Explain the Alaska District 1 at Large voting

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

Animal
The Great Pretender

Explain the Alaska District 1 at Large voting

Post by Animal »

So the democrat is way out in front with around 48.7% of the vote.

Then Sarah Palin (republican) at 25.8%.
Then Begich (republican) at 23.4%.

Then "Bye" at 1.7%

Plus there are more votes to count, its only at 87% so far. but, the way their rules state, you have to have a majority (over 50%), which no one has. If no one has that, then you drop out the lowest vote getter and redistribute their votes based on what each voter listed as their 2nd choice. I assume those would be the voters for "Bye". Which still probably wouldn't be enough for the democrat.

Then you drop out the next lowest person, which would be Begich. You would assume that his/her voters 2nd choice would be Palin, so she will get most of his votes. Which, depending on how many of Bye's votes she gets, puts her at around 50% or maybe a little over that.

What a complicated process.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Re: Explain the Alaska District 1 at Large voting

Post by Burn1dwn »

Put me down in the no Ranked-Choice Voting allowed camp like the state of Florida. RCV advocates are trying to turn elections into a Most Valuable Candidate contest. I am surprised this is the first I have ever heard of it.
Cassandros
Hamsterphile

Post by Cassandros »

Ranked voting isn't that complicated, and its benefits make the complexity worth it, IMHO.

It's the only way to give third parties choices a real chance in any given election.
“The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither, the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great deal of both.” --Milton Friedman
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i can see the logic behind that voting system, i just never heard of it. But I had to dig into that district to figure out why they weren't calling it already. They don't have run-offs, so I couldn't figure it out until i did some reading on the process.