World's Longest Running Experiment

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Bluespruce1964
Tomorrow's Best Poster
Interests: boating, fishing, dating, travel, music, trivia, crossword puzzles, coffee, reading, photography, swimming, grilling, smoking, building

World's Longest Running Experiment

Post by Bluespruce1964 »

https://smp.uq.edu.au/pitch-drop-experiment

In 1927 Professor Parnell heated a sample of pitch and poured it into a glass funnel with a sealed stem. He allowed the pitch to cool and settle for three years, and then in 1930 he cut the funnel's stem.

Since then, the pitch has slowly dripped out of the funnel - so slowly that it took eight years for the first drop to fall, and more than 40 years for another five to follow.

Now, 87 years after the funnel was cut, only nine drops have fallen - the last drop fell in April 2014 and we expect the next one to fall sometime in the 2020s.

The experiment was set up as a demonstration and is not kept under special environmental conditions - it's kept in a display cabinet - so the rate of flow of the pitch varies with seasonal changes in temperature.

The late Professor John Mainstone became the experiment's second custodian in 1961. He looked after the experiment for 52 years but, like his predecessor Professor Parnell, he passed away before seeing a drop fall.

In the 86 years that the pitch has been dripping, various glitches have prevented anyone from seeing a drop fall.

I thought glass was technically a fluid.
I'm up early.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: World's Longest Running Experiment

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Centennial Light is a light bulb at a fire station in Livermore, California has been burning continuously since 1901. Over 1 million hours.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Bluespruce1964 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:11 am https://smp.uq.edu.I'm/pitch-drop-experiment

In 1927 Professor Parnell heated a sample of pitch and poured it into a glass funnel with a sealed stem. He allowed the pitch to cool and settle for three years, and then in 1930 he cut the funnel's stem.

Since then, the pitch has slowly dripped out of the funnel - so slowly that it took eight years for the first drop to fall, and more than 40 years for another five to follow.

Now, 87 years after the funnel was cut, only nine drops have fallen - the last drop fell in April 2014 and we expect the next one to fall sometime in the 2020s.

The experiment was set up as a demonstration and is not kept under special environmental conditions - it's kept in a display cabinet - so the rate of flow of the pitch varies with seasonal changes in temperature.

The late Professor John Mainstone became the experiment's second custodian in 1961. He looked after the experiment for 52 years but, like his predecessor Professor Parnell, he passed away before seeing a drop fall.

In the 86 years that the pitch has been dripping, various glitches have prevented anyone from seeing a drop fall.

that seems like a pretty dumb experiment. i would think the drops would be huge. and after one falls, the remaining weight in the funnel would be less which would put less pressure on the next one. so, it would seem to be a geometric slowing of the drops until the weight is insufficient to force the viscosity of the material through the opening.
Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

Bluespruce1964 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:11 am https://smp.uq.edu.I'm/pitch-drop-experiment

The whole glass flows thing. Was due to ancient glass not being perfectly flat and the people that installed it putting the thicker side that down for reasons of physics and. And the lighter people not realizing this thought it had flowed down.
Bluespruce1964
Tomorrow's Best Poster
Interests: boating, fishing, dating, travel, music, trivia, crossword puzzles, coffee, reading, photography, swimming, grilling, smoking, building

Post by Bluespruce1964 »

Antknot wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:05 am

The whole glass flows thing. Was due to ancient glass not being perfectly flat and the people that installed it putting the thicker side that down for reasons of physics and. And the lighter people not realizing this thought it had flowed down.
danke schoen
I'm up early.