Court blocks Alabama from executing Muslim inmate without his imam present

For all the MAGAt Trumpeteers and Lie-brul commies to post their wearisome screeds.
The board admins are not responsible for any items posted from Biker's FaceBook feed.
Anyone posting Ben Garrison comics gets a three-day vacation.

In memory of our lost political forum members. :cry:

Moderator: Biker

stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-blocks- ... d=60905497

By MORGAN WINSOR Feb 7, 2019, 11:40 AM ET

A federal appeals court on Wednesday blocked the execution of a Muslim inmate in Alabama after the state refused to allow his imam to be at his death instead of a Christian prison chaplain.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit granted an emergency stay of execution for 42-year-old Domineque Ray one day before he was scheduled to be put to death for the rape and murder of 15-year-old Tiffany Harville more than two decades ago in Selma, Alabama. The Alabama attorney general's office has asked the United States Supreme Court to vacate the stay and let it proceed with the execution scheduled for Thursday evening, according to court documents.

"The central constitutional problem here is that the state has regularly placed a Christian cleric in the execution room to minister to the needs of Christian inmates, but has refused to provide the same benefit to a devout Muslim and all other non-Christians," a panel of three district judges wrote in their decision Wednesday.

Ray has been held at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama, since he was convicted and sentenced to death in 1999. He has been a devout Muslim since at least 2006 and has been meeting with his current imam who has provided religious ministry to Muslim inmates like Ray since 2015, according to court documents.

On Jan. 23, two weeks before his scheduled execution, Ray met with the prison warden who, apparently for the first time, explained the practices and policies that the Alabama Department of Corrections adheres to during executions. Among other things, the warden told Ray that a Christian chaplain employed by the department would be in the death chamber as a lethal cocktail of drugs is administered. The inmate's designated witnesses, along with any spiritual adviser other than the prison chaplain, may be seated in a witness room, separated from the execution chamber by a large window, according to court documents.

Ray asked if he could bring in his imam in place of the prison chaplain, but was told his request couldn't be honored due to the department's policy. Ray and his attorneys filed a civil rights complaint and an emergency motion for stay of execution on Jan. 28, claiming the policy violated his constitutional rights.

The Alabama Department of Corrections has agreed to exclude the prison chaplain from the death chamber, but a district judge on Friday denied Ray's initial request for a stay of execution. The judge wrote that Ray waited "until the eleventh hour" to make his legal claim, it's a matter of safety and security, and Ray's imam, who is not a department of corrections employee, is "untrained, inexperienced and outside the state's control."

Ray filed an appeal and the court overturned the denial.

"We welcome this decision and hope Mr. Ray will ultimately be provided equal access to spiritual guidance," Ali Massoud, the government affairs coordinator for the Alabama chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), said in a statement Wednesday.

The three-judge panel wrote in their decision that it was "exceedingly loath to substitute our judgment on prison procedures," but that "it looks substantially likely to us that Alabama has run afoul of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment."

"What is central to Establishment Clause jurisprudence is the fundamental principle that at a minimum neither the states nor the federal government may pass laws or adopt policies that aid one religion or prefer one religion over another," the judges wrote. "And that, it appears to us, is what the Alabama Department of Corrections has done here."
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Re: Court blocks Alabama from executing Muslim inmate without his imam present

Post by CaptQuint »

untrained, inexperienced and outside the state's control

Praying to Allah or whatever spook magic he's gonna do should be outside the states control. I don't think the Chaplain assists with the actual procedure so what's the difference
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

I'm going to put in my Dali Lama request ahead of time.
I blame Biker.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Stapes wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:44 pm I'm going to put in my Dali Lama request ahead of time.
Carl Spackler: So I jump ship in Hong Kong and I make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas.

Angie D’Annunzio: A looper?

Carl Spackler: A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I’m a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald… striking. So, I’m on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one – big hitter, the Lama – long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga… gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he’s gonna stiff me. And I say, “Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.” And he says, “Oh, uh, there won’t be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.” So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Antknot
Not UJR's Military Attaché

Post by Antknot »

BigRedRetard wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:30 pm As long as he is executed.
This.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

Biker wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:17 pm
captquint wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:22 pm untrained, inexperienced and outside the state's control

Praying to Allah or whatever spook magic he's gonna do should be outside the states control. I don't think the Chaplain assists with the actual procedure so what's the difference
If we're at least going to pretend disguise state sponsored executions as humane, then at the very least they can honor the condemned's request to have their own religious figure there
The condemned last meal request should be fulfilled (within reason) as well. I heard one state stopped after a prisoner requested a bunch of shit and didn't eat it.
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

I just thought it was some low rent shit to tell the guy they'd provide him with a Christian Chaplain and figured that would be cool with someone who adheres to a different religion. I'm also surprised this is the first time this issue has come up if they have never provided anything other than a Christian Chaplain before.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Bit of a no brainer on the constitutional question, all religions or none. I had a quick look at the case, him and a buddy robbed, raped and killed a 15 year old girl, doesn't seem to be any question over guilt or innocence, they both did it. The buddy confessed first and got life for cooperating, leaving this guy to take the death side.

Personally I'm opposed to the death penalty in all cases no matter what the circumstances, but this is at least not one where there is any doubt.
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

captquint wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:22 pm untrained, inexperienced and outside the state's control

If we're at least going to pretend disguise state sponsored executions as humane, then at the very least they can honor the condemned's request to have their own religious figure there
I agree, though if they want to fuck with him they can send in a Rabbi.
wut?
stymiegreen
Chief Biden Ballwasher

Post by stymiegreen »

Biker wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:38 pm
Wut wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:36 pm

I agree, though if they want to fuck with him they can send in a Rabbi.
Oh wait, NPCgreen cant think outside the box so I need to revise my reply.....

He's a muzzie scumbag, fuck him!!! And let him die!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I guess that ointment hasn't kicked in yet. Apply liberally every 4 hours.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Biker only supports the execution of innocent full term babies. He's a democrat.
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast
Interests: Breasts

Post by Who »

Get a politician from Virginia, I’m sure they can fake their way through it
A Legend In His Own Mind

All Posts Fair & Balanced
PimpDaddy
Flat and Bony Ass Lover

Post by PimpDaddy »

I thought Dems were OK killing babies after they were born, because of mental stress?
VinceBordenIII
Loves swimmin' with bowlegged women!

Post by VinceBordenIII »

Executions are a waste of resources. Leave him in prison to die an old man.
CaptQuint
Biker's Biatch

Post by CaptQuint »

PimpDaddy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:59 pm I thought Dems were OK killing babies after they were born, because of mental stress?
nope
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

Biker wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:11 pm
analhamster wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:51 pm Biker only supports the execution of innocent full term babies. He's a democrat.
If only I could be as conservative on abortion as UK policy is
You can be, just support the VA policy you were arguing against until you tried to pretend it was conservative because you're too much of a baby to admit error. Just like you did.
CHEEZY17
Libertarian house cat

Post by CHEEZY17 »

And he's dead.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

5-4 party lines vote. Pretty sad that the con court isn't a fan of the first amendment.
Who
Adult Diaper Enthusiast
Interests: Breasts

Post by Who »

PimpDaddy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:59 pm I thought Dems were OK killing babies after they were born, because of mental stress?
as are Republican Congressmen
A Legend In His Own Mind

All Posts Fair & Balanced
Wut
Denmarkian Citizen

Post by Wut »

So they should exclude chaplains for Christians then.
wut?
QillerDaemon
Crazy Old Cat Lady
Interests: キラーデモン

Post by QillerDaemon »

BigRedRetard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:39 pm It was a state execution. There is also a thing called separation of church and state. The correct decision was made.
I'm still trying to parse this bit from the article:
The judge wrote that Ray waited "until the eleventh hour" to make his legal claim, it's a matter of safety and security, and Ray's imam, who is not a department of corrections employee, is "untrained, inexperienced and outside the state's control."
And just how does one become a "trained and experienced" death chamber minister? And get made "inside" the state's control, maybe become a certified religious vendor? Seems kinda chicken 'n egg:
"I want to be a death chamber minister."
"Do you have any experience as one?"
"No."
"Well you have to have experience and training to become one."
"And how do I get that?"
"Er, well, you have to have attended an execution as a minister and taken our training course."
"... So how did your current death chamber minister get his qualifications?"

And plenty of condemned have gotten eleventh hour stays on lesser issues.If it's going to get the guy to go willingly (enough) into the chamber and allow a needle to get stuck in his arm, let him have his damn hoodoo priest present to help out the whole process. Otherwise, the Alabama DOC is just acting like a sack of dicks on a fairly minor point in finishing up the whole job.
If you can't be a good example, you can still serve as a horrible warning.
“All mushrooms are edible. Some even more than once!”
これを グーグル 翻訳に登録してくれておめでとう、バカ。
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

There was really only one conclusion possible on the constitutional question, providing a christian but not any other faith was a clear violation of the first amendment. The con court knew that, so they wriggled out of it by not hearing the constitutional question. They dismissed based on the application being made too late, despite the fact that the inmate was only told about the rule five days before the application for a stay was filed. The republican party supports the death penalty so the republican party judges ignored the law. Pretty fucked up situation y'all are in with the judicial branch.
Stapes
World's Only Blue Collar Guy

Post by Stapes »

We love are killin' in this country. Just don't try to show a boob.....'cause Jesus and the children
I blame Biker.
AnalHamster
Doctor Chaser

Post by AnalHamster »

No religion at all allowed wouldn't be a constitutional problem, but preference for one religion over others is.