Space stuff

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Space stuff

Post by Animal »

stonedmegman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:03 pm
Animal wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:46 pm was this a rocket built by SpaceX? Also, did they land the main rocket back on earth like the reusable Falcon 9 rockets?
ULA is United Launch Alliance.
Yeah, I know its a conglomerate. But who built the rocket? Do they build rockets, too? Nevermind, I guess they do build it. Its hard to keep up with so many people doing so much right now. For some reason I thought I read that it was a SpaceX rocket they were using.
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Animal wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:46 pm was this a rocket built by SpaceX? Also, did they land the main rocket back on earth like the reusable Falcon 9 rockets?
ULA is a joint business venture between Boeing and Lockheed Martin. The rockets are not currently reusable. They are able to go to a higher orbit than the SpaceX rockets can. The military uses the higher orbits.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

B-Tender wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:47 pm
ULA is a joint business venture between Boeing and Lockheed Martin. The rockets are not currently reusable. They are able to go to a higher orbit than the SpaceX rockets can. The military uses the higher orbits.
Houston, do we have a problem? I am reading that they have abandoned the mission to land on the moon because of some damage to the lunar lander?
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

Animal wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:35 pm
Houston, do we have a problem? I am reading that they have abandoned the mission to land on the moon because of some damage to the lunar lander?
I read that there was a problem with the lunar lander not being oriented to the sun to charge its batteries. I'm not as up on that part of the mission. My son worked on the program for the Vulcan rocket, and he would update me with their progress.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

B-Tender wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:00 pm
I read that there was a problem with the lunar lander not being oriented to the sun to charge its batteries. I'm not as up on that part of the mission. My son worked on the program for the Vulcan rocket, and he would update me with their progress.
Lander successfully separated from it's rocket. Once they fired up the propulsion system to take it to the Moon, it suffered a catastrophic fuel loss that doomed the mission.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

Did he have an issue converting to Metric?
QANON IS JUST SCIENTOLOGY FOR HILLBILLIES
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

stonedmegman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:29 pm
Did he have an issue converting to Metric?
He kept telling me how many stones things weighed.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:49 pm
Lander successfully separated from it's rocket. Once they fired up the propulsion system to take it to the Moon, it suffered a catastrophic fuel loss that doomed the mission.
yep. this is now an orbiting piece of junk.
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

Animal wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:45 pm
Probably a fuel pump. Instead of just mixing gases whatever that's called.
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

The Navajos put a curse on it. They didn't wan the remains to go to the moon.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:03 am
Animal wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:45 pm

Probably a fuel pump. Instead of just mixing gases whatever that's called.
It as a fuel LEAK if you paid attention.

CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet

English- Do you speak it?
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

CTC is a rocket scientist. :lol:
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

from the looks of that body damage, I'm going to bet a woman was flying the controls when it happened.
B-Tender

Post by B-Tender »

Animal wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:11 am from the looks of that body damage, I'm going to bet a woman was flying the controls when it happened.
A woman from Florida at that.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

stonedmegman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:38 am CTC is a rocket scientist. :lol:
Remember when he said the Webb telescope is covered in lead. :lol:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

This has some potential. The link says "20 hours until live feed starts".

Its the Japanese about to land on the moon. And it seems they are going to have live feeds going during the landing.

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency’s Smart Lander for Investigating Moon, or SLIM, is expected to touch down on the lunar surface at 10:20 a.m. ET Friday. If successful, SLIM’s landing will mark Japan’s first time putting a robotic explorer on the moon’s surface — and make it the third country to achieve such a feat in the 21st century, and the fifth country to soft-land a spacecraft on the moon since the Soviet Luna 9 mission in 1966.

The spacecraft, also nicknamed the “Moon Sniper” for its precision technology, will begin its descent toward the lunar surface at 10 a.m. ET. The landing will be streamed live on YouTube in Japanese and English.

“The start of the deceleration to the landing on the Moon’s surface is expected to be a breathless, numbing 20 minutes of terror,” said Kenji Kushiki, the subproject manager of the SLIM mission, in a statement.

The small-scale exploration lander is designed to demonstrate a “pinpoint” landing at a specific location.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i think its about 30 min before the "20 minutes of terror" begin.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

The SLIM has landed!
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Was it terrifying?
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
stonedmegman
In Search of vitamin T

Post by stonedmegman »

I was so terrified I couldn't even watch.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:27 pm Was it terrifying?
I really thought they would have some kind of live feed camera set up that showed the entire approach from the space craft. But it was all just animated stuff. Very boring actually.

Its mind blowing that in 1969 we had televised cameras showing stuff as it happened and now in 2024 we have to use cartoons.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

they are sure waiting a long time to confirm that the landing was okay.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

soft landing was successful, in that they are getting data and communicating with the SLIM. HOWEVER............... the solar panels are not working so it is not generating power. That means they are operating it off of batteries and the amount of charge they had when it landed. So, unless they can get the solar panel working, its time is limited. I think they said that the two "robots" that move around the moon were detached successfully, but it will be a while before they get any data from them.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Okay, tomorrow, Feb 22, 2024, Thursday.

USA will attempt to soft land Odyssius on the moon.