was it’s all in gods hands now.

That’s the stuff that makes me want to hurt someone
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

BigRedRetard wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:07 pm
pork wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:56 pm I had a person I know do some horrendous shit Recently and her response was it’s all in gods hands now.

Christianity in general is horrendous. All that do not judge bullshit. And the worst crimes against humanity have been by Christians.
Dude, are you familiar with this cool thing commonly known as "history"?
Your assertion is patently and demonstrably false. I'm not defending Christians or Christianity just pointing out people doing bad shit to other people didn't start along with it.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Actually archeology evidence has shown there was was a giant flood several thousand years ago around the time the Bible and other cultures reported it. But it wasn't the "rain 40 days/40 nights" type flood. What happened was the Mediterranean Sea broke through an ancient rock/earth logjam (probably left over from the earlier Ice Ages) in the Bosporus Straight near present day Istanbul Turkey and rapidly refilled the Black Sea.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

BigRedRetard wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:02 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 pm
pork wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:56 pm I had a person I know do some horrendous shit Recently and her response was it’s all in gods hands now.

Christianity in general is horrendous. All that do not judge bullshit. And the worst crimes against humanity have been by Christians.
Your assertion is patently and demonstrably false. I'm not defending Christians or Christianity just pointing out people doing bad shit to other people didn't start along with it.
The Christians are responsible for more horrible deaths than anyone. All in the name of JESUS!
What total contrived BS. The Mongol Empire (Buddhism/Shamanism) would like to have a word with you.
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:59 pm Actually archeology evidence has shown there was was a giant flood several thousand years ago around the time the Bible and other cultures reported it.
"Several thousand years" is about the time of Caesar. The Great Bosporus Breach happened (still a conjecture) about 6800 BC, well before biblical times. That little goat-herder tribes in the Sinai and Canaan kept that little bit of possible history alive seems a little far-fetched.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:07 pm What total contrived BS. The Mongol Empire (Buddhism/Shamanism) would like to have a word with you.
On this I'll mostly agree. Almost a thousand years ago The Khan ravaged and depopulated vast areas of modern Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan to such a degree, those countries only got up to pre-Khan levels of population in the early 20th century. Deforested areas re-grew and changed the local weather patterns after a hundred years. Islam and Christianity (and to a certain extent, Judaism) were at a easy truce, and Khan essentially wiped out Christianity and knocked down an entire Muslim empire. Jews that had been in the area for millennia got pushed out (when they weren't killed) and moved into the relatively safe eastern Europe. He practically ended the whole Islamic Golden Age of collected wisdom of the ancient world.

Khan had almost no religious motive other than to collect his own empire.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

I would venture to say that any conqueror, during any time, was purely motivated by expanding his empire. No matter what kind of religious reasons he sold to the people.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

I had my father in law come to town with his wife. They live in South America and she doesn’t speak English but is a true practicing Christian. Sort of a Fanatical believer. We took them to eat at a really nice spot in Sausalito over looking the bay and its like 30 bucks for an appetizer and 50 bucks for an Entrée. If you get a nice steak cost you 100. So I knew this meal was going to cost me three or 400 bucks. No big deal… Until the food came and she made us all hold hands and pray. I started to laugh very cynically but she doesn’t understand English so as I talk shit she had no clue what was going on.

The true hypocrisy of it if you’ve studied any religion and understand the Bible or Christianity is that there was tons of contradictory. She ordered a lobster appetizer and a pork chop. In my mind it was like the perfect storm.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

A flood happened in a place a long time ago and people made stories about it. A flood also killed like 30 people in Kentucky a few weeks ago. Floods happen and they're not exactly mystifying.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

Except the ones done by Muslims.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

BigRedRetard wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:11 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:07 pm
BigRedRetard wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:02 pm
CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 pm

The Christians are responsible for more horrible deaths than anyone. All in the name of JESUS!
What total contrived BS. The Mongol Empire (Buddhism/Shamanism) would like to have a word with you.
Meh. Christians are the worse.
You've obviously never heard of muslims.
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

QillerDaemon wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:16 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:59 pm Actually archeology evidence has shown there was was a giant flood several thousand years ago around the time the Bible and other cultures reported it.
"Several thousand years" is about the time of Caesar. The Great Bosporus Breach happened (still a conjecture) about 6800 BC, well before biblical times. That little goat-herder tribes in the Sinai and Canaan kept that little bit of possible history alive seems a little far-fetched.
Even in the Bible, it was always considered in the far past.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:27 pm
The flood started on June 3, 2304 BC ± 11 years
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

BigRedRetard wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:29 pm
QillerDaemon wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:24 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:07 pm What total contrived BS. The Mongol Empire (Buddhism/Shamanism) would like to have a word with you.
On this I'll mostly agree. Almost a thousand years ago The Khan ravaged and depopulated vast areas of modern Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan to such a degree, those countries only got up to pre-Khan levels of population in the early 20th century. Deforested areas re-grew and changed the local weather patterns after a hundred years. Islam and Christianity (and to a certain extent, Judaism) were at a easy truce, and Khan essentially wiped out Christianity and knocked down an entire Muslim empire. Jews that had been in the area for millennia got pushed out (when they weren't killed) and moved into the relatively safe eastern Europe. He practically ended the whole Islamic Golden Age of collected wisdom of the ancient world.

Christianity is responsible for 50 million deaths in the name of Jesus alone. Thats a lot of people. Then add in a couple of world wars and you get the picture.
Again, 50 million deaths? The Mongol empire did that every year for decades. Depopulated (killed) huge areas from China on the Pacific through Russia into Eastern Europe and especially in the Middle East into India. I think you are looking at the wrong boogie man because of obvious prejudices.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:32 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:27 pm
The flood started on June 3, 2304 BC ± 11 years
Not sure of the dated archeology records- I'll go with this. Almost all humanity didn't have any written records until about 3,000 years ago. It was all oral traditions passed from one generation to the next. Probably why it showed up in so many ancient civilization's recollections.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:34 pm
BigRedRetard wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:29 pm

Christianity is responsible for 50 million deaths in the name of Jesus alone. Thats a lot of people. Then add in a couple of world wars and you get the picture.
Again, 50 million deaths? The Mongol empire did that every year for decades. Depopulated (killed) huge areas from China on the Pacific through Russia into Eastern Europe and especially in the Middle East into India. I think you are looking at the wrong boogie man because of obvious prejudices.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CTC thinks the Mongols killed a BILLION people.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Yeah, I can sure agree with that. In all my readings on the history of the Mongols, religion seemed important but nowhere did I ever read that their motivation was conquering in the name of their "God".
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:59 pm
Actually archeology evidence has shown there was was a giant flood several thousand years ago around the time the Bible and other cultures reported it. But it wasn't the "rain 40 days/40 nights" type flood. What happened was the Mediterranean Sea broke through an ancient rock/earth logjam (probably left over from the earlier Ice Ages) in the Bosporus Straight near present day Istanbul Turkey and rapidly refilled the Black Sea.
Weird how the Chinese, American Indians and other cultures nowhere near this location have ancient stories about this event, eh?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CHEEZY17 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:18 pm
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:59 pm
Weird how the Chinese, American Indians and other cultures nowhere near this location have ancient stories about this event, eh?
you aren't suggesting that there was enough water to flood the entire globe at the same time, are you?