Your earthquake risk?

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

Ricrude
No life apart from this stupid forum board
Interests: Drinking, gambling, running around with the wrong crowd, pranks...typical UJ stuff.

Your earthquake risk?

Post by Ricrude »

What’s the Earthquake Risk in Your City? This Interactive Map Shows You
Story by Ellen Gutoskey • Yesterday 11:00 AM

f you live near, say, California’s San Andreas Fault, you’re probably aware that there’s a high risk of earthquakes in your area. But even in places where seismic activity doesn’t often make the news, there’s still some level of risk.

CNN recently published an interactive map of the U.S. that helps define those levels. Basically, you enter a location in the search box and the map will tell you its risk level: lowest, very low, low, moderate, high, very high, and highest.

Those categories are all color-coded, from dark blue to light blue to yellow to orange to red, so a zoomed-out look at the map gives you a handy overview of all the hot spots (and cold spots) in the country. Unsurprisingly, the West Coast is nearly all red, from the southern tip of California to the northern tip of Washington.

Another highest-risk area is the New Madrid Seismic Zone, which covers parts of Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Arkansas, and Missouri. Most of the East Coast boasts varying shades of blue, but there’s a sizable red patch around Charleston, South Carolina. And if you want to keep your chances of experiencing an earthquake as low as possible, you should move to North Dakota, Minnesota, or Michigan—or, for warmer weather, South Texas or South Florida.

To make the map, creators Byron Manley, Matt Stiles, and Renée Rigdon used a 2018 map from the U.S. Geological Survey that determined regional earthquake risk levels “based on seismicity and fault-slip rates” as well as “the frequency of earthquakes of various magnitudes.”

Explore the map—and find out what your city or town’s earthquake risk level is—here.

This article was originally published on mentalfloss.com as What’s the Earthquake Risk in Your City? This Interactive Map Shows You.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/23/us/us-ea ... isk-map-dg
It is absolutely amazing that some people survive walking out of their homes...fo reelz!
Ricrude
Interests: Drinking, gambling, running around with the wrong crowd, pranks...typical UJ stuff.

Re: Your earthquake risk?

Post by Ricrude »

Memphis TN. was intriguing...knew about Charleston SC but did not realize the magnitude of the fault.
It is absolutely amazing that some people survive walking out of their homes...fo reelz!
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

I'm in Wisconsin. I know what the Chances are
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i am pretty satisfied with that map.
Ricrude

Post by Ricrude »

Animal wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:10 pm i am pretty satisfied with that map.
We have friends in Boerne that will be ecstatic...
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Ricrude wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:18 pm
pronounced - BUR - nee
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Meh, I'll take my chances.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

i am a little surprised though. several years ago they were having earthquakes all of the time down around Cleburne and even up into Irving. Like every week or two. But they claimed it was because of fracking. They were pretty actively fracking gas wells at that time. I think the price of gas is down now to where there's not as much of it. The headlines and news stories about earthquakes has completely gone away.
Ricrude

Post by Ricrude »

Animal wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:21 pm
pronounced - BUR - nee
Yes...they have a pretty good brewery there...also giraffes.
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

We believe in CNN again?
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Those pesky volcanic eruptions really confound the results. Just sayin'
Ricrude

Post by Ricrude »

saltydog wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:35 pm We believe in CNN again?
I don't think earthquakes have a political agenda...
Ricrude

Post by Ricrude »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:39 pm Those pesky volcanic eruptions really confound the results. Just sayin'
Those bastards!
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

B-Tender wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:21 pm Meh, I'll take my chances.
Damn straight! I happily live within 7 miles of the San Andreas. I worry about earthquakes as much as I used to worry about Saddam Hussein ruling Iraq. Never. Seems like a fair trade off to live in one of the best locations on earth.
hawkfan8812
Seattle's Finest!

Post by hawkfan8812 »

Burn1dwn wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:35 pm
Damn straight! I happily live within 7 miles of the San Andreas. I worry about earthquakes as much as I used to worry about Saddam Hussein ruling Iraq. Never. Seems like a fair trade off to live in one of the best locations on earth.
How many earthquakes have you felt living there?
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

I am in the Sf Bay Area. I will take earthquakes over hurricanes and tornadoes. We were in a cat 3 hurricane in Mexico and that shit was brutal
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

pork wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:17 pm I am in the Sf Bay Area. I will take earthquakes over hurricanes and tornadoes. We were in a cat 3 hurricane in Mexico and that shit was brutal
Here's the thing, though. With hurricanes and tornadoes, you can see them coming away off. With earthquakes, you could be sleeping at 3AM and the whole house comes down on top of you. No thanks to that warning time.
Blast
Blast-A-Ho
Interests: Boobs, metal, boobs

Post by Blast »

pork wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:17 pm I am in the Sf Bay Area. I will take earthquakes over hurricanes and tornadoes. We were in a cat 3 hurricane in Mexico and that shit was brutal
Hardest part of a hurricane is making sure I had enough booze.
If life were fair every guy's dick would be the same size.
rule34

Post by rule34 »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:45 pm
Here's the thing, though. With tornadoes, you can see them coming away off.
Are you really this stupid?
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
Ricrude

Post by Ricrude »

Been through several hurricanes here in the south...when it gets above 3 it's time to leave the coast. Unless the liquor cabinet is full...then it makes it a little easier to watch the roof go bye-bye...
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

rule34 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:13 pm
I mean there are hurricane/tornado watches/warnings sometimes days in advance. Try to keep up, Kansas
rule34

Post by rule34 »

CentralTexasCrude wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:29 pm
rule34 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:13 pm
I mean there are hurricane/tornado watches/warnings sometimes days in advance. Try to keep up, Kansas
My question stands.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

Here's the thing, though. With hurricanes and tornadoes, you can see them coming away off. With earthquakes, you could be sleeping at 3AM and the whole house comes down on top of you. No thanks to that warning time.
maybe it was lack of communication. we were at a resort in mexico and we saw the workers boarding up the place and putting in steel covers over the glass around noon. about 6:00 pm the shit got real and the winds were over 100mph. we got the evacuation call at 6:30 as we were getting led to the storm shelter we saw concrete slabs getting thrown around like frisbees. it pulled trees out of the ground and blew them away. we were in the shelter for almost 24 hours. we were told the eye passed over the resort and winds were over 130 mph. when we got out it looked like what happens when hawk tears through a buffet. earthquakes are easy. they hit and are over in like a minute much like your sex life.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

hawkfan8812 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:02 pm
Burn1dwn wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:35 pm
How many earthquakes have you felt living there.
I have felt 3 in my life that I actually had time to get under a table or in a doorway. Two were over 7.1s (one was 27 miles from me and 6th largest CA quake on record). One was in the 6.7 range but 100 miles away.

I felt the others only because I was sitting down when they happened. None of them scared me enough to worry about them but I don't live in the concrete jungle.
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

pork wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:01 pm earthquakes are easy. they hit and are over in like a minute much like your sex life.
:lol: