HomeBrew's Military thread

All the news from the peanut gallery and where all the nasty trash talk fails miserably.
It can get NSFW-ish here: you have been warned!

Moderator: Animal

CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Re: HomeBrew's Military thread

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Animal wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:54 pm
Homebrew wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:28 pm Image
Japanese representatives, including Foreign Minister Shigemitsu Mamoru (with walking cane) and Gen. Umezu Yoshijiro (front right), on board the USS Missouri during the surrender ceremonies, September 2, 1945.

Gen. Douglas MacArthur signing the agreement by which Japan surrendered to Allied forces—thereby ending World War II—on the USS Missouri battleship in Tokyo Bay, September 2, 1945. Standing behind MacArthur are U.S. Lieut. Gen. Jonathan M. Wainwright (left) and British Lieut. Gen. Arthur Percival.

When I was a kid the USS Missouri (BB-63) was a floating museum docked in Washington St. near Bremerton. We visited family in the area often and I spent quite some time on this ship and there was a huge round marker on the deck that marked where this event happened.

When I was in the service they were in the process of recommissioning her in San Diego and 90% of the guys I trained with were assigned to her. Me? I got assigned to a fucking building...
i wonder how, back then, that they draw up these documents and got the desk and everything together to have that ceremony on a battleship out in the sea? You would think it would have been pretty spur of the moment to end a war.
The ceremony took place in Tokyo bay packed with US warships. After the surrender ceremony, there was flyover of almost 2,000 allied warplanes. Missouri at left
CentralTexasCrude
Pumpkin Muppet
Location: In the middle of frickin everywhere's bad thoughts.

Post by CentralTexasCrude »

Japanese representatives, including Foreign Minister Shigemitsu Mamoru (with walking cane) and Gen. Umezu Yoshijiro (front right), on board the USS Missouri during the surrender ceremonies, September 2, 1945.

Gen. Douglas MacArthur signing the agreement by which Japan surrendered to Allied forces—thereby ending World War II—on the USS Missouri battleship in Tokyo Bay, September 2, 1945. Standing behind MacArthur are U.S. Lieut. Gen. Jonathan M. Wainwright (left) and British Lieut. Gen. Arthur Percival.

When I was a kid the USS Missouri (BB-63) was a floating museum docked in Washington St. near Bremerton. We visited family in the area often and I spent quite some time on this ship and there was a huge round marker on the deck that marked where this event happened.

When I was in the service they were in the process of recommissioning her in San Diego and 90% of the guys I trained with were assigned to her. Me? I got assigned to a fucking building...
Last 2 things about these 2 photos. In the top one, the Japanese Foreign Minister (top hat and cane) lost his leg in the early 1930's during a bomb throwing assassination attempt in China against Emperor Hirohito. They had a very hard time getting him aboard the battleship for the ceremony and back down again.
In the bottom photo, the frail gaunt man behind Macarthur is Lt Gen Wainwright. He is standing there for a reason. He was Macarthur's top General in the Philippines when the Japanese attacked the same day as Pearl Harbor. When FDR ordered Macarthur to flee to Australia, he left Wainwright in charge. He surrender US forces, endured the Bataan Death March and was a Japanese POW for almost 3 1/2 years. He was released just days before the surrender ceremony and when he met Macarthur, he collapsed in his arms in tears. All that time, he thought he had let down not only the military but his Country. That's why he is standing there.
Homebrew
Actually drinks Natty Lite.

Post by Homebrew »

Deathproof wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:59 am
Homebrew wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:52 pm
Deathproof wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:08 am
Homebrew wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:49 pm Groovy, thanks, I'm from a military family so this stuff is of interest to me.
Same here. I never served, but my dad and grandfathers going back several generations did.
I was in the Navy mid 80's, my older adopted brother did two tours in the Navy also. Uncle did 20 years 7 months and 1 day in the Marines and my step dad was a B-24 pilot in WWII. Also several cousins have served.

So you were serving at roughly the same time as my dad. He was Captain, 3rd Rank in the SSV (Sovetskaya Sukhoputnye Voyska). His father was part of the 106th Guards Airborne Division of the Vozdushno-Desantnye Voyska, the Soviet Airborne Forces. I'm told at least two previous generations served too, but the records have been lost.
Most of my step dads records were also lost due to a fire in a government building, so he was buried as a private instead of lieutenant.
What if it was one guy with six guns?
FSchmertz
UJR Chief Meme Factchecker

Post by FSchmertz »

Umezu Yoshijiro, the general in that picture, was convicted of war crimes and sentenced to life imprisonment, and died in jail.
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

On September 15, 1950, 1st Lt. Baldomero Lopez, is photographed leading his men of 3rd Platoon, Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, over the seawall on the northern side of Red Beach, as the second assault wave lands at Incheon, Korea.

Lt. Lopez would be killed in action within a few minutes after this photo was taken. He threw himself on top of a hand grenade to shield his men from the blast. He would posthumously receive the Medal of Honor for his selfless act of heroism.
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

Homebrew wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:28 pm Image

On September 15, 1950, 1st Lt. Baldomero Lopez, is photographed leading his men of 3rd Platoon, Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, over the seawall on the northern side of Red Beach, as the second assault wave lands at Incheon, Korea.

Lt. Lopez would be killed in action within a few minutes after this photo was taken. He threw himself on top of a hand grenade to shield his men from the blast. He would posthumously receive the Medal of Honor for his selfless act of heroism.
Animal is not gonna like this post.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

the sad part is thinking about how we were convinced at that time that communism was going to spread throughout all of asia and then across the world.
theclap
Needs to step away from the keyboard.

Post by theclap »

Animal wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:54 pm

i wonder how, back then, that they draw up these documents and got the desk and everything together to have that ceremony on a battleship out in the sea? You would think it would have been pretty spur of the moment to end a war.
I don't know about the docs but the desk was just a mess table already on the ship, covered with a green tablecloth.
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

Today is National POW/MIA Recognition Day! It is observed on the third Friday in September. We honor and remember those who were prisoners of war and those who are still missing in action. They shall never be forgotten.
Bluespruce1964
Tomorrow's Best Poster
Interests: boating, fishing, dating, travel, music, trivia, crossword puzzles, coffee, reading, photography, swimming, grilling, smoking, building

Post by Bluespruce1964 »

I'm up early.
Deathproof
UJR гитара герой чемпион
Interests: музыка, сиськи, литература, сыр и Леттеркенни

Post by Deathproof »

Bluespruce1964 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:29 am Image
We have to ban those guns. Liberals find them "scary".
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids. Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids... no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.” -- lifelong segregationist Joe Biden
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

The Full $16Bn List Of What Biden Has Sent Ukraine:

Over 1,400 Stinger anti-aircraft systems

More stuff-more pics

https://assets.zerohedge.com/s3fs-publi ... k=1iyCYkBm
A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

Charliesheen wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:06 am The Full $16Bn List Of What Biden Has Sent Ukraine:

Over 1,400 Stinger anti-aircraft systems

More stuff-more pics

https://assets.zerohedge.com/s3fs-publi ... k=1iyCYkBm
That URL link only opens that same pic.
Charliesheen
Snarky Fucker

Post by Charliesheen »

A cunt is a cunt by any other name.
Bluespruce1964
Tomorrow's Best Poster
Interests: boating, fishing, dating, travel, music, trivia, crossword puzzles, coffee, reading, photography, swimming, grilling, smoking, building

Post by Bluespruce1964 »

I'm up early.
Bluespruce1964
Tomorrow's Best Poster

Post by Bluespruce1964 »

I'm up early.
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

USS West Virginia (BB-48) docked at Puget Sound Navy Yard, circa early 1944. She returned active duty on September 14. It took 30 months to repair the damage from the Japanese Attack on December 7, 1941. She was hit by seven torpedoes and two bombs, which killed 117 of her sailors.
Bluespruce1964
Tomorrow's Best Poster

Post by Bluespruce1964 »

This is cool - you can put a nuke anywhere, select the size and type of detonation and then see the blast radius

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
I'm up early.
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

On October 3, 1993, U.S. Army Delta Snipers Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart, valiantly gave their lives in order to save the lives of their fellow soldiers during the battle of Mogadishu. Both men were posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions.

Armed with only their personal weapons and sidearms. Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon fought their way to the downed Blackhawk. By this time more Somali militiamen were arriving who were intent on either capturing or killing the American servicemen. When they reached site of downed Super Six Four, Gordon and Shughart extracted the pilot, Chief Warrant Officer Mike Durant and the other crew members from the aircraft, and established defensive perimeter around the crash site.

Despite having inflicted heavy casualties against the Somalis, the two Delta snipers were too outnumbered and outgunned. Their ammunition nearly depleted, Gordon and Shughart were killed by Somali militias gunfire. Later investigation and reconstruction concluded that Gordon was first to be killed. His teammate Randy Shughart retrieved Gordon’s CAR-15 and gave it to Michael Durant to use. Shortly after, Randy Shughart was killed and Durant was taken alive. Immediately after the battle, the Somalis counted at least 25 of their own men dead with many more severely wounded.
Bluespruce1964
Tomorrow's Best Poster

Post by Bluespruce1964 »

I'm up early.
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

Bluespruce1964 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:02 am Image

did you get a 3D printer?
rule34
No life apart from this stupid forum board

Post by rule34 »

Animal wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:10 am
Bluespruce1964 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:02 am Image

did you get a 3D printer?
That's his new but plug.
du.du.du.dude looks like a lady
Animal
The Great Pretender

Post by Animal »

imagine the surprise when the prison guard tries to take it out.
Geist
Big Meaty Lobster Cocks

Post by Geist »

Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

The guided-missile destroyer USS Cole was attacked by suicide bombers while refueling in Yemen 22 years ago today, Oct. 12, 2000. The explosion blasted a large hole in the hull of the ship, killing 17 U.S. Navy sailors and injuring 39 others.

The attack was the deadliest attack against a U.S. Navy destroyer since 1987. It was reported that the event foreshadowed the 9/11 terrorist attacks, which would take place less than a year later.

Al-Qaida claimed the attack, and a U.S. judge later ruled that Sudan was responsible for the attack. Another judge released more than $13 million in frozen Sudanese assets to the families of those sailors who were killed.