This stat is just fucking crazy!

Other people doing physical activities

Moderator: hawkfan8812

saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Re: This stat is just fucking crazy!

Post by saltydog »

The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

I haven't watched much baseball the last couple of years and I have a question. What's the deal with the baserunners wearing that mitten/glove on their left hand?
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:45 am I haven't watched much baseball the last couple of years and I have a question. What's the deal with the baserunners wearing that mitten/glove on their left hand?
Hand/finger protection on head first slides and the potential for getting cleated by a defender. I'm not sure why specifically one over the other. Maybe to protect throwing hand?
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

saltydog wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:20 am
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:45 am I haven't watched much baseball the last couple of years and I have a question. What's the deal with the baserunners wearing that mitten/glove on their left hand?
Hand/finger protection on head first slides and the potential for getting cleated by a defender. I'm not sure why specifically one over the other. Maybe to protect throwing hand?
I thought protection against cleating was probably it, but why just the left hand? I tried to picture an MLB baserunner sliding head first but using their left hand first doesn't make sense unless it's because it's on the inside of the base. Could it possibly be to make a successful tag (dark mitten on white base) easier for the Ump to see? Didn't even notice the trend until the A/NDLS.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

What we are looking at when we see a base runner put on what looks like an oven mitt is a new evolution of safety equipment. The oven mitt — called, unsurprisingly, a sliding mitt, is a clever combination of two separate pieces of safety equipment that some baseball players wore to prevent injuries when sliding into a base.

Baseball is, on the whole, a very safe sport. The story from the late 1800s when both sports began in earnest in America is that baseball was played by the working class, who couldn’t afford to injure themselves, while football was played by the upper class whose lifestyle could sustain frequent broken bones. Perhaps the most common danger in baseball is sliding into a base. The speed with which players slide, combined with the great need to touch the base and keep touching it before the fielder gets the ball and steps on the base or tags them, leads to jammed or broken fingers and wrists and even torn wrist cartilage. More rare but still possible is a fielding player coming down on a runner’s hand with their baseball cleats. Ouch!

Baseball players have long had strategies to deal with these risks. Before the sliding mitt, players were taught to hold their batting gloves in their hands or even a fistful of dirt as a reminder to keep their hands in the air for as much of the sliding process as possible. For players who favor protective equipment, a slider’s wrist guard is and has been readily available for years. Like something you would have worn in the late 1990s when you learned how to roller blade, the wrist guard keeps the arm from bending back when it hits the base. The other element that the sliding mitt incorporates is rigid, often fiberglass, protection for the fingers. This evolved from a cast that Kansas City Royals player Scott Podsednik started wearing in 2008. Here’s Podsednik explaining it to the brilliant blog uni-watch:

It’s basically just a hard cast that I had fitted to my hand during the ’08 season. I had an injury to my thumb in ’03, and I started wearing a hard plastic piece to protect my thumb, for sliding head-first. I wore that and had no problems with it until ’08, when I ended up breaking my pinkie finger sliding into second base. Then I got with a hand therapist and she came up with this cast to protect all my fingers, including the thumb. She came up with it, it has worked perfectly, and I haven’t had any problems since.

After making fun of him, other players on his team and around the league began joining Podsednik in protecting themselves. Eventually, the combination rigid glove and wrist guard evolved into a single piece of equipment: the sliding mitt! The version that Whit Merrifield wears has metal rods to protect the fingers and a velcro strap to keep it from sliding off. Rajai Davis, who told MLB reporter Jason Beck that his mitt is “good for baking… baking on the bases.” also insisted that his sliding mitt had minimal padding at the tips of the fingers. Any more and it would give him an advantage by extending his reach toward a base and violate Major League Baseball glove regulations that apparently apply to mitts as well as gloves with fingers.

The sliding mitt has definitely become more common in the major leagues over the last few years. Soon, if the entrepreneurs who bought slidingmitt.com have their way, we’ll see sliding mitts on youth baseball fields across the country.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Thanks. Still wonder why the left hand. The only time I've ever worn a cast was after sliding head first into 3rd base- busted up my hand. My right hand.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Baseball and softball players can wear a durable sliding mitt on their left or right hand during a game. Some players choose to put the glove on their throwing hand to protect that, while others use the hand they tend to lead with during slides. Wearing it on your left hand or right hand comes down to the baseball player’s choice. Most of the time, players will only wear this mitt on one hand while keeping the other one free.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

one of the advantages isn't really talked about and that is the reach advantage it gives you. A player without a mitt would typically curl their fingers and not have them extended as they slide full speed toward a base. Its an instinct to not jam their fingers. But with a mitt, even if they did that, it wouldn't show because the mitt would still be extended.

But there are rules on the mitt and its length beyond the extended fingers. So you can't have some long ass mitt that gives you an added few inches to tag the base.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Alot of the guys wear them on both hands these days. If you are going to use them, that makes the most sense.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Burn1dwn wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:46 pm Alot of the guys wear them on both hands these days. If you are going to use them, that makes the most sense.
it reminds me of when bull riders first started wearing vests and helmets. At first it was just guys recovering from injuries and now you very seldom see anyone without it.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

:wavegreatbritain:
Animal wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:48 pm
Burn1dwn wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:46 pm Alot of the guys wear them on both hands these days. If you are going to use them, that makes the most sense.
it reminds me of when bull riders first started wearing vests and helmets. At first it was just guys recovering from injuries and now you very seldom see anyone without it.
I thought the brasilian cowboys started that trend.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Burn1dwn wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:55 pm :wavegreatbritain:
Animal wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:48 pm
I thought the brasilian cowboys started that trend.
they may have had more to do with it. I know that was all happening about the same time. There was also a shit load more money pouring into the competitions at that time. So I guess the bigger money was more incentive to stay healthy.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Don't let Salty know how much punishment those rodeo guys receive.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

B-Tender wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:38 pm Don't let Salty know how much punishment those rodeo guys receive.
Salty would have a meltdown just watching the mutton busting event.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:41 pm
B-Tender wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:38 pm Don't let Salty know how much punishment those rodeo guys receive.
:lol: All I know is that if I'm riding something that out weighs me 15:1 and will try to kill me if he gets a chance, I'm wearing all the safety equipment I can.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:43 pm
:lol: All I know is that if I'm riding something that out weighs me 15:1 and will try to kill me if he gets a chance, I'm wearing all the safety equipment I can.
That's what I used to think when I was riding your Mom.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:39 pm
At least now we have an idea of what your dates weighed back in High School.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:19 pm
Dude, when I nailed your Mom there were clowns in the room to keep her distracted while I remounted.
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Rodeo people don't feel pain.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:46 pm
Dude, when I nailed your Mom there were clowns in the room to keep her distracted while I remounted.
holy shit!!!!! :lol: :lol: LMFAO!
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:44 am

Animal was always fond of Yo Mamma jokes even though they are so 1990's.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:44 am

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

Animal wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:45 pm Image
Darwinism at its finest.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Cowboy Poker

You can tell SaltyD's there. Just listen for the high pitch girlie screaming in the background