Stephen Strasberg retires, still owed $105 million

Other people doing actual physical activities

Moderator: hawkfan8812

8-TrackJones
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Stephen Strasberg retires, still owed $105 million

Post by 8-TrackJones »

His contract runs til 2026. Not a bad retirement package...

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseb ... at-age-35/
Klaatu ......Barada .......Ncoughcoughcough.........Necktie.........Nickel.....
Animal
The Great Pretender

Re: Stephen Strasberg retires, still owed $105 million

Post by Animal »

i somehow think that if i was a sports owner, i would probably strike out the part of a contract that guarantees money after a person retires. If I had to pay them, they would have to at least mow my yard or take out the trash or do something in exchange.
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

My guess is that they came to an agreement where he got a little less than owed, and then it was converted to an annuity for the next 20 years. That seems to be how theyve been doing it the past 10 years or so
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Biker wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:37 pm My guess is that they came to an agreement where he got a little less than owed, and then it was converted to an annuity for the next 20 years. That seems to be how theyve been doing it the past 10 years or so
It's called "The Bonilla Plan"

As Mets fans we're very familiar with it.

P.S. It's not as bad an idea as people making fun of it claim. They can actually pay more over time than what's actually currently owed, and it's still good for the team.
In fact, Bonilla has a second deferred salary agreement with the Baltimore Orioles, who still owe him $500,000 a year from 2004-28. July 1 is a good day in the Bonilla household.
and
Stephen Strasburg has approximately $114 million in deferred salary coming to him through 2029. Not bad work if you can get it.
So they already stretched his salary out apparently

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bobb ... on-july-1/
Biker
Official UJR Russian Asset

Post by Biker »

FSchmertz wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:00 pm
Biker wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:37 pm My guess is that they came to an agreement where he got a little less than owed, and then it was converted to an annuity for the next 20 years. That seems to be how theyve been doing it the past 10 years or so
It's called "The Bonilla Plan"

As Mets fans we're very familiar with it.

P.S. It's not as bad an idea as people making fun of it claim. They can actually pay more over time than what's actually currently owed, and it's still good for the team.
In fact, Bonilla has a second deferred salary agreement with the Baltimore Orioles, who still owe him $500,000 a year from 2004-28. July 1 is a good day in the Bonilla household.
and
Stephen Strasburg has approximately $114 million in deferred salary coming to him through 2029. Not bad work if you can get it.
So they already stretched his salary out apparently

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bobb ... on-july-1/
But its not just for bad contracts and buyouts anymore; the Nats gave Scherzer a ton of deferred cash in his contract. Its common place now
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

You could make a hell of a roster of retired players that will be pulling in deferred payments in about 6-8 years from now.
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

Steve Youngs agent earned his cut. I believe he is still getting paid under his USFL contract from 40 years ago
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."