Where will Shohei Ohtani end up?

Other people doing actual physical activities

Moderator: hawkfan8812

8-TrackJones
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Re: Where will Shohei Ohtani end up?

Post by 8-TrackJones »

Klaatu ......Barada .......Ncoughcoughcough.........Necktie.........Nickel.....
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

B-Tender wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:03 am Of the $700M in the contract, only $460M counts against the CBT(Competitive Balance Tax). I don't understand why this is so.
By structuring the contract in this way, the idea is to give the Dodgers more financial flexibility in the short term, but also ease their burden relative to the Competitive Balance Tax (CBT). For 2024, the CBT is $237 million, and with the structure of this deal the Dodgers would currently be under the CBT threshold, though it is assumed more big moves are on the way.

A team's Competitive Balance Tax figure is determined using the average annual value of each player's contract on the 40-man roster, plus any additional player benefits. If there was no money deferred, the AAV on Ohtani’s contract would be $70 million. However, any money deferred outside the term of the contract is calculated using its present-day value.

Because the value of a dollar decreases over time, the contract has a present-day value of roughly $460 million for the purposes of the CBT, given that so much of it is deferred for more than a decade. Therefore, the Dodgers will have a CBT payroll hit of roughly $46 million per year for the next 10 years from Ohtani’s contract. Essentially, Ohtani offered to defer this much money in order for the Dodgers to have payroll flexibility to continue building a winning team.
Because the value of a dollar decreases over time...

you're the number guy. Maybe you can explain, because I am still confused....
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

Burn1dwn wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:58 pm
B-Tender wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:03 am Of the $700M in the contract, only $460M counts against the CBT(Competitive Balance Tax). I don't understand why this is so.
By structuring the contract in this way, the idea is to give the Dodgers more financial flexibility in the short term, but also ease their burden relative to the Competitive Balance Tax (CBT). For 2024, the CBT is $237 million, and with the structure of this deal the Dodgers would currently be under the CBT threshold, though it is assumed more big moves are on the way.

A team's Competitive Balance Tax figure is determined using the average annual value of each player's contract on the 40-man roster, plus any additional player benefits. If there was no money deferred, the AAV on Ohtani’s contract would be $70 million. However, any money deferred outside the term of the contract is calculated using its present-day value.

Because the value of a dollar decreases over time, the contract has a present-day value of roughly $460 million for the purposes of the CBT, given that so much of it is deferred for more than a decade. Therefore, the Dodgers will have a CBT payroll hit of roughly $46 million per year for the next 10 years from Ohtani’s contract. Essentially, Ohtani offered to defer this much money in order for the Dodgers to have payroll flexibility to continue building a winning team.

So the way I read this, is they are saying $46M/yr now is equal to $70M/yr 10 years from now. I'm assuming they are using a standard inflation rate. Basically, Otani signed a $460M contract, but because he is differing the payout, it will take $700M in 2034 dollars to provide the same value.
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

B-Tender wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:35 pm

So the way I read this, is they are saying $46M/yr now is equal to $70M/yr 10 years from now. I'm assuming they are using a standard inflation rate. Basically, Otani signed a $460M contract, but because he is differing the payout, it will take $700M in 2034 dollars to provide the same value.
The Dodgers will make $250-$300m in merchandise sales alone to the Japanese market within 3-4 years.
The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

saltydog wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:50 pm
B-Tender wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:35 pm

The Dodgers will make $250-$300m in merchandise sales alone to the Japanese market within 3-4 years.
Maybe earlier?

The problem is not that there is evil in the world, the problem is that there is good. Because otherwise, who would care?
B-Tender
Christ, get a life already!

Post by B-Tender »

This will make it even sweeter when the Dodgers win 100 games in the regular season and then lose in the first or second round of the playoffs.
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

saltydog wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:51 pm
It would be funny if he doesn't get #17. :lol:
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
saltydog
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by saltydog »

B-Tender wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:59 pm This will make it even sweeter when the Dodgers win 100 games in the regular season and then lose in the first or second round of the playoffs.
To the "out of nowhere Marlins or Reds". LOL
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Where will Ohtani end up? Not in Cooperstown. Maybe...

https://www.theskippersview.com/p/innoc ... -next-pete

Uh oh...
Burn1dwn
Non-Gay Omar

Post by Burn1dwn »

Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

This guy fucked up. big.
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

too bad pete rose didnt have an interpreter
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

pork wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:54 pm too bad pete rose didnt have an interpreter
if escaping gambling charges is as simple as pointing to another guy and saying "he did it". then I wonder why Pete Rose didn't think of that?
Reservoir Dog
Ricky
Location: Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

Post by Reservoir Dog »

Animal wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:27 pm
pork wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:54 pm too bad pete rose didnt have an interpreter
if escaping gambling charges is as simple as pointing to another guy and saying "he did it". then I wonder why Pete Rose didn't think of that?
There's something smelly going on here.

How could an interpreter get access to millions of Ohtani's money?
CentralTexasCrude wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:00 am You both fucked up. You trusted me.
Ricrude
No life apart from this stupid forum board
Interests: Drinking, gambling, running around with the wrong crowd, pranks...typical UJ stuff.

Post by Ricrude »

Hopefully next door...Oops...Wrong Thread...!
It is absolutely amazing that some people survive walking out of their homes...fo reelz!
pork
Grouchy old fart.

Post by pork »

I hope they catch him and torch his $700 million contract. Its not that i want to see ohtani get busted i just hate the fucking dodgers. did rose ever try and pin it on someone else?
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Reservoir Dog wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:34 pm

No doubt about it. And I am going to bet that they have the proof. what will it take for that interpreter to roll over on him?
Ricrude
No life apart from this stupid forum board
Interests: Drinking, gambling, running around with the wrong crowd, pranks...typical UJ stuff.

Post by Ricrude »

Animal wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:44 pm
Reservoir Dog wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:34 pm

No doubt about it. And I am going to bet that they have the proof. what will it take for that interpreter to roll over on him?
Freedom from prosecution...
It is absolutely amazing that some people survive walking out of their homes...fo reelz!